• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Tosh 350eMR as an upscaler

X

XRayLexx

Ive heard this DVD player is a good little player that upscales to 720p and 1080i via HDMI and Componenet.

1)Is is a good player for the price?
2)Is the HDMI output good? Ive heard it works best through component?
3)Does it have a Digital OPTICAL out?
4)Will it work well with my Sagem Axium HD45?

loz

Distinguished Member
well your TV upscales too of course (otherwise the picture wouldn't fill the screen).
The question is, does the scaler in the DVD player do it better than the scaler in the TV?

Given your sagem has scaling chips by Faroudja - on the best known names in the scaling business - it is perhaps doubtful that a £89'ish DVD player is going to do it better.

X

XRayLexx

But my current DVD player only outputs RGB Scart and therefore isnt outputting a Progressive Scan signal, no?

Nic Rhodes

Distinguished Member
But the Sagem does the progressive and scaling bit already. What loz has said is this is happening already and it is simply a matter of where the best place to do it is.

loz

Distinguished Member
The Toshiba 350 is still a good DVD player. It seems to get very good reviews in view of its price. I read one review that said the component output was better than the HDMI output.

If you only have a RGB capable DVD player at present you may find that the Toshiba can improve the PQ anyway, but connected via component and leave the upscaling to the Sagem.

Of course, if you buy it, you will have the luxury of being able to try all the combinations and see which you prefer. I look forward to your views if you do.

Bolf

Established Member
Have used the 350 on both upscaled HDMI and component output on many screens , Hitachi 42pd6600 , 42pd7500 and a pioneer pdp435fde , and a Samsung 50.

I have to agree the hdmi output is not as nice as the component , i even tried it side by side with a Samsung DVDHD950. The samsung won on HMDI and Tosh was a nicer component image.

That said nothing beats a Denon dvd1920 so far , will eagerly await a trial of a Cambridge Audio DVD89

It has a coax out for your dolby digital / dts surround sound. Sound is actualy very good on this player, and i do agree that picture wise a decent set of component leads produce a better picture than hdmi.

P

Pelle76

Took the plunge and bought the Toshiba 350e.
First impressions, without even viewing a DVD, is that:

1. The carriage for the DVD itself has a very bright blue diod lighting it up. You can disable it in the menu... but it has to be done each time you turn on the unit :(.

2. With some CD's the rotation sound can be quite bad. (I'll test more CD's when I have the chance). It also seem quite picky with CD's.

3. The unit's length is smaller than standard stereo equipment, but it has standard width. It's not really a beautiful piece of equipment, but the philips all are raving about looked even worse.

4. It has coax digital out, using it to connect to my yamaha multichannel receiver.

5. Damn, HDMI cables are expensive!.

X

XRayLexx

My Home Cinema amp doesnt have a Co-Ax input so the Tosh has been crossed off my list. Possibly going for the Samsung 850 or 950 now. Though cant tell if there is any difference!!!

Bolf

Established Member
950 supports DVD-a and SACD

Also comes with both HDMI and DVI cable

Whereas the 850 comes with HDMI only

X

XRayLexx

Got the new 950.

Its a good DVD player but some annoying "quirks".

The light is bright. You can turn it off but it comes back on when you turn it on again!

When you connect via Bitstream to get Optical out it displays an irritating HDMI Audio not supported when you play a DVD for a few seconds.

And the whole RGB, RBG Expand, and other types of output are very confusing.

But defo a better quality than my old Tosh 330.

D

Diode

A quick fix is small pieces of black PVC tape on the inside ot the tray opening - it reduces the Cylon Attack to two dots.

My (second) 350 is going back - the picture keeps freezing on known good DVDs. I'm going to try teh HD850.

nick501

Distinguished Member
thats wierd...i've just gone from a sammy hd850 to a toshsd350e.

sound is better from the tosh. HDMI PQ is the same IMHO. Sammy is the nicer looking player though.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom