Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tosh 340e Problems?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by weyland-yutani, Jan 17, 2005.

1. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    i own this player and am having to adjust my tvs brightness constantly depending on the dvd i'm watching. the biggest difference comes when watching either R1 or R2 discs, R1 requiring me to increase the brightness 10 points. has anyone else with this player noticed any problems of this kind?

thanks. :)

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Its probably more related to how your tv handles ntsc/60hz compared to pal/50hz. On a CRT in ntsc mode the lines get stretched out and there are slight gaps which cause picture brightness to dim slightly. For example a completely white pal image is 576 white lines but the same with ntsc is only 480 white lines and therefore it isn't as bright as these 480 lines are spread out over the same area as the 576. I suppose if the tv could thicken these lines it could be the same but they don't normally. They could also increase brightness on the ntsc mode only to compensate but again they don't normally as not much ntsc optimisation takes place for uk spec tvs.

3. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104

but when i used the thx optimiser on the new starwars dvds, to get the brightness down to a level where the drop shadow disappears, this causes the film to be way too dark :confused:

in other 340e baddness, it won't play my R2 superbit "blackhawkdown". it freezes every few seconds or freezes then jumps chapters. is this a known problem with superbits?

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The superbit problem sounds like the same old story of Toshiba fitting rubbish drives. The film freezing is because it can't read the data and the film skipping a chapter is because it can't read a lot of data. I sent my Toshiba 330e because of problems of a similar nature.

5. weyland-yutani

weyland-yutani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +104
    bump to see if any other 340e owners have any similer probs?

6. sparticus

sparticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi mate
    Ive just done comparison between 340e and 575 and i thought tosh better. But one thing that became apparent is the tosh gets hot on top of my amp. This kept screwing my brightness over time. Turn it off for a few hours and all back to normal. Took me a while to figure it out. Moved the dvd player and ive had it on all day today with no probs. Hope this helps.