1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 340 versus Pioneer 575

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bigweed, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I was definitely decided on the Pioneer for a couple of days, but it seems that the Tosh 340 has the same features and near the same PQ for much less money. Has anyone managed to compare them both?

Also, what is the main differences between the two besides SACD and DVDA, as I have neither of these types of disc??

Is one better constructed than the other? I have read some people say that the Pioneer is quite cheap and plasticky when it comes to its construction. What about the Tosh??

What about "layer change"? ( I put that in quote marks as I dont know what it means, but have read people saying that it is important, can anyone tell me what layer change is??)

Cheers for everyones help

Bigweed

2. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Im in the same position, dont know which one to go for.

However, I really hate the Toshiba remote control, and its aesthetics, so I'll probably be going with the Pioneer.

3. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,686
    If you are looking to do a direct comparison, you should really look at the Pioneer 470 (which is similar to the 575, but without SACD and DVD-A), albeit nit released yet. The pioneer 575, is probably a comparison to the Toshiba 540E.

Ricky

4. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +332
    Isnt it more the Tosh 340 versus the Pioneer 470..... featurewise they seem near identical. I know only the Pioneer 575 is out at moment and is a good guide to what the 470 will be like from a divx pov.

5. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, doing a comparison with the 470 would be more like for like. However, I am impatient!! :)

I also have money burning a hole in my pocket!!

I only wanted to find out about the 575 versus the 340 as I am not interested in DVDA and SACD, so it was a valid comparison, I believe...

Is it true that the 340 cannot play DVD-RW whereas the 575 and 470 can?? This would possibly be a deciding factor for me, as I would like a DVD player which can play at least one form of rewriteable DVD, whether -RW or +RW or RAM.

Bigweed

6. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Hi Bigweed - Almost all retail DVD's have the information written onto two layers (one deeper than the other) - your machine reads the first and then moves on to the second to complete the movie - some machines have a pause when changing layers, others seem to be less affected by it. Anyway, that's what "layer change" is all about - hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers,

Martin.

7. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I have seen on leconcepts.com on their description of the Tosh 340 that it plays DVD-Rs not sure about any other recordable format.

It says DVD-R compatible on the Tosh web site too.

8. Captain_Danger

Captain_Danger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I have tested the 575 thoroughly on layer changes, and the Pioneer performs them seamlessly with no pause or any (disk drive) noise at all, very impressive.
    I tested several "bad" disks for layer changes most notably Gladiator and The Living Daylights, which have the pause in a less than perfect place, and neither had any sign of picture or sound pauses, completely seamless - top stuff.

9. FlimsyFeet

FlimsyFeet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    In my highly scientific poll the Pioneer DV-470 came out ahead of the Toshiba SD340E.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140514

I went ahead and ordered a Pioneer - based on the factthat more people seem to have one (or a 575) and have posted positive reports. However, unbeatable were out of stock.

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    Flimsyfeet,

The vote is now equal between 470 and 340.

Anyway, I'm sure there is more difference internally than only the lack of sacd/dvd-a between 470 and 575, as the MRRP between them is not small at all.

And looking at the previous generation, 230/330 won all tests in all UK magazines in its class, even if Pioneer 360/464 got 5stars as well.

It will be interesting when the first tests between them are done.

Didn't notice the lack of -rw though.

Wasabi

11. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Does anyone have a Tosh 340? Does it play DVD - or + RWs?

I ordered a Tosh 340 on Friday but I'm confused again.... Typical...

Edit:

I have been doing some checking and the only place where I can see any mention of the Tosh 340 being NTSC Prog Scan is on the leconcepts.com website. I am going to speak to them later today to see if they can confirm this is true or if they have it wrong.

12. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Did you speak to leconepts? If so what did they say?

I am torn between the tosh340 and pioneer 575 or 470.

Unable to make my mind up!!!!!!

13. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Well I went and read the What Hi-Fi review and came away thinking that the Tosh was the best package but the Pioneer was the best DVD player in general. By Pioneer I mean the 575.

When I called leconcepts I wanted to change my order from the Tosh to the Pioneer but the guy (Chris is his name, if you want to chat to him, very helpful) said that in his opinion the Tosh has better prog scan output and the components and build quality are superior to the Pioneer. Also, he said it does play DVD-RWs and the player does output NTSC prog scan! (It is confirmed in the What hi-fi review, albeit for the 240 model anyway...).

Looking at the price and fact I've waited long enough I think the Tosh 340 is a no brainer. :thumbsup:

I have 7 days to decide if I want to keep it anyway just in case. Give them a call and chat to them if you like.

14. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Waser

Do you or anyone else know if the Tosh has a toslink connection for audio out. I want to plug it into my Pioneer Amp via this method.
    The Tosh website seems to contradict itself as it says it has Optical audio under the specifications but if you view the connections it makes no mention.

I am heading towards the Tosh which is £80 delivered from Amazon and the availability of the optical audio (toslink) would make my mind up once and for all.

15. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    To my knowledge it has an Optical out. If you like I can let you know for definite tomorrow (if it arrives tomorrow as leconcepts said it would) after I have had a look at the thing myself. But it's gonna be late by the time I get home. Probably midnight before I can get online....

Or you can just give leconcepts a call and ask them about it...

16. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

thanks Waser - I would appreciate that.

17. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    hornet_boys, I have checked and it does have an Optical out.

I haven't been able to spend much time with it so give me a couple of days if you want impressions.

18. hornet_boys

hornet_boys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks kindly Waser.

I will order from Amazon - if its no good I have 7 days to send it back.

Looking forward to see what you think of it.

19. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Waser,

Can you let us know if the drive generates noise during playback (I really hate my 210 for this)
    Also, is the menu still as slow as it used to be.

20. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    From what I can tell it does generate a tiny bit of noise. But I only played around with it briefly and I was sitting very close to the player.

I will test it from normal viewing distance tonight and let you know.

Prog Scan image is out this world by the way... :thumbsup:

21. Waser

Waser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    FYI, tested the player some more last night. There is a small amount of noise but it is not audible at normal volume levels. I only really notice it when sitting abnormally close to my TV.

Also the menus seem quick and fine to me but I am not sure what they were like before. My old Tosh had a much different menu setup.

22. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers Waser
    won't strike it off my list then.

23. Ade

Ade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Got the Tosh 340 the other week - not connected via Component though, but noticebly better than my old Tosh 110 through RGB scart.
    Excellent sound via Toslink opt out (to Marantz amp etc)
    The Tosh web site quoted DVD-R, but I've tried DVD+R and DVD+RW and all work fine !! (Verbatim disks).
    DivX & mp3 all work on the above mentioned formats ok.

Also, it's quieter than my old Tosh 110, as I can no longer hear it from my sofa. Haven't noticed any layer-change !! so it must be virtually eliminated on this model - I used to notice it on nearly every disk on the older model. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention!

Very pleased with Tosh 340 - it may still become a 2nd player to the Pioneer 575 in 6 months or so, but it will be a great player for the bedroom at least .....

24. Phil Lee

Phil Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a Toshiba SD 340E multi-region player to replace my old Toshiba SD210E region 2 player last Thursday. I've been on the lookout for a reasonably priced player that supported PAL and NTSC progressive scan for quite a while and since I've been very happy with the SD210E I decided to go for the 340. I bought it from Amazon for £79.99 plus delivery which I thought was very reasonable.

The player is hooked up to my 32" Panasonic TV via component connectors and is using progressive scan. The coax audio is connected to an Aego P5 to handle the sound.

So far I have only watched one DVD, Fleetwood Mac Live in Boston, my first region DVD. I was very impressed by the picture quality. It was noticeably better than my old player which was connected using RGB via a QED Sqart RGB scart cable. Sound was excellent too. I didn't notice any noise from the player, although I wasn't specifically listening for any.

The only problem I've had with the player is that it has locked up a couple of times when moving around the menus within a DVD. I ran the THX callibration tool from the Raiders of the Lost Ark DVD and the player locked up at the end of the tool when it should have returned to the first screen. The player also locked up twice when trying to change the audio setup on the Fleetwood Mac concert. The only way to sort this out was to eject the disc and start again. If this happens again I may send the player back for a replacement.

I have also been getting into video editing recently so thought I'd try to play an mpg from a CD-R. The player couldn't play an mpg encoded at 8kbps (?) but was able to play one at 6kbps (?). The playback was very jerky though. I then created a mini-DVD on a CD-R using Ulead Videostudio 8, since I haven't got any blank DVD's at the moment. The player failed to recognise that the disc was a DVD, instead treating it as a CD-R and saying that it didn't have anything on it that could be played. When I pit the CD-R into my PC, it was detected as a DVD and could be played using PowerDVD with no problem.

25. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i can tell that the tosh can play -rw but not +rw

26. Ade

Ade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Have had no probs apart from Xvid avis, which seem to pause/jump for a few seconds quite regularly, but DivX avis (divx 3 & 5) work fine.

DVD+RW are definitely recognised by the Tosh, but can't comment on mini-DVDs.

27. Nigelpinder

Nigelpinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thought it was about time I upgraded my old Cyberhome 528 player. Looked around and the Toshiba SD-340E caught my eye. Bought one on Friday and tried it out over the weekend. Connected to my Toshiba 36ZP18 via Component cables.

The picture quality is very impressive, DivX performance is very good, seems better than watching via PC.

However, I have a serious problem with this player and cannt seem to find a way round it.

I own several DVD`s, but also a large selection of films for my kids, I learned from experience that sometimes they dont look after them as well as I do, so I burned backups for them to use, keeping the master safe.

I use Ritex DVD-R 4x disks, Pioneer 107 writer.

All these disks played fine in the cyberhome, however, after 1hour in the 340e, blockiness starts appearing, then after 1 1/2 hour, the disk locks completely. Have tried over 6 disks, all do the same, I have tried them on a friends Sony player (forgot the model number) and they all play fine.

I also tried watching my holiday movies I have transferred to DVD-R and the same thing happens.

Toshiba said the media I had used wasnt supported and implied that I was trying to watch `pirated` films.

If all you watch are original DVD`s, this player seems very good, but if you want to use and home burned disks, I would say avoid at all costs.

Nigel.

28. ashishn

ashishn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree Nigel,

More and more people want to watch homemade movies on DVD player and incompatibility with disks is a major problem with many of the players.

I didnt own a DVD player and thought that PC is good enough to watch DVD movies and homemade movies but PC monitor not as big as TV and living room is always a comfortable place where a family can sit and watch movies. So I bought this player.

I returned it today and bought Philips DVP-630 from Comet (I am doubtful about Amazon that it sends faulty products. I had a problem with Medion 40814 player as well.). 630 is working fine till now except some noise from the tray but better than not playing any disks.

Ashish

29. Ade

Ade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't know if it is connected or not, by my divx (on DVD-R) were getting 'blocky' after only 1 or 2 mins ! Oddly, have seemed alright after re-burning to dvd+r (same manufacturer - verbatim). Might be luck, or did something differently when burning them .... not sure. Try a DVD+R ?

30. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i've read that there are concerns over the build quality of the tosh. not so much the nuts an bolts more the chips used. there must have been sacrifices made to get it to that price. while it may be ok now it might not be in a year or twos time. i know a few people who have recently "lost" there 220s after about two years (myself included).

as for the SACD DVD-A and people saying their not interested, neither was I until i heard Dark Side of the Moon in 5.1 :eek: WOW!

Gary