tosh 34 or panny 50

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cameron365, Apr 20, 2005.

1. cameron365

cameron365
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am looking at the toshiba 34 or panasonic 50 to buy very soon. They are almost similar machines except the 34 has a 160g hard disc compared to 80 with the 50. looking at ease of use and reliability. Can anyone help / advice on a choice.

2. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I have the Panasonic 95, with the 160 gb HD, I got that for £369 and have to say Its a great machine. I have read there has been some faults on early players. After 4 months of using it I think its great and the playback quality from dvd is very good, from the hd you could never tell if it was pre-recorded or live from digital sat. The only thing i wish it could do would be to record in surround sound :)

The only fault or niggle is the player does a self check from standby mode when you first turn it on and takes around 10 seconds, before it will let you do anything. I know leave it on all the time and the hd just goes into sleep mode. Hope this helps

3. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've also been trying to decide between the Tosh 34 and Pany 50 and also the new Sony 510.

Will probably go with the Tosh as it has 160GB HDD, and can control a set-top box which is pretty essential for me. Advantages of the Pany appear to be 3' max high res recording to disc as opposed to Tosh's 2'20''. Sony design / name / build quality is also tempting.

4. cameron365

cameron365
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply howardmg.

i am tempted by the tosh, especially with the double hd. price not much difference, just get more for the money. found both makes on rgb direct and multi region too. i have a pana recorder (dmre50) at the moment and it seems to work fine. you mentioned that the tosh is able to control the digi box, how is this done?

the quick start up, SD slot and better picture on the panny might do it, still not sure.

5. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Believe it has an infra-red satelitte controller, although this may need a red-eye adaptor to control some digiboxes such as Telewest / Pace 4000.

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    Yes, it has an IR “dongle” you stick in front of your Sky or Freeview box. I have the XS32, and it works great with my Sony Freeview box.

The XS34 has DV-in, which is useful if you have a DV camcorder.

When I bought, it was between the XS32 and the Panny E85 or E95. What swung it for me is the 85/95 didn’t support writing to –RW which I needed. Now that the EH50 does support –RW, it would be a harder choice between this and the XS34. I find the quality of the XS32 recording excellent, though it is correct that the limit of full resolution recording is 2:20.

I wouldn’t want to give up the DV-in, so I think if I was choosing now I’d go for the XS34. Even though I do most of my DV editing and DVD creation on a PC, I find the DV in useful for making quick copies to DVD.

Mark

7. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172

well i've got a 50 and have to say it really is an amazing machine :thumbsup: - 1 second quick start & superior recording quality over other makes/models (new technology i think for the new panasonic's). it has started to appear in the latest hi-fi mags so might be worth checking those out too (what video & tv best buy i think)

the old 80/160 gb hard-drive debate stalled me for a while but unless you really are recording loads of tv & dont plan to back-up onto a dvd, then the 80gb on the panasonic will be more than enough.

stuart

8. cameron365

cameron365
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    stuart,

sorry to pick but are there any faults with the pana 50?

it's been a difficult choice but i think i will get the pana. Is the 50 able to control a sky digi box and do you have any recommendations for dvd-r media to be used with it.

9. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    on page 31 of the manual - 'to record programmes from satellite receiver by rgb signals'
    starts a page of instructions that apply if you have a sky digital stb box.

if you want blank media i was recommended verbatim discs & bought mine from - http://www.cd-rmedia.co.uk/cgi-bin2/listproducts.pl?type=specific&catid=16&manufacturer=0 - cheap, fast next day service. excellent company.

as for faults? i cant

stuart

10. howardmg

howardmg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think the Pany can get the digibox to control the DVD recorder, but not vica-versa

11. cameron365

cameron365
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered my panny 50 today. can't wait to get it and experiment with it. Stuart, any tips on setting it up?

12. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    hi cameron...yes i can help. though, i think i have different equipment (sony freeview box & the panny) to you.

this is how i connect -

sony freeview digi-box tv out scart (RGB) <----> panny av2 scart in (RGB)
    panny av1 scart out (RGB) <----> tv av1 scart in (RGB)

that way i have RGB pictures from the sony freeview routed thru the panny to the tv - RGB all the way!! and when i watch a dvd/hdd that is also RGB all the way again!!

what i can't do with that set-up is the 'timer-record' function on the freeview box ('timer-record' on the sony controls when the panny starts & stops recording, & therefore no need to manually enter times on the panny). to do this i would have to connect the sony freeview vcr out scart (non RGB) <----> panny av2 scart in (RGB)

i weighed up what i would prefer - to have rgb all the way or less buttons to press when recording programmes & decided it has to be RGB all the way :thumbsup:

hope all that is of help

stuart

13. Stuart P

Stuart P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    by the way - where did you order from?

14. cameron365

cameron365
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ordered it from RGB for £320. hopefully get it in a few days time. thanks for the setting up tips.

i have got a panny sky digibox. got a question on recording from sky and on different channels at diff times.

assume the 50 is not able to control the box or vice versa. so to record from sky, i would have to programme sky personnal planner using autoview and then programme the 50 to record at specific times? is there another way?

15. sinclair

sinclair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. cameron365

cameron365
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stuart,

Connected the 50 to the manual recommendations and your comments but does this mean that if you are recording say bbc1 on the 50 (not thru av2), it is not possible to view sky? Am i missing something?

assume the way round it would be to connect the tv scart from the digi box to the tv using up another scart socket of the tv. i have only 2 scarts for the tv and both are in use at the moment (dvd recorder and dvd player).

i have got a panny tv aswell, do you think the q-link is useful?

17. thelostone

thelostone
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a panasonic e85 and when i record through the epg on my sky box that has to do a self check as well but not if i use the pannys own timer strange that, do all pannys hdd do that? i did not no that it does not tape in rgb when you use the ext function does the sky channels have p.d.c so i can use that?

18. fredco

fredco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about using one of these to control the DVD recorder, works great for me with vcr.
    Any Autoview selection on the SKY EPG will automatically be recorded. For £20 - £25 it's got to be a good choice.
    regards
    fred