1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 330 v Pioneer 360

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by specinv, Jul 12, 2003.

1. specinv

specinv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a new player and have been looking at the Tosh 330 and the Pioneer 360.

What do people out there in the av forum think of these players

I currently have a tosh 210 and its a nice player but I fancy a change

any views or opinions are gratfully accepted

thanx for any help given

2. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the Toshiba 330 seems to be the budget player of the moment getting loads of good reviews but I myslef went for the Pioneer 360!

The picture and features are great. IMO it has an as good if not better picture then the Toshiba, well that's how appeard to me anyway, don't know what they say in magazines and when they do the technical readouts.

If you want to see a review of it then you can get What Video Widescreen Entertainment, August 2003.

There is a review of the Pioneer DV-464 in here. This machine is exactly the same as the Pioneer 360 apart from apperance. They both cost RRP£120 althoguht you can get the 360 much cheaper on Amazon.

I e-mailed Pioner twice about these two machines and they confirmed both times that these machines are the same and give the same perfomance, only difference is cosmetic.

The magazine gave it 5 out 5 and gave it a BEST BUY award.

I think that generally the Toshiba is getting 5 out of 5 for picture and the Pioneer sometime 4 and sometime 5. However if you compare the technical readouts they do (which often differ from mag to mag slightly) the difference isn't much at all and don't know if the naked eye would notice it. Again it seemed to me that when comparing them side to side the Pioneer appeared superior to me. It think they were on the same TV but then I don't know how the TV's were set up or what cables were being used etc.

So when it comes to picture it seems general opinion is that the Toshiba player maybe slightly better even if my one breif personal viewing says otherwise. Also I don't know if the component outputs on the Toshiba give it slightly higher in reviews and I'm not sure how reviewers test thier equipment. Component is the best output you can get, the Pioneer player doesn't have component outputs, but then most TV's don't, only the much more expnesive do so if you havn't got component inputs on you TV and don't plan on getting an expensive new one anytime soon there component is not important.

Overall, unless you have component inputs on your television I don't think picture quality between the two will be much different.

By the way in the magazine Essential Home Cinema issue 23 they don't a good as normal review of toshiba. It gave the Toshiba 330 4 out of 5 overall and gave it a 3 for picture and sound. They said the picture was crisp but lacked detail in backgrounds and had problems with shadows or something, they said a few more things but I was only skim reading it. I thougth that maybe they rated the real expensive models and budget models under same standard which is why it got less but turn the page and they review the Pacific £50 player from Asda and gave that 4 out of 5 for picture. They also ave the cheap Asda Schneider player 3 out of 5 for picture.

Must say this seems to go against some of the other reviews I've seen and people comments on it but just thougth I'd point out where I saw it!

Generally however the Toshiba has been getting Excellent review.

The Pioneer also does Pal 60 which the Toshiba doesn't, don't know if that's important to you? it was for me, althougth my televison is new the NTSc picture colour goes really bright nad the geometry at the top of the screen is awfull, it bends really bad.

I would reccomend either player to you, I personally went against the majority and got the Pioneer. NO complaints so far.

3. specinv

specinv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx for that I decided to go for the Pioneer and got one today from Richer Sounds in Gulidford for £89.99

Yes thats right and it was the multi region silver version of the machine and I agrre with you the picture is superb better than my Tosh 210

The player has played everything that I've put in it

I would definetly recommend this player to anyone

4. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad your happy with it so far! I know I am!

5. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm just intrested to know that now you have the Pioneer 360 did you get the 'lets get started' screen when you first started the player? Seeing as it is modified probably not but as it has probably already been turned on, I didn't get the screen.

Also In the manual it tells you how to return the machine to default settings (I think its turn of the player and hold stop and then turn it on using the buttons on the player itself, it says in the manual anyway) and if you do this it says you should then get the 'lets get started screen' again (see in the manual for what the 'let's get started screen' is, basically it says hello and welcom etc).

I've treid this and can return my player to the default settings but still don't get the let's get started screen. Not that it's a problem and I have been told it's down to making it multi region but I would be very intrested to hear what yours does and if you ever get this screen.

Also when I turn my player on it goes into NTSC very quickly then back to Pal just before the Pioneer logo apperas. I don't know if you can tell on your TV if yours does this but I would be also very intrested to hear! (by the way it doens't say NTSC on the LCD when it does this)

Thanks for all the help.

6. specinv

specinv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i first switched it on i just got the pioneer logo. I accessed the setup menu myself and setup the player the way i wanted it.

When i switch on now i get the welcome on the lcd display and the pioneer logo on the screen. My television, phillips 6006, appears to switch into ntsc and then back to pal again.

Hope this is of help to you if you want anymore info let me know

7. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, same TV as me too, althougth I have the smaller 24 ich version don't know what size television you have.

Yeah, thats exactly the same as mine. If you look in the manual it says that you should get the 'Lets get started' screen but seeing as this is only suppose to happen on first use. SO when modified this probably already appead so by the time we get the player we don't get the screen.

The only other thing I would be interested in would be if you get the 'Let's get started screen' when you set the player back to default. If you look in the manual it tells you how to do this and it says all settings will go back to the default and you should get the 'let's get started screen'

As said before I did this and my settings went back to default but still didn't get the screen.

If you ever do this then I would be intrested to hear if you get the screen.

Thanks for the reply and info!

8. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bump fo specinv

9. specinv

specinv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry m8 been away for a few days i'll let you know how i get on

10. specinv

specinv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok just tried it and i did not get the let's get started screen but the player did reset to the factory defaults.

had to go back into the menu and setup the player again the way i wanted it

11. one_jedi

one_jedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, cheers for that. Spoke to someone on the DVD forum and said something about it just being an effect of making them multi region. Was just checking I didn't get one where someone had been lazy making it multi region and mine was the only one like it!

Thanks again!