1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32ZP48 Advice please

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by davee b, Dec 27, 2004.

1. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi all after much deliberation and countless changing of mind i've taken the plunge and gone for the above based on weeks of research on this site. Now that i've ordered it (£749-88 empire direct) i'm thinking of problems so if anyone has one and can provide the answer i'd be grateful.

will the telly fit on any flat tv stand or does it have to use its own dedicated stand.

also a general question about the component input, will ordinary rca connectors work not at all/badly/passably/well or do you need proper component connectors.

thankee :clown:

2. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I have just been looking for the same model, found it a tenner cheeper but with 39.99 delivery (and a free Tosh 340 DVD player - also very good). I was looking as one of our local high street stores is closeing and has the older version 32ZP38 with black suround avliable and I though I would see if they would do a deal. However, they have it up at over a grand still and the cheapest I have found online is £719. Not sure what the differences are though.

Chris

3. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Well its designed to fit on its own stand. I can't see how it would fit on any other stand especially as it is designed to be fixed to the stand for health and safety issues. I suppose it would sit on a flatshelf unit but it would have to be capable of supporting quite a weight. Why do you not want to use the stand its supplied with ? RCA connectors ? I just used what was in the bottom of my toolbox ! (30 yr old hifi leads) and the pictures are fine - not sure I would recommend that to anyone else though - leads will not be expensive to buy. Regards, yt.

4. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Why wouldnt i want to use the supplied stand ????

Simple reason 2 kids. Current tv cabinet is lockable. Looks like i'll have to have a quiet word with 'em (ones a 2 year old !). Thanks for advice :thumbsup:

5. allengn

allengn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mine sits on a TV Stand from Multiyork (wife didn't like all the glass and chrome). No problems, other than any piece of furniture used must be substantial in order to take the weight.

6. MixerMan1

MixerMan1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the RCA leads - normal audio ones will work, however I would recommend a better set than just the ordinary audio leads (you may get interference, picture quality may suffer etc) - Curry's do a set for £10.

The TV will sit on a flat surface, just make sure that it will take the weight - this TV is heavy.

7. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the info everyone, very much appreciated. just one other thing, i've downloaded the manual and noticed that it says to put any set top box (i have ntl digital cable) into standby during auto tune. This seems a bit odd as every other tv i've had recommends setting to a strong channel such as sky news. Will auto tune recognise the rf of the box even in standby ?? it'll mainly be used via scart obviously but i'd still like the rf option. :)

8. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you have NTL digital you dont really want to be watching through RF on this TV.
    It wont pick up the RF signal if the box is off.

Watch it through scart and use a quality cable throughout the setup.

9. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I don't think he has Digital. The reason I gave the advice I did was to enable him to tune into the analogue UHF channels (1-5 plus a few more) that NTL also pipe down the cable line. These analogue channels are invariably of a much higher quality than the same analogue channels received via an aerial.

The old style NTL digibox actually blocked these RF signals so you had to split the signal in two before the box and feed directly to the TV/video and the digibox separately. If so desired you could then feed the RF signal out of the Digibox also into the TV/Video to give you the digital output via a UHF channel – and yes THIS signal would be lost if you switched of the NTL box.

The new Pace NTL boxes allow the analogue signal to pass through, after a load of people complained that they could no longer tune in the video/TV into individual channels. These signals are NOT blocked when you put the NTL off.

Your right in that it is still better to watch the digital channels through the SCART lead, and even better to set the box up to output RGB. However, the very old analogue set top boxes did not have even a SCART output, only RF, which is what he has.

There maybe other issue here as not all NTL areas carry the analogue channels – only the old areas or cable and wireless areas. The easy way to test is to shove the output from the wall into the RF in of the TV and tune. I know this is an F-type connection but as long as the centre cable is touching and held in manually, you should receive something. Or you can get an F-type to Rf converter from Maplins for about a quid.

10. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to clarify, i will be 99% using an rgb scart feed for the ntl digital signal. i have the cable rf input and aerial terrestrial combined into one input. i'm an awkward s*d so for no great reason i want the tv to be tuned to all the rf channels as well i.e. cable rf is usually tuned as channel 6. :smoke:

11. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17

Sorry, getting myself a bit cross thread muddled, there is another guy who has an analogue NTL box. Still the bit about splitting the NTL cable feed can be relevant (i.e. better reception on analogue channels than through an arieal). This is exactly the set up we have - but with no arieal and so get cracking analogue channels 1-5 plus E4, S4C and News 24, all seperatly tuneable via the video and TV.

12. davee b

davee b

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cheers for the info :thumbsup:

13. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Your roof aerial will go into the NTL box and then the RF out from the NTL box to your tv.
    You have made it sound as though you are using an adaptor to plug 2 rf leads into the one rf socket on the tv.

It's not very hard at all to stick bbc1,bbc2,itv,ch4,ch5 as 1,2,3,4,5 and then NTL on 6.

We are Telewest down here so apologies if im mistaken.

14. swin70

swin70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    In regard to what I have said and what NTL provide, you maybe mistaken. I don't think Telewest provide the analogue signal for the ordianary channels directly from the cable - in this case you DO need an areial to tune these channels. However, in certian NTL areas, the normal analogue channels (plus a few others) are piped directly down the cable along with all the digital signals and encrypted analogue signals. This means you DO NOT need and areial and will recieve better than areial analogue pictures.

Your still doing exactly the same thing but getting better pictures from a better signal thats all.