1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32ZP38 and motion problems

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by ronster, Dec 12, 2003.

1. ronster

ronster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Recently took delivery of a Toshiba 32ZP38 to replace my old Panasonic TX-29AD2DP, and I'm having real trouble watching the new set from any of my available sources. Basically, the problem I have is that within about 5 minutes viewing, I get a pressure headache and some vision disturbances. I never got this with the old set, and have since hooked up the old Panny for a comparison. There is also (and I suspect this may be the cause of the problem) a noticable lag in any movement on screen e.g. when a figure walks across the screen, or when the camera pans across the field of view.

My first instinct was to try out every available setting on the Tosh's picture menu: I've changed the brightness, contrast, scanning mode, DNR, have saved settings from preset 3 in an attempt to switch off SVM, and have played with the sharpness level. Whilst these changes have clearly affected the PQ, no combination seems to improves the level of lag, and certainly nothing seems to relieve the headaches!

Rang Toshiba, who suggested the obvious setting tweaks: interestingly, they claimed that there should be a clear difference between the 'Natural' and 'Active' settings, implying that the former was 50Hz and the latter 100Hz. However, there is absolutely no difference between the two modes on the set I have; because of this, Toshiba are swapping out my set with another, since they think there might be a fault on the one I have now.

We'll see whether the new set improves matters, but I wondered whether anyone out there has had (or heard of) a similar problem, particularly with Tosh PF2 sets. Is this just a 100Hz problem? This may well just be a problem with my eyes: if so, does anyone know whether any particular model is better than the others for weirdos like me? :suicide:

P.S. My sources are: NTL Pace Set-top box via RGB SCART into RGB AV input on the Tosh, and a Pioneer DVD player - problem is evident on both sources.

2. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 36ZP38 thankfully does not give me the headaches you mention. Is the TV at a different height to the one you replaced, leading to a different posture/neck position while watching?

Interesting to hear Toshiba's comments about the picture modes. I notice negligible differences in Active, Natural or 100hz modes. The only mode which is significantly different is the 50hz Progress mode

3. ronster

ronster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Short of actually measuring the angle of my head with a protractor when looking at them side-by-side, I'd estimate that there isn't much difference since they're both quite far away - the distance from the screen is something else I tried. Thanks for the suggestion though.

For me, Natural and Active are identical. 100Hz looks quite flickery (especially on the set's menus), and Progress looks very flickery. Toshiba tech support, however claim that there sound be a pronounced difference between Natural and Active: according to them, the former is actually a 50Hz mode. Do you think I just got someone on the phone who didn't know what they they were talking about?

4. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Natural and Active look exactly the same here also. I don't notice any change in the picture at all when I switch. It could be that the 'Active' mode only kicks in under certain conditions (fast motion or something), but I've yet to see it.

5. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cadire

According to the link below - try linking to pdf-brochure - it's the opposite way round: In "Natural Mode" "Active Vision" (the name of the image technology in whole like "Pixel Plus" and "Acuity") automatically switches off the "360¢ª motion estimation" - always used in "Active Mode" - momentarily, when "the movement is very fast" and "Motion estimation is not required". Perhaps a better and more honest expression instead of "not required" would be: Can't be coped with! The conclusion seems to be that when looking at fast action movies in Natural Mode, Motion Estimation is switched on and off, on and off, on and off to prevent motion artifacts like jerkiness and jitter. But perhaps the remedy is more disturbing than than these artifacts?

http://www.home-entertainment.toshiba.co.uk/consumer/home.nsf

6. TVhomejs

TVhomejs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Interesting read.

Of course now I have to try this out! The start of 'Saving Private Ryan', where they finally get up against the bunker wall is a bit jittery... I'll give that a whirl later and see what happens.

8. Dog-rat

Dog-rat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone decided which settings are the best ? including setting up the contrast and brightness etc ?
    I have posted a question above about this tosh, (Sorry to post twice)
    Regards

9. Dog-rat

Dog-rat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SORRY:eek: Got My Model numbers mixed up its a 32ZD26 I was on about, :confused:

10. ronster

ronster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    How to set brightness and contrast, from the Jan 04 What Hi-Fi issues:

"
    1. Position your set away from lights or move standing lamps and other lights sources to avoid/minimise intrusive light reflection that can detract from the picture.
    2. Dim the lights in your viewing room, or even better, turn them off altogether.
    3. Reduce the brightness on your TV to roughly 35 percent.
    4. Set contrast to about 65 percent to leave whites bright but not flaring, and give consistent blacks.
    "

Not sure how this can work for any TV model, but it might be worth giving it a go!