1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32zp18p HoF price match...woohoo!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by CouchPotato, Jan 25, 2002.

1. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I've been following this forum for a while now and i thank you all for making it such a valuable source of information.

I have just purchased a 32zp18p, and i got it priced matched by House of Fraser.

(from what i have seen the tosh set has better picture quality than the panny pb50, sony fq75 and phillips sets.)

The service at HoF was fantastic, however, they _will not_ price match internet sites anymore. (i rang the leeds and london branches). You have to find a shop retailer within a certain radius of the store to match.

I found a retailer in london whos internet prices are the same as in thier high street shop. HoF matched the other shops price like for like (ie one yr warrenty free delivery) and i made a very nice saving on the HoF book price.

HoF do not have the tv in stock, so unlike an internet retailer they only took a 10% deposit from me today, the rest payable when i recieve the set. -nice

They have a 30day return policy, in which time you can return the set for any reason....great :)

I would recomend this approach (using a good high street retailer) to anyone buying a new set, the piece of mind is worth the extra effort.

Oh, i was told at 2 shops this week that panasonic has had a fire at one of its warehouses, thus some sets are hard to get at the moment..... is it true..i dont know...

:)

CouchPotato

ps. i do not work for HoF ..hehehehe

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Yes it is

3. rogerw

rogerw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I got my Panasonic from House Of Fraser, they told me it would take about a month to come in lo and behold two weeks later i got my set, blinding service. Had the set two weeks now.
    Cheers

4. Dunkwho

Dunkwho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Wanna let us know how much they price matched to and which store you used to price match against ??

Ta

Dunkwho

5. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi

After 4 weeks of waiting ive been told today that my 32zp18 will be delivered tomorrow morning.....at last!

HoF at Oxford St, London, price matched HiSpek of Essex (HiSpek.com) for me.

The total price was £1251 this included;

Free delivery
    Free Installation (no cabinet building for me!)
    Free 5 Years warranty (agreed by HoF today, - a sweetener for the delay)

all in all, if it arrives tomorrow i shall be very happy with the deal i have got.

...just one more day to wait.....

6. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Should have done that myself. Took me 2 hours to build the damn thing and then I nearly put my back out lifting the set onto the stand (36").

7. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +864
    This brings up an interesting question, and maybe one already talked about before?. I have noticed quite a few posts about people receiving tv's which they assumed would be brand new, but found badly wound cables, finger prints etc. - is this where these sets come from?

I think on one hand it is "great" that they offer a 30 day money back offer, but maybe not so great for the person who ends up with a 'trialed' tv from someones house.

just a thought

Dean

8. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    The practice of big electrical retailers passing off used goods as new is more coomon than you think.

After all. If the goods are returned without a fault, the retailer is stuck with it and the maker will not accept it back for a refund so in the case of a £1500 TV, they are going to be well out of pockect.

It isn't difficult to repack an electrical appliance to appear brand new and to be fair, in most cases you would never know.

Indeed I have seen shops that have supplies of Toshiba and Sony branded tape (the same stuff used to seal the box in the factory) so that they can reseal the box and it looks like it is the origional factory seal.

Some retailers seem to have come up with a good solution for this though.

Look at Comet and you will see that they have an online auction site. This is great for them to shift goods that have been out of the shop but are fully working.

But the term buyer beware always applies.

When I got my 36ZP, the people who delivered it were very keen to open the box for me. I checked the seal very carefully before hand to ensure that it was brand new.

The best givaway though is the cable ties in and leads. It is very easy to see if these have been rewound by hand.

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    But remember to open the box and inspect the tv before the delivery people leave if you are setting it up yourself. My first set and a number of other peoples were damaged due to poor packaging and handling. Ask yourself the question, "How would I be able to prove I have not damaged this during installation?"

Well worth paying for installation or negotiating it as part of the deal. Installation was thrown in for free on my set and It was no problem when the first set was lifted from the box and found to be smashed in transit. Remember also that it takes a minimum of 2 strong people to lift a 36" set onto its stand!