1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32zp18 Solid Colour Rendering?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by CouchPotato, Feb 25, 2002.

1. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

My set is the (B) model, and I am very pleased with it, great sharp image very clear, crisp and non flickering.

I have noticed that the sets black reproduction is not as deep/dark as the panny set i had (tho this is not a problem) However, the middle of the screen (the mid 5inches +) is darker than the outer regions.

This non-uniform shading is only noticeable on solid colours. E.g- the orange background sky use on sky-one previews is not a solid orange it is darker in the center. Startrek/Starwars - the darker center can be seen in many of the space scenes.

My question to those that have had the set for a few months;

Does your set suffer from the same noticeable darker center?
    Does the darker center become less obvious once the set has been worn in?

These are my settings

Contrast 55
    Brightness 49
    Colour 44
    Sharpness 0
    DNR = auto
    Picture Mode 3
    Scanning = 100hz
    Using only Sky thru Scart one. (rgb)

Thank you all in advance

2. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There are a couple of "long" toshiba threads in the last few weeks which discuss this issue. Take a look at those rather than create a new one.

3. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doubledoom,

I have been following the zp18 threads since last yr.

I admit my first question is redunant - many ppl have noticed the set is darker towards the center. - my apologies

However i still cant find if there is a fix for the lighter sides or if the problem lessons with time;

d4v34 11-01-2002 11:44 PM
    I do have the grey bars on the screen but I think I can live with this.

dts borg 12/01/2001
    It's a shame the brighter sides cannot be fixed as I still think this is the better TV out of the other 36" CRT TV's.

Desticado 21/01/2001
    Dirty Vertical bars dissappear on most sets after usage it seems.
    I didnt notice mine at first but when I did they were awful, but now I struggle to see them. ( - this is not the same probelm as my own)
    Desticado 21/01/2001
    The only annoyance I have are the contrast bars at the sides, because these should easily be fixable by a software update.

So please ZP18 owners is there a fix and/or does the lighter sides problem fade with time?

Thanx again

4. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The only bit of advice I can give is set your sharpness to about
    minus 40.
    It does make a difference.

Paul

5. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, wasn't sure you had spotted those king size threads.

I haven't seen a fix posted anywhere yet i'm afraid. I don't expect there to be one unless they decide to replace the glass front by some means.

6. CouchPotato

CouchPotato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem is no more :D

After reading that Doubledoom and other 32zp owners didn’t seem to notice (to the same extent at least) my problem , i decided to tweak my settings a little more.

I now use the following;

Contrast 53
    Brightness 43
    Colour 43
    Sharpness -30
    DNR = auto
    Picture Mode 3
    Scanning = 100hz
    Using only Sky thru Scart one. (rgb)

Using these settings the picture is great (tho i may play with the sharpness setting again), Blacks are alot darker, whilst lighter images still retain their crisp bright colouring.... But, best of all the lighter sides of the tube are not noticeable (unless you really try, and you do have to strain)

I was watching the tv in bed last night with no room lighting and i was completely overjoyed by the quality of image that my new set produces. (in fact, i stayed up too late - just channel surfing to see the images on the screen ;) )

Consider me another very happy owner of a Toshiba 32ZP18

(a _BIG_ thanks to all those who have posted topics relating to the ZP18 here at avforums.com....thanx to you all im going to watch my set now, and not read or write about it anymore...wooohoo!)