1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32zh46 or JVC 32x4

Discussion in 'TVs' started by zollies, Dec 13, 2004.

1. zollies

zollies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Peeps

I am trying to decide on a new 32" tv. I thought I'd take the plunge and go 100Hz but still not 100% convinced (opinions please).

I am considering the following but cannot find much info so PLEASE HELP !!

Toshiba 32ZH46 (a.k.a. 32Z46, 32ZH46S)
    JVC 32X4 (a.k.a. 32X4S)

Both (Tosh esp.) are quite narrow which is important so I ruled out Panasonics and Philips (current 28").

I have also seen a 32Z47B in Comet and I think this is a higher (??) spec than the ZH46 but seems cheaper in Comet than online ... surely I MUST be wrong there !! Comet say it's a 50Hz but I think it's 100Hz as 46 but also Dolby SS too.

Picture quality rather than sound is the MOST important as I have quality surround sound system.

Your help would be appreciated.

zollies

2. Boozyuzi

Boozyuzi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    The 32z47 is the 50Hz model. It's just a 32z44 with slightly better audio.

3. zollies

zollies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks and yes I just found that out from a knowledgable chappie in Comet.

Gosh, I wish these manufacturers would have sensible model numbers and/or info on their websites !!! :mad:

Anyway , I would still welcome anyones opinions re. the TV's mentioned.

Thanks.

4. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    I'd go for the X4 - good budget TV.

The cheaper Toshiba's tend to be very tacky - i think the run you are looking at is the cheapo turkish model they sell.

5. zollies

zollies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    C'mon peeps PLEASE :)

Any more opinions , preferably people with experience of the sets.

What about the 50Hz / 100Hz argument , given that I'm looking at the cheaper end of the market ... is it worth it ?

Not long until Xmas now and I would like to order in the next couple of days.

Thanks

zollies

6. oxygenuk

oxygenuk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  7. asdff

asdff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, the 32X4 has Natural scan, which means u can always switch between 50hz and 100hz.

8. zollies

zollies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now that is the weirdest thing ...

I just bought the JVC because of the lack of those controls on the Tosh (no ability to change or switch off 100Hz precessing)

Great minds and all that I guess :)

Also I notice that there IS another thread covering the 32ZH46 and 32Z44 (HERE )but the odd thing is that when I typed ZH46 in the search here it does NOT bring that thread up, even though its in the subject line !!??

Now type Z44 in search and it brings up BOTH threads ... weird (and inconsistent) man !!

Thanks to all that offered help anyway and I'll post my thoughts on my new set here.

zollies

9. zollies

zollies

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right , here goes ...

Overall we are very impressed with set , build quality etc.

Still trying to figure out the visual controls:

a) Digital DNR - This is to remove noise from poor quality pictures. The Auto setting works quite well but strangely some poor broadcast pictures seem to work better with this switched off

b) DigiPure Pro - This is the 100Hz technology and "sharpens" pictures. Again on broadcast pictures this sometimes is better off than on Auto. On DVD playback this definitely improves quality and sharpness.

c) Movie Theatre - supposedly makes motion in movies smoother but I can't see the difference :)

The slightly annoying thing about all this is that you have to mess about with all this via the menu. It would have been nice to have some custom settings that you can save and just press a single button - like Personal setting on most Philips TVs.

The tilt can be adjusted (I needed to) for that pesky earths magnetic field thingy. Also it has a nice 4:3 auto aspect mode i.e. if the broadcast is in 4:3 then it switches to the aspect you have preset (Panoramic,4:3, 14:9 Zoom). Otherwise you can change aspect manually via remote to suit.

The sound from the set is really quite impressive and has a number of variations to suit most tastes but I have a full blown cinema system so I wont use the TV sound much.

There is a clever option to "route" output from one of the TV inputs (Ext1-Scart, Ext3-Scart and Ext4-Phonos/SVHS ) to Ext2-Scart to allow direct dubbing. However, DON'T make the mistake I did and turn the TV off :laugh: ... cos it only works when the unit is switched on!!

Another slight niggle is that it doesn't have "wraparound" channel selection i.e. the ability to disable channels so that it goes :
    1...2...3...4...5...6...AV1...AV2...1...2... etc.
    Pain when there's 99 channels and 4 AV sockets and you're only using 5/2.

Teletext is very impressive :
    a) TV pic and teletext side by side
    b) Massive page memory so no more waiting for the subpages to turn by themselves.

It also has TV Link for tuning (synchronising) your VCR channels with the TV although I didn't use this.

Hope this helps people.

All the best and Happy New Year

Zollies

10. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have looked through the manual for the JVC but cant find how to switch/turn off 100hz processing (natural scan?). Can this be done? My Dad is thinking of buying JVC 32X4. He watches a lot of football (SKY+) but has read the problems with 100hz and fast moving images. Whats football like on JVC? Any 100hz nasties?