1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32zd26p, ok for centre on top?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Spoonman2, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Just got this tv today, was wondering if i`m ok putting a centre speaker ontop of it, as the stand doesn`t really have enough room to fit it in properly.
    Am i being stupid concening the magnetic field?
    Or would this be possible?

Cheers guys,
    Spoony.

2. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Most " Centre Speakers " are designed for your purpose and magnetic shielding is inherent.
    If you aren't sure, post the make and model, someone will confirm.

3. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Cheers, the centre is a Mordant Short MS905.

Is a reasonble size, but would sit ontop just fine.
    Any ideas appreciated.

Spoony.

4. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Toshiba 32ZD26

Spoony,

Glad you are pleased with your new toy, and thanks for letting us know about the good deal you got.

I am interested in this TV & I was wondering if you could tell me the overall height of the TV & Stand, most websites only give TV dimensions even though it comes with the stand. Also, how much kit have you got to fit into the stand. I may have to do some "DIY" on the bookshelf that surrounds my TV area to fit the centre speaker.

Cheers,

Sparrow.

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Definitely shielded.

6. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    sparrow-07 --

Just finished building mine -- the height (including the stand) is approx. 104cm

-- Barry

7. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have my centre speaker on top of my 36ZD26P and while not ideal, the front 'frame' part of the TV can just about accomodate the speaker with blu-tac and is more robust that the back part of the TV, which is more like most other TVs and not a great support at all.

8. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Thanks for the help Gring` i thought it would be shielded, but dont want to affect the tube atall, as i hear its bad with magnetic sources.I`ll put the centre ontop, just behind the front surround, and mount it on something so its parallel. :)

Spoony.

9. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At this stage it's worth considering/experimenting with raising the back of the speaker slightly, so as to angle it down a touch towards your listening area. I did this (the back is raised by about 1.5cm) and it does sound better to my ears.

Worth trying anyway.

10. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Sounds Kool,and the gang to me, i`ll give it a go later, and let you know. :)

Thanks for your help m8,

Spoony.

11. Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

have read so much about this TV my head is swimming,

I got mine 28th December, and have never been happy with the picture/performance, very blurry to my eyes.

I moved the TV from Hull to my house in Guildford and I have to say I am now very dissapointed!

The set buzzes loudly, and this comes through my surround speakers, the picture is rubbish, very blurrey and the contrast/edge definition is poor - feel like I need glasses! and the geometry at the side of the screen is out,

had to take it to a Tosh approved service tech,

can someone tell me if there is light at the end of the tunnel! is this a good TV! are you guys getting the stunning results this set promises!

my 14" sony portable is far better at the moment - looks funny with my centre speaker on top! :)

l8r

Steve.

12. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Steve --

A number of potential problems have been identified with the xxZD26P series, a summary of which is given in this thread here (3rd post) :

xxZD26P Issues

The general consensus is that if you get a good set, there's not much out there to beat it. I took delivery of mine this morning and, generally, I'm delighted with it. It sounds like yours should be replaced.

You may wish to check out this thread aswell (concerning setup)

Toshiba xxZD26P - Complete summary

Good luck.

-- Barry

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah I have spent hours stetting this set up, and browsing the forum!

I hope it is faulty!

I'll let you lot know the result!

Cheers,

Steve

14. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for that. It will just about fit in the space I have for it.

Just a couple more questions.

1) What kit have you put inside the stand.
    2) Is the stand on castors.

Cheers,

Sparrow.

15. Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello mate,

just to let you know,

the stand for the tosh is not on castors, but slides nicely on carpet,

Want mine back and fixed! 14" just doesn't cut it!

l8r

16. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    1) The back of the cabinet is curved so it's not as big as it appears. I managed to get everything in (Panasonic Sky Box, Tosh 520 DVD, VCR, Gamecube, PS2) ; all except the amp (a Yamaha RX-V596RDS) which is too deep to fit in and close the front panel. The depth of the amp, from the knobs at the front to the plugs at the back, is 39cm -- approx 2 cm too long, disappointingly.

As side note, the middle shelf can be removed to give a larger cabinet volume -- although this slightly spoils the aesthetics of the panels when opening them, if you see my point.

2) As Sasquatch said, the stand is not on rollers but slides fairly easily on a wooden floor, even when fully laden.

-- Barry.

17. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Cheers for the advice, have put the speaker ontop of the tv behind the front facia, angled about 1cm downwards towards listening position, nice one, sounds fine now.
    Also the MS 905 has aluminium domes, and a silver front to it, so when the facia`s removed it matches the tele` quite nicely. :)

Spoony.

P.S. Is it me, or is the black stretch feature a load of old cobblers or what?

18. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It could indeed make several pairs of fine quality boots in a day :)

19. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    :p One question i do have: I get a bit of flaring sometimes, as in light objects moving around fast on a dark background leaving a comet like effect. Is this to be expected as it is a CRT tv??

Many thanks,
    Spoony.

20. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In some instances, such as a very bright, light coloured or white object moving quickly across or around a dark background, you will nearly always see some degree of flare. This can be minimised though, depending on your picture settings.

I've spent hours tuning my picture and have found that against Avia, Video Essentials and the AOTC THX Optimode video tests, the optimum brightness and contrast settings are:

BRTC - 81H

(this is the TVs main brightness level control setting and is found only in the service menu)

Contrast - 55
    Brightness - 53

(both of these are in the set's regular user menu controls)

It may be worth checking these against yours to see if something is set too high possibly. Also note that all TVs will be slightly different and that I'm referring to the 36" version. Hope this helps anyway.

21. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How about if the centre speaker was to be put into the cabinet underneath the tv? I am going to build a rack for the rest of my equipment so was thinking about taking the middle shelf out and putting my B&W CC6 in there. Close the doors when not using it, and opening them when it is used. Would the fact that the speaker is in an enclosure affect the sound? I've got the tv in a bay window so not really too keen on putting the speaker on top such that I won't be able to see out the window at all! :(

22. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    It may spoil the look, but i thought about putting the centre on the top shelf, and removing the top door. But this wouldn`t work for me either as the centre is wasy too big to fit in there, so i put it on the top.
    It fitted in the bottom shelf but it didn`t sound too good, and i had to keep opening, and closing the friggin` door all the time.

Spoony.

23. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    I have mentioned about the flaring i get on my 32zd26p set, well watching a bit of blade 2 this evening, IT WAS TERRIBLE!(Green glow)
    I searched the archives and found a post from a guy which hasn`t been addressed. Is there something in the settings i can change to help this problem??

And i quote>>I've recently bought the 32ZD26, and I'm pretty pleased with it except for one apparent problem that doesn't seem to have been mentioned. On some DVDs (both NTSC and PAL) I occasionally notice that where a dark object is moving horizontally against a bright background, a green glow momentarily appears over the dark area, close to the boundary with the bright background. This is just a fleeting moment while the motion is occurring, but it's quite annoying. I've replayed particular examples two or three times over to convince myself that my eyes aren't playing tricks on me. The strange thing is that this seems to happen on some DVDs but not others. For example it's noticeable on the new Region 1 DVD of 'ET', but it isn't apparent on the Region 1 DVD of the Clint Eastwood movie 'Unforgiven'.

Can someone tell me whether this is a recognised fault on televisions, and whether there's a cure for it. Also why does it seem to happen on just some DVDs? Is is actually a problem in the DVD authoring rather than the TV?

Thanks in anticipation of any information on this.<END QUOTE>

Anyone got any idea what i should do in the settings, as it seems to be more than just one person having this problem.

Many thanks,
    Spoony.

24. Swinnydon

Swinnydon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've actually got mine on the bottom shelf at the moment and my sat box on the top shelf. My centre channel is cranked up compared with the front pair but it still sounds muffled! I'm actaully thinking of just having it in front of the tv between the front pair and on a low speaker stand. It might just look a bit obtrusive though! (but it's my house and I'm a live in landlord so if they don't like it... :D )

25. bibooo

bibooo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Spoonman2,

This problem has already been addressed in this thread (last post). It is also mentioned in the complete summary thread here as one of the recognised faults to look out for (3rd post, 6th problem).

If you have already calibrated the picture from Picture Mode 3 and are still not happy, I would take Juboy's advice and try some fine service menu adjustments to make the problem less obvious. You will never get rid of this totally, so as I have said in the problem summary, if you can't live with it then get it replaced, but you run the risk of inheriting many other more serious problems with the next one.

As this problem keeps being overlooked in my summary, I will create a separate link addressing "flaring".

26. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Juboy: I took notice of what you said, bit the bullet and looked in the service settings. The thing of most interest you mentioned was the BRTC setting, i looked at mine and it was 89H, does this seem high to you??
    Anyway, after altering this to 81H, and the contrast, and brightness as you suggested, the picture was MUCH better on Blade 2 dark scenes, i then went a step further to 80H, and the results are the picture is pin perfect now, it did seem to be out of focus before now. Its just stunning now, and the best i have seen it.
    I DO still get flaring, but it is minimal ,and the "flare" now dissapears very quickly, as before it took over a second or so to dissapear.
    SO many, many thanks to you, and Bibooo for his advice, and thoughts too.
    Im sure other people will find these posts very helpful.

Big thumbs up for you two guys. Im glad im a member of such a professional forum. :clown:

Regards,
    Spoony.
    P.S. I also dont have to take a half day off of work to get the service engineer out, as already planned, i`ll cancel it.:)

27. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just went in to check what my set would look like at BRTC level 89H and it looked terrible, totally unwatchable.

Glad the suggestions helped and that you're now seeing this TV in it's best light, no pun intended :)

28. sparrow-07

sparrow-07

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks for the advice, most useful.

29. Spoonman2

Spoonman2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    Juboy, the flaring is much better, but still noticable, spesh` on dark films. The thing i`ve noticed most is that the ghosting ( flaring) is ALWAYS green. Near the start of blade 2 there are very blue scenes, this part of the film has no flaring whatsoever.
    You think i need to look at the gun settings( mainly green ) in the service menu?
    I noticed there is red, green, and blue in there.
    Any chance of you telling me what your settings are m8??? :)
    Hope you dont mind me asking.hehe

Spoony.

30. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem, if you're BRTC was that far out, maybe the others are too?

Anyway, aside from the geometry service menu options, here are the ones that might be affecting the colour etc.

(all my current, tweaked settings)

SRY - 07H
    SBY - 04H
    COLS - 04H
    COLP - 09H
    SCNT - 07H
    BRTC - 81H
    BDRV - 15H
    GDRV - 26H
    BCUT - 8CH
    GCUT - 9EH
    RCUT - 40H

Be interested to hear how these compare with yours Spoony.