1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32ZD26P NOISY !!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by davidhunter, Feb 19, 2003.

1. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi all new to this forum but joined as a lot of you seem to have this TV. I have just spent the last 2 hours reading through about 40 pages on this TV but didnt quite find the answer I wanted.

Its about noise from the back of the TV. I think a few people mentioned it but what did they do about it. I can sit around 3 metres away from the TV and can hear what I would describe as a hard drive kind of sound. I have already had it replaced once and its still there on the new one. Am I going mad ?? Does anyone else have this problem ???

I have tried disconnecting all other electronic equipment etc., makes no difference.

Thanks fo any comments

Davy

2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the noise there when you have justed turned th Tv on? Like a creaking noise??

Or is it a buzzing noise that can be heard all the time?? especially at low volumes?

If its the latter does it dissapere when the volume is turned to zero?

Paul

3. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    the noise is there all the time, even when the volume is at zero!
    it doesn't get any worse when the tv has been on for a while, it's there from the second you turn it on!

cheers
    davy

4. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My buzz comes and goes. If it is that bad get an engineer out or have it replaced again. Mine buzzed when I first had it but it now seems to have stopped.

5. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Yugo,
    How long did you have it before the buzzing stopped ? The company seem to be somewhat reluctant to go for changing it again, however I can get nasty with them I have a hidden card to play if need be.
    The noise probably is a transformer or the actual electron gun, I actually didnt hear it for a while last night, thought it had gone but once I turned the volume down slightly I could hear it again. Turned the volume back up and I could still hear it. Its strange how your ears once tuned into the noise it seems to get louder.
    Maybe you have just forgotten to listen for it.

If you go up to the back of the TV can you place your ear tight against the TV grills and hear nothing at all if the volume is down? or is there some noise ? If you then walk away from the TV can you still hear that same noise around 2 or 3 metres infront of the tele ?
    I havent even checked the audio outputs or anything yet for my AMP thats the next check.

Thanks again all :hiya:

6. fdpxfunix

fdpxfunix
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi davidhunter

My 36ZD26P has always buzzed, well for the last 4 weeks of ownership. It's not so bad that you can hear it over people talking, but on mute you can hear it clearly.

In the August 2002 edition of "What Video & TV" there was a review of the 32ZD26 which contained the paragraph ...

"Only after taking in all these goodies did the 32ZD26's greatest strength occur to us - its digital processing. We actually forgot that the set was buzzing with digital activity, beacuse it creates virtually no side effects".

Yours may have a problem, but I think it might be normal. Get an engineer to take a look if not.

J.

7. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had the 28" version and went through 3 before getting my money back.

Every single one buzzed, and it was worse if i used the 100Hz mdoes - the prog scan mode was far better, but even so it was clearly audible once you knew what to listen for - which meant i noticed it every time i turned the set on.

I don't see how this can be considered anything other than a design or manufacturing flaw. The only thing you should hear from you TV from a normal viewing position should be the sound from the speakers... I was sat two metres away and could always hear it expcet if a fairly loud sequence was going on

8. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    By the looks of all these replies it certainly sounds like Toshiba has a design flaw in their TV. I wonder when they said in What TV and Video it buzzing with digital processing did they mean literally !! At first I would have taken it to mean that its brimming full of digital wizardry now I am thinking they do mean BUZZING !!!
    Oh well I am waiting on a reply from the company I bought it off and will keep you all informed on how I get on.

Davy

9. Yugo1

Yugo1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate,

This tele and the Sony FX66 are the most talked about on this forum. I have noticed they all seem to buzz (some louder than others). I spoke to the engineer who came out to adjust mine and he said it was normal and no way round it (very nice bloke and really new his stuff). I would say if you can hear it over normal volume levels then get it changed again or get them to send out an engineer !

When I first had mine I noticed a few thing I was not happy with. The engineer fixed what was possible and explained the rest. I am very happy with the TV and wouldn't change it.

I have had the tele about 4-5 weeks and I haven't heard the buzz for 2 weeks ish. I think if you have the vol really low or on mute you would prob hear any 100 h tv.

Do what I did...buy a dimmer light switch....now that has a buzz that drives you up the wall.

Yugo1

PS - I sit about 2.5 metres away from TV.

10. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The buzzing is totally normal and is a feature of reducing costs to meet a target market price by using cheap power components. In this case input power supply transformer is the main culprit aided by the scan coil on the tube itself.

I got around the noise level by taking the back cover off and sticking on to the back panel over the grill slots sound deadning panels bought from a decent car accessory shop. It worked in reducing the buzz to negligble level as the panel absorded the bulk of the buzzing. Not an idea "fix" I know.

11. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I am sorry but I just do not accept that even with reducing production costs etc. that in this day and age that they still cannot made a quiet TV. The JVC this replaced was a 24" and its as quiet as a wisper and only cost a few hundred pounds.

The idea of sound deadening material sounds good in theory but I would have thought the grills you covered over where there for a reason ie. letting heat out.

Anyway still not heard form the company again so will need to phone them again. Will keep you all posted.

12. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Absolutely Davidhunter as I said not ideal and wouldn't recommend blocking all the grill slots, in my case just a section right at the bottom where the transfromer was located and the buzzing loudest.

In principle mate you're right and I agree, if a TV can be made and retail for a few hundred pounds and is silent, then one that isn't and costs >£1000 it must either be considered a normal acceptable feature of its design, along with the black bars, bendy lines, etc, or indeed too many compremises in quality are being made to reach a particular retail price point and hence all the complaints.

13. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    lol leeoh,
    I was sort of picturing this TV with loads of wadding sticking out of the grills. That would be an interesting one to try and explain if the TV went up in flames.

Anyway have been to the shop where I bought it, I can name them as I am not bad mouthing them 'Robertsons'. Very helpful and said that I can have a third set but that will be the last and after that I should choose another brand. I am not sure if I like that thought as I really like the TV and I have also spent another £70 on a component input lead from Supra (its a fantastic picture).

I was also given the option (sort of) of paying the difference and getting the 36". Question is what if I do this and get another buzzing TV or some of the other problems others have mentioned!!

At that sort of price I may also consider a read projection but I believe the picture quality is not great !!.

Are there any other TVs out there that have component input ?

And I also noticed that the visable area of the screen is more like 30" than 32" thats a bit sneeky isnt it. Are all 32 " screens the same ?

Davy

14. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I'd say that you're likely to find the same thing with the 36" version of the set. You've experienced it on the 32", I've experienced it on the 28" so i wouldn't be hopeful of the 36" being any different in this regard.

Personally I'd ask for my money back if i were you- i did and i also got mine from Robertsons

15. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers for that I may well do but cannot find another TV that gets as good a review and also has component input. Will keep looking.
    Not too many people have complained about humms from the 36 it seems on the smaller models mainly.

Davy

16. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    My 36ZD humms - engineer is coming out this week, however it appears from posts that he will not be able to fix it.

Damn good picture though

17. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Oh nooo thats the last thing I wanted to hear Common !!!.
    Anyway the question I have in return do you live in a very quiet street, like I do? Do you think its a transformer noise or the electron gun at the back of the tube ? When is the engineer coming out and can you please tell me what he says about it as it sounds like you have the same problem as I do. Can you also check that it is deffinately a Tosh engineer. The engineers I have had out are from Robertsons not Tosh so are not exactly experts on this TV.

Cheers once again

Davy

18. Gray

Gray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there all

I have a 32ZD26P bought just before Christmas and there is definently NO buzzing from the TV at all.

I listen to the TV through my amplifier, so the TV sound is always set to zero, and I would hear if it buzzed at all.

I have just this second turned the TV on and muted the sound and if I put my head right up against the vents at the back I can hear a very faint buzzing, but if I move more than a few inches away from it, I can hear nothing.

And by the way, before you all say I am a bit deaf, I am not.

It seems that you may have faulty TV's, and if you pay up to £1,000 for a TV you want it to be a good one, so don't be fobbed off with people saying that it is a "feature". If mine is ok there is no reason that yours buzzes enough to anoy you.

I hope you get them sorted out. Best of luck.

Gray.

19. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Well said Gray then again I paid a lot less than a grand but I dont want to rub it in how much I got it for although you will through it back in my face by saying 'that at least mine doesnt buzz' lol !!!!. Robertsons is still one of the cheapest for price incase DJG1 is interested and has read this. I believe PRC is probably the cheapest at present.

Davy

20. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    David,

The engineer is coming out on Monday

The buzz is coming from the back / left hand side of the TV - previous threads suggest this is 99% likely to be a noisy transformer. I wouldn't say the buzz is loud but once I've heard it that's all I can focus on, which generally spoils the tv/film I am watching

I will let you know how I get on

21. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cheers common !!

You say its from rear left is that when facing the TV ? and at the bottom ie around the circuit board area ? Mine seems to be louder on the right grill hard to tell but I think its the gun on mine as it seems louder higher up.

Davy

22. leeoh

leeoh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its a combination of both the input power transformer on the PCB on the right hand side when looking directly at the front of the TV i.e. staring at the tube. And also to a lesser extent the scan coils on the tube itself.

23. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Sorry David, I meant right hand side !

24. teddstarr

teddstarr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI all,
    Just got my new TOSH 32ZD26 and can thankfully report no noise from the set(other than the initiall power surge when first turned on)

I do seem to have a slight picture prob though! the picture seems to slope ever so slightly in the top right hand corner from the top left hand corner.Is there any adjustments i can make.This is only a TINY problem and i am delighted with the package(£850 delivered) and picture quality as a whole.

cheers
    teddstarr:D :D :rotfl: :clap:

25. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I believe you can change it in the service menu not having done it I am not too sure how to, but there is another thread that tells you all the settings etc.

Do you have any buzzing from it ?

Davy

26. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Davis,

Just to let you know the engineer (shop not Toshiba) came out and said it was a tube problem - he's ordered a replacement which I will check in the store before delivery

27. davidhunter

davidhunter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Good to hear that Common so a replacement is on its way ! I considered what to do for about a week and have taken the plunge and gone for the 36" as a replacement to the 32". It arrives in 2 weeks !! but once it does I hope and pray it will be quiet or it will all start again.

Hope your next one is a good one.

Davy