1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32ZD26 and HK DVD25 questions

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pullman, Jul 21, 2003.

1. pullman

pullman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everybody,

I have recently bought a Toshiba 32ZD26 television and a Harman Kardon DVD25 and I have some questions regarding the image and the video settings for progressive scan, which I hope someone can help me with. I apologise in advance if the questions are stupid! It's the first time I own a widescreen telly and a DVD player.

Within a minute or so of switching the TV on I notice that the vertical edges of the image appear "unstable". By this I mean that they move slightly inwards and outwards a few times before they "settle". I'm wondering if this is normal for a widescreen television?

I live in DVD Region 2 (Netherlands) and would like to enable progressive scan when watching movies. However, I don't exactly know how the DVD player's video settings should be to get the best picture when I use progressive scan on the TV (it's built in). There are quite a few of them (scan type can be set to interlaced and progressive, TV standard to PAL, NTSC, Auto for example) and a rather strange thing is that I can enable progressive scan on the player (which is NTSC prog.scan because I have not yet upgraded the player) even though I play R2 discs.

I would like to upgrade the player so that it becomes region-free and which also enables the PAL progressive scan. According to the instructions, I have to connect the player using a Composite lead. My question is if the process will work if I connect the player to the TV using a Scart lead if the "Scart video output" on the player is set to Composite or if I must connect from the round "Composite video out" connector?

Thank you immensely for your help

philip

2. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    It is worth noting that your tv does NOT support PAL progressive. My Philips 963sa had the option to output PAL material as 480p NTSC progressive. If your HK does not have this option then you will be limited to only viewing NTSC stuff progressively on your tv.
    Maybe another owner can confirm.

3. pullman

pullman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I forgot to give the full model name. I have the 32ZD26P which has PAL progressive scan.

Any ideas on the other questions, particularly re the upgrade of the DVD player?

Thanks a bunch
    philip

4. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Sorry mate but that model is NTSC prog scan only. I used to own one.

5. pullman

pullman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm strange. The Toshiba rep I spoke with informed me that the P model has PAL prog scan. In any case it can be sorted once I activate the PAL prog scan on the DVD.

6. kwangomango

kwangomango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    If you send a PAL prog signal to the the tv, all you will get is a blue screen. It will ONLY accept an NTSC progressive signal. To get a progressive picture for R2 discs you will need a player which downconverts PAL material to NTSC progressive.

7. gmt steve

gmt steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You'll also need to connect with a component cable.:lesson:

8. pullman

pullman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I'm really confused. I double-checked with Toshiba and they confirmed that the tv accepts both PAL and NTSC signals over component. This is also why I got the HK DVD 25 which can be upgraded to PAL prog scan and regionfreedom.

On the Apache website (http://www.apache.net/vision/dvd25_upgrade_01.asp) the description is as follows for upgrading the DVD25:

"To Run The Patch CD
    1. Connect DVD via Composite connection to a video monitor (TV, Plasma, Projector etc.)
    2. Empty DVD tray [...etc]"

So what gives?!

9. McPastry

McPastry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry mate but that sales guy fed you a load of BS. I have the 32ZD26P, and it will definitely only display NTSC progressive (feeding it a PAL prog signal will result in a blank screen, just like the man says above). However, it will deliver an interlaced PAL image over component, which still looks pretty damn spiffy (especially when used with the 'Progress' scan mode).

10. pullman

pullman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok I'm starting to realise this. Anyway the greatest image I've ever seen so I'm very pleased.

McPastry, since you also have the same TV maybe you can answer question 2 in the original post above, the one regarding the sides of the screen flickering back and forth a few times after turning the set on? To clarify, it is not a very quick flicker but rather that the right and left sides move inwards and then outwards a few times as if the image was being compressed towards the middle from both sides. This also occurs even if the TV has been shut of for a moment, i.e. is still warm, and then is turned on again.

I would really hate if this turns out to be a fault...

Thanks a bunch to all of you
    philip