Tosh 32Z17B Widescreen any good ? ? ?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Danatthepub, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Danatthepub

Danatthepub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I was thinking about buying A Toshiba 32Z17B widescreen TV but i havent heard alot about it. Has anyone got one of these? Or seen a review anywhere? Or can recommend one for me my budget is around £800 and it needs to have component input? Any idea's

Cheers

Dan

2. mixalot

mixalot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A friend of mine is interested in that toshiba as well.

Any idea where there are any reviews?

3. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I had one for 2 weeks but it went back due to poor geometry.

Plus points:
    good picture & sound.

Minus points:
    very poor picture on analogue TV - I think the tuner is very weak.
    Cheap nasty stand.
    can't select an AV input directly, have to cycle through all 4 options.
    same with screen modes, have to cycle through all the options.
    I also found that the auto switching for anamorphic w/s was very unreliable, and would often stay on the wrong setting.

I now have a JVC 32WFT1 which is a better TV overall, but I would say the Toshiba had a slightly sharper picture, but not by much.

Hope that helps. HCC do I get a job reviewing TVs ? :D

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not much of a problem. A widescreen tv without a digital tv source is not really worth having.

Like most widescreen sets.

Like most widescreen sets.

Toshiba televisions read scart pin 8 widescreen signalling as well as Line 21 and Line 23 WSS. The only potential fault is that if you manually change the zoom mode, this can turn off the auto-detection until you turn the tv off (or standby) and back on again.

On the other hand, the JVC doesn't pass the audio very well to an amp/reciever from other sources connected to it. Whereas Toshiba have being doing this sucessfully for years.

I'm not saying the set is perfect, but the reasons you gave would not have been mine for rejecting the set.

5. Danatthepub

Danatthepub
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for your replies, does anyone know where i could get a review for this TV?

6. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, I forgot to mention that the JVC sends a variable output via the phono sockets on the back - useless !

At least the Tosh sends a fixed output. However the workaround with the JVC is to feed Sky, VCR etc. straight into your amp.

I take your points on board, Doubledoom, but still feel that lower model Toshibas like this one are under-engineered to keep the price down. As are JVCs too probably :D

Happy TV hunting !

7. js

js

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've seen the Tosh in a few places and yes analogue siginals don't look too pretty

Beddie
    You say variable output, in what way exactly ?
    I'm moving next month into a NTL area, anyone know if the latest STBs have audio out?
    I'm waiting on the JVC to be delivered and my VCR automatically switches off after 10 or so minutes if not viewing a tape :(

Added
    - It might help if I read the manual :) I can use the VCR as a tuner only, just have to press and hold a button. But my other questions still stand :)

sorry to add this on to the thread.

8. Beddie

Beddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On the JVC the audio output via the phono sockets is adjusted by the volume control. This is a pain if you sometimes use an amp and at other times use the built in speakers, as the volume will be too low/high when you switch.

Most TVs output at a fixed level, which is much more convenient :cool: