Tosh 32WLT66 vs Philips 32PF7531D - my head hurts

Hallsy

Established Member
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of this going around at the mo, but it's a common comparison so would be good to know.
My head is hurting with all the toing & throwing!! Initially wanted the Tosh, via Currys with discounts for £575. Then they were out of stock, saw the Philips at comet for £599 - done deal.
Out of persistance, tried on currys/dixons again tonight and the Tosh is back in stock for me, BUT the codes are expired, so best I can get it for is £599 through Dixons with code.
If the Tosh was £575 I'd go with that, but as they'll both cost the same i'm unsure.
I looked at them instore, but the feeds to both were *****, so not worth considering.
I will using it for SD, DVD and occasional gaming (XBOX 360 possibly).

The general consensus for the Tosh is it's good, apart from some buzz.
Philips I have been told that it's SD performance is brilliant, yet I've read two opinions saying it is absolutely shocking!!

Help!!??

EDIT: Spanner in the works, Dixons site have 32PF7531D in stock for my area as well, and at £599, so with minus £20 voucher, £579 delivered.

Don't despair, and don't obsess about price. What's 25 quid in the grand scheme of how much you're spending?

The Toshiba has a very nice piccie on SD, running off an aerial feed, I didn't see the 32, I saw the 37, but I've no reason to think that the 32 would be worse, the smaller sets are often better, I've heard. I've not seen the Philips in action.

Just found reviews - take a look:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/television...9262427,00.htm

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews...levision.phtml

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...32in-LCD-TV/p1

AND John Lewis sell the Toshiba. Get them to price match your chosen supplier (try Empire Direct or a Currys 'instore' price) and get a five year guarantee with it. (Maybe Lewis's sell Philips as well, I can't be bothered to look)

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that, you're right - no point worrying about £20. JL do the Philips but are out of stock.
Going to have another demo today I reckon to try making my mind up.

Don't despair, and don't obsess about price. What's 25 quid in the grand scheme of how much you're spending?

The Toshiba has a very nice piccie on SD, running off an aerial feed, I didn't see the 32, I saw the 37, but I've no reason to think that the 32 would be worse, the smaller sets are often better, I've heard. I've not seen the Philips in action.

Just found reviews - take a look:

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/television...9262427,00.htm

http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews...levision.phtml

http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...32in-LCD-TV/p1

AND John Lewis sell the Toshiba. Get them to price match your chosen supplier (try Empire Direct or a Currys 'instore' price) and get a five year guarantee with it. (Maybe Lewis's sell Philips as well, I can't be bothered to look)

Hope this helps.

None of those links seem to work for me...

Let me know what you decide on please Hallsy :)

Well, another crazy day!! Phoned Comet this morning to check availabilty of the 32PF7531D, out of 4 local stores one had 3 in stock (Ipswich), but it was the furthest, or Peterborough had 2 (too far). Missus rang again to double check, this time they say none in stock!! I rang again, same as 1st 3 in stock at Ipswich, 2 at Peterborough.
Drive to Ipswich, 30mins later, ask assistant if there are any in stock - 'none in stock in Comet nationwide'. :(
Not even one on display to look at :(

So after reading two opinions that the pic was awful (against two that say it is very good), and the fact they are sold out almost everywhere unless you want to pay over the top - I settled on the Tosh for £599 delivered, this was my original choice after reading many good reviews so glad that I ended up where I started!! Shame I didn;t order it when the currys 10% codes were still working :(

Should be here next friday :)

So after reading two opinions that the pic was awful (against two that say it is very good), and the fact they are sold out almost everywhere unless you want to pay over the top - I settled on the Tosh for £599 delivered, this was my original choice after reading many good reviews so glad that I ended up where I started!! Shame I didn;t order it when the currys 10% codes were still working :(

Should be here next friday :)

The two opinions that said the pic was awful - was that relating to the Philips or Toshiba!? I was just about to log off and go buy the Philips! :mad:

I know there is a lot of this going around at the mo, but it's a common comparison so would be good to know.
My head is hurting with all the toing & throwing!! Initially wanted the Tosh, via Currys with discounts for £575. Then they were out of stock, saw the Philips at comet for £599 - done deal.
Out of persistance, tried on currys/dixons again tonight and the Tosh is back in stock for me, BUT the codes are expired, so best I can get it for is £599 through Dixons with code.
If the Tosh was £575 I'd go with that, but as they'll both cost the same i'm unsure.
I looked at them instore, but the feeds to both were *****, so not worth considering.
I will using it for SD, DVD and occasional gaming (XBOX 360 possibly).

The general consensus for the Tosh is it's good, apart from some buzz.
Philips I have been told that it's SD performance is brilliant, yet I've read two opinions saying it is absolutely shocking!!

Help!!??

EDIT: Spanner in the works, Dixons site have 32PF7531D in stock for my area as well, and at £599, so with minus £20 voucher, £579 delivered.

Toshiba hands down. High-end Philips are something to behold but their midrange and low-end system are quite poor/average.

LeeroyB - Sorry, didn't quite make sense, the Philips. I have had two people on here say that it's SD PQ is top notch, yet I've read of one person on here who said it was very bad and he returned it straight away, and also someone on Martin Lewis site said that the HD stuff looked good, but when wathcing football through the internal freeview it was pretty poor.
That's why I wanted to view one today - but no joy, plus the fact that anywhere selling for £600 is out of stock in my area.
So I went with the Tosh, good reviews only prblem is possible buzzing under low backlight, but more of a problem with the 37".

Just wished I could've compared them side to side for PQ, as I'm sure the Philips would've looked nicer hung on the wall.

Either way, I'll be happy with the 32WLT66 I'm sure :)

Toshiba hands down. High-end Philips are something to behold but their midrange and low-end system are quite poor/average.

The 32PF7531 that is the subject of this thread IMHO gives the best quality by far on SD freeview that I have seen in any set at this price, I agree that the 32PF55 and 32PF33 models are nowhere near as good. The picture on the Tosh looked good in comparison to other makes until you viewed it alongside the 32PF7531, you then realised what was missing!

Whether this is down to Pixel Plus or some other differential I do not know.

The 32PF7531 that is the subject of this thread IMHO gives the best quality by far on SD freeview that I have seen in any set at this price, I agree that the 32PF55 and 32PF33 models are nowhere near as good. The picture on the Tosh looked good in comparison to other makes until you viewed it alongside the 32PF7531, you then realised what was missing!

Whether this is down to Pixel Plus or some other differential I do not know.

You've made me happy reading that!
So I'm not making a bad move in getting the Philips you think then!? I can't find any stores with the Toshiba so I can look at them. I can also get the Philips for £575 where as the Toshiba is just over £600.

Maybe because it doesn’t use trit own S-IPS but more likely Sharp's ASV panel. Also, the Pixel Plus does help.

Maybe because it doesn't use trit own S-IPS but more likely Sharp's ASV panel. Also, the Pixel Plus does help.

As far as I know the 32PF7531 as with its larger screen counterparts uses the LGPhilips S-IPS panel. Only the very top of the range large screen Philps sets use the Sharp ASV panel AFAIK. The only negative point against the Philips 32PF7531 is that in SD the colour does not look as saturated (or "deep") as e.g. the Sonys and Samsungs but in HD this difference disappears. However compared to these two brands in particular the Philips is streets ahead in SD picture quality with the Tosh and LG also standing out.

I know the higher end models have ASV but if you closely look at the specs on some of their current models, you can clearly see that the lower models has viewing angle of 178/178 and the mid/high-end models has 176/176. I know it unwise to base a judgement solely on the viewing angles but the latest S-IPS has quoted viewing angle of 178/178 as where ASV is still 176/176.

Philips’s site is more accurate then others but I have to see it in real-life before confirming that statement.

PS: Is very hard to tell the difference between S-IPS, S-IPS Alpha and ASV but I’ll try lol

I know the higher end models have ASV but if you closely look at the specs on some of their current models, you can clearly see that the lower models has viewing angle of 178/178 and the mid/high-end models has 176/176. I know it unwise to base a judgement solely on the viewing angles but the latest S-IPS has quoted viewing angle of 178/178 as where ASV is still 176/176.

Philips’s site is more accurate then others but I have to see it in real-life before confirming that statement.

PS: Is very hard to tell the difference between S-IPS, S-IPS Alpha and ASV but I’ll try lol

One thing I am not aware of is what panel does the Tosh use?

IPS-Alpha

It’s a joint venture of Panasonic, Toshiba and Panasonic and Hitachi. The technology is based on the Hitachi’s IPS technology but it’s classified as a 6th gen Panel (Samsung SDI 7th gen, LG.Philips 7.5 and Sharp 8th gen).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom