Tosh 32WL56. Poor picture quality anyone?

R

rodos

I have recently bought a 32WL56 and am a little disappointed in the sharpness of the picture quality. It appears very sharp when there is a close up of an object (SKY News), but the further away the picture, the more blur it appears. Loacl ITV News, (Central) even the presenters are fuzzy. This may be a data rate issue on ITV's behalf

Is this a common problem with LCD TVs?, or Toshibas?, or am I expecting too much compared to my old TV. I have been given a Scart to VGA syncblaster cable to see if that improves the picture quality and to a certain extent the picture quality has improved, but I'm still not 100% happy with the overall sharpness of the picture on the majority of programmes where a lot of movement is involved.

I know that I could spend more money using the component connections on the TV, but to be honest is it going to be worth it if I will still experience a blurred picture quality on a number of programmes.

I would be interested to know whether I may have a problem with my TV?, or if anyone has overcome the same problems I have experienced?. Also I know it an individuals preference, but what settings have people used on the TV setup, ie clour, contrast, etc. I've spent ages tweaking and seem to have gone round in circles.

Sorry it's a little longwinded, but blurry pictures are starting to wind me up.

Mike

So will the picture quality be worse on the 37" TV? I've scanned the Forum and there don't seem to be many people complaining of blurred pictures on the larger LCD's. How do they get around the problem without spending loads on component boxes. When playing a DVD on my TV the picture quality is fine and that is only fed through a cheap scart lead via a scart selector. Some of my leads via the scart selector are cheapies. It's only this new VGA to Scart lead that has a gold plated connectors. Would having some of these cheap Scart leads make the picture quality appear blur

MADMAND said:
26/27" is the sweet spot for picture quality ATM, because of bad interpolation on larger lcds.

eh? The larger LCDs have exactly the same resolution as smaller ones, and its likely they have the same electronics inside too, so the image quality should be the same. Any subjective loss of image quality will be down to the image simply being larger.

SD (current sky/freeview) won't look fantastic close up, but as you move back from the set, it'll 'ping' into sharpness. The trick is to get the largest set you can afford/accommodate that'll still look sharp with sky/freeview from your normal viewing distances. Go to a shop that have a few sizes running reasonable quality pictures, and stand back about the same distance as you would be at home.

I still don't understand how you can have a perfect quality picture of a person sitting at a News desk, but for instance if that same person was sitting further away from the camera it appears blur on my set regardless of where I sit. On my old TV, SKY picture quality wasn't a problem. I just find it hard to believe that there is such a markable difference.

rodos
I have a 37WL56 & have found the following settings to give a very good picture with SKY via RGB scart.
Backlight 60
Contrast 75
Brightness 35
Colour 32
Tint 0
Sharpness -20
Black stretch off
Colour temp cool
MPEGNR off
DNR off
It has taken a couple of weeks of calibration & fine tuning to arrive at these settings which give a reasonable black level & a fairly natural looking picture.
I hope this helps, unfortunately the presets mode 1,2 & 3 & the factory setting are all
way too bright & saturated which along with the MPEG NR & DNR processing can cause the effect you discribe.

rodos said:
I still don't understand how you can have a perfect quality picture of a person sitting at a News desk, but for instance if that same person was sitting further away from the camera it appears blur on my set regardless of where I sit. On my old TV, SKY picture quality wasn't a problem. I just find it hard to believe that there is such a markable difference.

Its a Culture Shock comming from a top Quality CRT TV

Put Picture in picture on so it's in a small corner of your tv...Looks good and sharp..Yes well thats because the tv is getting enough imformation to nicely fill that area of screen, there is just not enough to make the image look nice at full screen

Cheers for the settings. I'll try them when I get back home from work. It's ironic that I work in the industry making sure everyone gets TV ( remotely monitor Freeview and the BBC's analogue TV network) and I struggle to set up a LCD TV. I'm sure I'll get there soon.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom