1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32wl48 the wait DRAGS on, and on, and on!!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by The Tonester, Mar 30, 2005.

1. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone else out there pulling their hair out wiating for the postman to pop their telly through their letter box?

I've been waiting since the start of Feb for a Tosh and I'm starting to get bloooooody annoyed now!
    After all the time spent reading up and making my LCD decision I've now sat for two months after D day desperate for the thing to arrive and my patience is wearing thin.
    What the hell are Toshiba UK doing????
    Placed my order with digital direct at the start of Feb and I still I'm hearing the same old story.
    Waiting on Toshiba UK!
    I've been told 4 times now that it'll "just be another week or so, and guess what, I ring up DD today (after basically being told last time that it would deffo be in my living room by April) and I get - "probably another 2 weeks or so"
    What????
    Went to my local John Lewis too (again!) and the guy there told me basically to not bother ordering one from them cos they have such a supply issue with these sets that he could never guarantee me ever getting one.

Has the world gone stark raving mad! I just wanna buy a telly!

I dispair I really do......Tell me I'm not alone!

DD seem deparate to offload a Sharp LC32GA5E on me everytime I ring them to stop me moaning and I've gotta say they are slowly grinding me down into submission. I suppose it's not their fault but Toshibas really.

Same panel etc - but no HDMI tho.

Gutted. Come on Toshiba pull ya fingers out!

2. hotlava

hotlava
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you ain't alone..... :(

I ordered one in January and waited........ and waited........ and waited.......

then I got fed up of waiting and cancelled the order hoping to find one from somewhere else but it's the same old story everywhere.

I'm seriously considering the Relisys RLT3200 at the moment, it seems to do everything I need and the guys on this forum who have one seem to like it.

I looked at the Sharp GA5 too but the lack of HDMI/DVI put me off.

3. mcscrambles

mcscrambles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been looking around for this set myself and then picked up today that the 32WL48 is being discontinued. Phoned Toshiba who confirmed this and could not guarantee any of the suppliers I had tried would get more stock.
    There are TWO new models coming out, the 32WL56 in May and a 32WL58 in August. They could give me no advice whatsoever on spec at this stage......I'm tempted to just overspend and get the Philips 32FP9986 - at least they're available! ....or go back to plan A which was to buy another CRT for time being and switch to LCD in another few years.
    Anyone any thoughts on the Tosh 32ZP46?

4. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I orginally had the Tosh on order from Dec got fed up around the begining of this month and plumpt for a set with a decent PQ which is the Sharp 32GA5E, ok so it doesn't have a HDMI input or DVI, but I paid £1100 for it and its nearly that for a decent CRT, so I don't mind changing again in 2 to 5 years time and by then LCD technology will have progressed greatly.

5. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah Toshbia UK told me the same story over a month ago when I rang. Seems you got the same kinda story. Done a little poking around and it just looks like one is gonna be a face lift version of the 48 to me. Theres a post on here with a few mentions of it somewhere. Nothing really concrete. Seems obvious they'll be fading the 48 out tho if theres a facelift model coming out to supercede it.

They Never told me there was gonna be TWO new 32" screens tho. they said one new 32" and a new 37 a I think.

I've also been tempted for ages to just over spend and go for the Philips 32FP9986 but then I just think, why the hell should I, when I actually prefer a "CHEAPER" LCD in the first place. Hence the digging my heels in and maoning about the long wait.

I e-mailed tosh today and they said.....

"Thank you for your recent enquiry. Please find the information that you requested as follows:

Due to high demand the TV is currently on back order from Japan, we are hoping to have them all sent out to customers by the end of April. "

So I sit and wait.... and wait....etc.

6. Zigster

Zigster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I also had a long wait before giving up - I originally ordered in early December and was promised for Christmas. I was still waiting in February when I decided to cancel - by that time the 32WL48 had been out 4 or 5 months which is quite a while the way that the LCD market is moving at the moment. I didn't know that a replacement was due but I'm not surprised.

I think Tosh got caught on the hop - a very good TV for a remarkably low price compared to equivalents - and didn't anticipate the level of demand. I'm just surprised Tosh reduced the official price from £2k to £1,700 as they must have realised how high demand was.

I've thought about alternatives and I also like the look of the 32GA5E and the Sony KLV32 but I want to see how the HDTV thing develops.

7. flukeskywalker

flukeskywalker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    dammit. I was about to order this screen until I read this thread. So whats the best alternative? Excluding the new Samsung, as I saw it in a shop and didn't like it at all.

8. calam

calam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same problem. I ordered a 32WL48 at the end of December and I am still waiting for delivery. I am considering cancelling and getting the new model 32WL56. However what are the specs and will we encounter the same problem of supply and demand ?

9. Deyvy

Deyvy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine today, and I only ordered it on Tuesday, quite chuffed, as I was told I would have to wait 2 and a half weeks as they were waiting for delivery...Not had time to check it out properly but first impression looks good..

Just in time (literally) for me to take it up to Manchester to the new flat;)

Oh yeah got it from Digitaldirectuk.com

10. NickN182

NickN182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was looking to get one of these so i went to John Lewis, had a look in their demo room at the one they had there, asked the guy if they had any in stock and they had one! So i snapped it up and after discount i got it fot just under £1500 plus the all important 5 year guarantee. By the sounds of things on here i was lucky to get it!

11. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Deyvy

How on earth have you got one off Digital direct???? thats where I ordered mine from and I'm still waiting.

They keep palming me off with the Toshiba UK story and I've just been back on the phone to them (yet again!) and questioned this and they insisted to me that "it is impossible that someone has just recieved one from us, we are still waiting for these screens and we have not had any for literally, what, months now".

Well that is what the bloke just told me on the phone.

God I'm getting impatient - I just can't be arsed to go for summit else and start comparing all the alternatives again, after it took me so bloody long to decide in the first place.

12. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you guys are not worried about having a DVI/HDMI input then it may be worth considering the Sharp LC32GA5E, picked one up myself for £1100 from beyondtelevision.com.

The PQ is excellent and for the money I can sit back and watch how the LCD market develops in the next 3-5 years and then change again.

13. HD Ed

HD Ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Deyvy,
    same comments as Tonester. Had mine on order since early Feb at DD. Wrote them an email as a result of your news. They deny having shipped any for months and can give no precise ETA for further stock.
    I hope they haven't sent you a return??

14. bigddd

bigddd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im still waiting for this screen from unbeatable.co.uk but will give up soon. What would be a good alternative with HDMI input not DVI and HD tv ready???? Thanks

15. Vallyboy

Vallyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only a thought but look at the date of Deyvy's post.

First post newbie,.... or am I being too suspicious? :nono:

16. Manic1

Manic1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW good luck with all the waiting you guys, meanwhile the benefits of LCD viewing pass you all by by bye bye !!!!!

17. bigddd

bigddd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I sit eagerly everyday waiting for my Toshiba, i have started to ask myself some questions of which I thought I already new the answer of. Maybe you guys could confirm.
    Am I correct in thinking the 32wl48 is going to be HD TV ready and accept the anticipated broadcast of Sky ?

18. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
    Ratings:
    +14
    *continues to shake off the dust after three years without a post*

.....so I was in JL on oxford street today and they have the Toahiba 32wl48 on display and for sale - which rather surprised me as no-one has any and their website states them as being out of stock. Any use to anyone? About 1600 sovs i think - wasn't loving it enough with heavy artifacts on a dvd throu scart, and the LG plasma may not of got past the wife even though I was loving the PQ for a cheap plasma, so trying to price match the tosh 'old school' CRT 36 picture frame 3 for 700 less than either of these two. Just couldn't justify almost double CRT price for worse PQ - although they almost won me over......... and the 32wl48 looked HD ready whoever was asking that.....

*crawls back under rock*

19. HD Ed

HD Ed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah but;
    my ol' ma always told me that the jokes on the teller after 12 Midday!

20. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    the joke is well and truely on you if you didn't take my advice friend! Went in today on my lunch break, and someone obviously listened to me as they have sold the remaining stock - including display model! I took a photo of the set still on display on my phone and might work out how to post it later it I can be bothered.....

deffo the tosh 32wl48 your all after as I took one on the little paper slips from next to it as well to prove it!

....like I said, when I went in yesterday these were for sale, and the guy was willing to sell me one - just wasn't as impressed by the PQ as i thought i would be... (also the 1600 sovs had a little to do with it)

Just hope some you guys on here got them, and not some random rich housewife who thought it looked nice......

21. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :confused: do I have to host pics to show them on here? I have a pic of the LCD for sale, and the JL stock slip thing if anyone wants proof this wasn't a wind up...... :cool:

22. Flying Bosun

Flying Bosun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was in JL Oxford Street recently and they had the demo set and stock slips. It said 'in stock' on the tag - but when I asked the sales staff they checked and confirmed that there was no stock and there was a large back order already sold. They also checked several other JL stores for stock, but drew a blank. No joy. Lets face it, there are none at the moment.

23. pizzed-monkey

pizzed-monkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ah! :) ...that explains it, happy to stand corrected - i just asked if they had some in stock and the bloke said 'of course', but looks like they've sold the Demo one cos now has an actual sold sign on that set as well. A red herring it was then, apart from whoever got the demo set i guess..... :thumbsup:

24. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they wouldn't even sell me the demo one at John Lewis in Newcastle.
    Anyhow I can stop moaning now cos I've given up the Tosh ghost after being messed around once too often.

The way I was looking at it was even if it came at the end of this month (which it still probably wouldn't) the new Toshiba models are only a blink away in the summer and thats just too close for comfort.

Found a great deal on the Sony KLV32M1 and plumpled for that instead. Too good a deal to pass up as I wanted a DVD recorder too.

Sony 32" LCD TV KLVL32M1B with FREE 5 YEAR WARRANTY + FREE RDRGX500 DVD recorder for £1590 delivered.
    http://www.robertwhyteltd.co.uk/sit...ductx=KLVL32M1B

Yeah I know all the hoo-har about it not being HDTV ready and stuff - but the picture quailty always looks class on the Sony every time I've seen it and with the free warranty and recorder it's just too good a deal to pass up.

25. Deyvy

Deyvy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Now you said that I'm hoping its not a return either...I apopped back to have a look at lunchtime and took it up to manchester that day ..not really had a good chance to watch it or take it thru its paces, and I'm in the middle of moving..but it seems fine...??(knock on wood)

This is no april fool either.. I got a picture of it in my digital camera I will post when i get home...

The guy said to me, when I ordered it, that no one has them at the moment, they're expecting a delivery in 2 weeks,and then about half a week for delviery. ALso said they had about 4/5 tvs that havent been preordered yet on that delivery, so I have to place the order and pay now to guarantee I would get one. Even my mum was suprised how quick it turned up...I dont know what to say...Beats me , I got my it, a I'm not really gonna ask why it came so early...

26. Deyvy

Deyvy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You got me worried now something might be wrong with it... :rolleyes:

Lol, do i really fancy driving up to manc after driving to London and back to give it a proper once over...???

I dont blame you Tonester buying the Sony one if you were messed around as much as u were, for me it was gonna be that Sony or Panny Viera..Was umming and ahrring about them not being HD ready all that, then read the What Hi fi sound and vision..

BUt yeah the Sony's picture is class..

27. The Tonester

The Tonester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It'll probably end up being fine. But these sets have been in short supply (well zero supply really) for a long long time now and it still seems bizarre that you've ended up with one in what appears to be a bit of a Toshiba drought.

So where the hell it's come from god only knows. DD keep telling me they are waiting for Toshiba UK (as is evey other distributer) and Toshiba UK keep saying they are waiting for Toshiba Japan. So until the big LCD laidened boat arrives from Japan with a gazillion brand new sets on it - then we'll all just have to sit and wait patienetly.

Which is something I just got sick off doing. Hence the jumping in with both feet and buying a bloody sony instead.

28. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Deep in the bowels of sussex where the angloargies
    Ratings:
    +1,763
    TOSHIBA 32WL56 W-XGA, 1366x768, 800:1, 500cdm2, HDMI, Includes Pedestal Stand - MAY £1081.70

Robinson Electric

29. nemo

nemo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Japan ... The 32WL48 is actually made in the UK, well that's what it said on the box that mine came in. :confused: