1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32WL48 & Panny S97 DVD via HDMI - anyone got?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ginger, Jan 17, 2005.

1. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to hook up a DVD player to my Tosh using the HDMI socket. The component input is used for my PS2 and I don't (yet?) own an AV receiver or have external speakers. I might have to consider an HDMI switching device when Sky HD comes out but that's a long way off.

From what I can find, the Panny S97 seems to be the best bet at around the £200 bracket. Before I take the plunge, I just wanted to see if anyone already has this combination and if so, what they think of it - pros & cons

Also, is it worth splashing out on a decent HDMI cable? QED do one at about £43. A decent SCART made a big difference to my Sky+ picture & sound, but that's an analogue signal.

2. NadXB

NadXB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the 32WL48 hooked up to the s97. I also invested in the SAXR70 amp that goes with the s97 and a Mordaunt-Short Premire speaker set (plus extra rear speaker cos the amp is 6.1)

Good news for me is that the SAXR70 has two component inputs and one output meaning I aquired an extra component. It also has a single HDMI input and output.

The s97 is a nice looking bit of kit--from the thin blue light on the front to the trasparent disc tray. Its looks are massivley improved when sitting atop the SAXR70. Picture quality via component is excellent and is almost as good as HDMI. HDMI has the edge in that it allows for 720p mode on the player and despite the fact that discs aren't recorded in such a high res it looks noticeably better. There is however a slight amount of grain in the picture but despite what you may read it is there for both component and HDMI signals (What Hi Fi reckon its only evident via HDMI). I have the sharpness on the 32wl48 set to -15. This seems to be the most ideal setting. Also have the backlight at about 80 and brightness down to 60ish (I think).

Overall, would highly recomend the player. Got mine from Digital Direct and was happy to see an extra sticker put on the box by them saying "Multi Region"

3. DLPGirl

DLPGirl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How is the sound from the amp SAXR70. Also how r u feeding sky?

4. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I've heard good things about the Samsung HD945 as an alternative to the S97.

5. NadXB

NadXB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky is being fed directly to the TV via RGB Scart and directly to the amp via a .05metre optical cable. The sound from the amp is excellent and recently used a DTS 5.1 audio DVD to give the system a decent test. Definately happy with the purchase and even more impressed with the s97 after upgrading the firmware last week--menus are quicker and colours seem to be handled much better, not that this was a problem in the first place.