1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32wl48 or Philips 9976?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by GadgetObsessed, Dec 29, 2004.

1. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm looking for a new 32" lcd and I'm currently considering the Tosh or the Philips. I have seen both on display and I have to sya that the Philips seemed to have better picture quality. (Both were connected up to a DVD via RGB scart)

I had particularly chosen these two models as they both have HDMI connections and speakers at the bottom.

I had also considered the following but unless there was a significant advantage in terms of picture quality the lack of an DVI/HDMI socket had put me off:

JVC 32C31
    Sony 32M1
    Sharp 32GA5E

Any thoughts?

2. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Have you compared the picture quality on your other possibilities with the Philips and Toshiba (JVC 32C31, Sony 32M1, Sharp 32GA5E)? And could you elaborate on what you liked / didn't like and how the Philips was better?

I ask because I compared a Sony (I tihnk a 32M1) and the Toshiba 30wl46 today and the Toshiba had distinct after-images / smearing during fast motion in dark scenes, whereas the Sony was excellent. (Maybe down to poor setup / connection at Curries). Hopefully the 32wl48 is as good as the Sony for PQ.

Have you considered the Sharp 32GA3E? It's only DVI but it is HDCP compliant, so you could use it with a Panasonic S97 DVD and get top quality (the S97 handles black properly going from HDMI - DVI apparently). It's supposed to handle PC input better also than the Tosh 32WL48, if that's important to you.

Why do I want to buy the 32wl48.... :zonked: ?

3. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I have seen the picture on all of the screens except for the Sharp 32GA5E. Unfortunately, I have seen them all in different places. The Philips was connected to a Philips DVD player in Curry's and the picture quality, even on dark scenes, (the film was When Tomorrow Comes) was very good. The picture was bright, flesh tones were realistic and there wasn't much noise in the picture. The Tosh was in Sevenoaks Sound and vision connected again to a DVD (I think via RGB) It was the second Indiana Jones film with lots of dark scenes. The picture was very mirky, with little contrast and poor detail. However, it could have been a poor DVD conversion itself. I'll have to go back and see the screens with a DVD that I know well. The Sony and the JVC both looked OK but not as good to me as the Philips. I havent seen any screen during fast action scenes so cannot comment on issues of smearing, etc.

I was under the impression that the Sharp 32GA3E was discontinued. I have not seen it anywhere. If you can still see one I'd be interested as it has HDCP compliant DVI I believe.

4. mikey2108

mikey2108

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Gary

I am in exactly the same boat as yourself, Did you come too a decision as yet on which screen. I cannot find a local store that has the Toshiba in stock and have only seen the philips in action. I must say I was extremely impressed with the piture quaility, it was connected up to a DVD player via RGB scart.

5. GadgetObsessed

GadgetObsessed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I'm edging toward the Philips but I've never been that impressed by Philips quality in the past.

I had heard such good things about the Toshiba that I'm tempted to go back with my own DVD and test it with that.

6. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I guess sevenoaks know how to best set the tosh 32wl48 up, and I'd be embarassed to ask in the shop, but it does make a difference. It might be worth playing around with reducing the brightness and/or the backlight to get blacker blacks, and then maybe increasing contrast and maybe saturation if helpful.

Please post your findings if poss!