1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32WL48 Calling all experts!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Eddy Kins, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Eddy Kins

Eddy Kins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've decided to go for the Toshiba 32WL48. I want to wall-mount the unit and feed it from my sources with Scart, Component video and seperate audio leads. The trouble is I don't want to have all those cables running up the wall!
    Ideally I was looking for a set with a seperate media box, but I really want the tosh.
    Is it possible to either buy or have made up some sort of switching box that will accept all these feeds and then output them through the HDMI to the TV,
    and if so is it likely to reduce signal quality or interfere with progressive scan etc. (I am unsure about HDMI ability to carry audio as wall as video)
    Can anybody point me in the right direction?

2. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Eddie,

My, you look young to go playing with all this TV stuff.

I have the 32WL48 and presently feed all peripherals through an automatic Scart switching box to the Scart 1 connector. This is not a purist solution but it works fine. You could do similar with component but you need five leads per peripheral and a control signal for auto switching will be absent.

You cannot do the same for the HDMI input for loads of reasons. The main one is that only one or two DVD players at the moment can supply HDMI; you cannot get a VCR or a SKY decoder which can.

HDMI does support video and sound encoded as a single bitstream.

I also intend to wall-mount and had my builder over this morning to discuss carving a channel out of the wall for trunking. As this is combined with redecoration I am happy with this.

3. Eddy Kins

Eddy Kins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mike
    Can you tell me what wall-bracket you are using? I would like to find one that tilts if possible.

4. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Eddy,

I have not yet selected a wall-bracket but will need to in the next week to keep pace with building work.

I saw something quite special by Path Group (Thame - 01844 219000). It is a wall-plate assembly with the TV fixed to brackets which slide horizontally on two bars. Therefore the TV can be moved left to right and tilted vertically (but not panned). The Model No. is U2. I will keep the forum posted.

Whatever you do, this is no lightweight at 24kg. It needs a heavy-duty mount and I would be worried if it going on a stud or block wall.

5. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your other option Eddy is to use an offboard scaler like the iScan HD. This takes all of your inputs and acts as a switching hub (component/DVI/S-v/composite/RGBs via scart).
    Importantly the additional functions will actually improve the performance of your panel:
    -all de-interlacing would be performed by the scaler rather than the (relatively) low budget chips in the screen.
    -The same applies to the scaling. In order to fit the pixels on the display, a lot of computing is required to change the resolution of your source (e.g. PAL= 720x576) to your panel (e.g. 1280x768). The scaler would also do a far better job than the TV alone and output it via a single DVI (therefore HDMI with an adaptor) cable to your set.

All this extra functionality and performance comes at a price though.... you're looking at £800ish as a starting point for a well equipped scaler... then the sky's the limit!

6. ginger

ginger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You might consider ebay if you're going for a scaler. I haven't got one myself but I did look at one point and £1000 rrp ones were selling for £300 to 400 2nd hand

7. Eddy Kins

Eddy Kins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The scaler option sounds more like the solution I was thinking of. The cost of it however means that for the time being there are going to be lots of cables going up the wall! When I can afford my next upgrade I may well take this route.
    Thank you all for your views.

8. PhilB1234

PhilB1234

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keep your eyes peeled for ex-dem iScan HD's too as the model has just been updated slightly and the new replacement model is the HD+. I picked one up for c£660. Still not cheap, but for what it does it's good value......