1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32WL48 @ 1366x768

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by brakepad, Jan 3, 2005.

1. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone got one of these running from a PC via the HDMI connector at 1366x768?

2. timjg

timjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We purhased a Toshiba 32WL48 LCD TV as it stated that it had a resolution of 1366x768 and a PC D sub input. However, when we select the PC input it only runs up to XGA (1024x768) and consequently will not run in full screen when we select 1366x768 output from the NVidia 5700 card in that mode. We have been able to get it to fill the screen by using the 'wide' mode but when we run the Hauppauge Digital Card in full 16x9 it doesn't fill the screen fully unless the transmission is an old 4x3 film or TV series.

On looking at the manual (yeah goes against the grain) it states that the highest resolution it will run in PC mode is XGA (1024x768).

So to answer your question - not yet

If anybody has been able to get it to work correctly I am sure it would be a big help to the community.

Regards

Tim G

3. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info. If you (or anybody out there) have the capability to try 1366x768 from your FX5700's DVI connector to the HDMI connector on the Tosh I'd be very interested to hear the outcome.

4. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    Im curious to this but if anyone can try this might be a possible solution?

1)Ati GFX card, It might work on a Nvidia also
    2)Ati DVI-Component Adapter (only available in USA)
    3)Connect component - LCD and run full resolution.

Is it just a case that the company wants to restrict PC usage not to effect TFT sales in general, seems companies just want to keep making it awkward.

5. Yaka

Yaka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    hmm might be worth a try, i know some who has one and first thing he did was hook it up to his x800 card installed in his shuttle and ran into the same problem everyone else has. so tell him about this and see if it works.

btw you be the same guy from oc.uk? :hiya:

6. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    The component adapter is only usually shipped with certain USA ATI cards never seemed to be released over here but is available as an option sold seperately also from ATI site.

Dont think Nvidia offer the same solution?

Yeah same person mate, but keep it quiet ;)

7. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see any reason why the ATI HDTV component adaptor wouldn't work, but from what I have seen it makes the display driver switch to different mode, with only 720p, 1080i etc available, hence it's still not possible to match the panel resolution.

Still strikes me as a workaround to what is surely the best quality solution of a digital PC-to-TV connection and a 1:1 match of screen:panel resolution.

BTW you can pick those adaptors up on eBay for about $20. Try a search for 'ati hdtv component'.

8. mickbarlow

mickbarlow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    got my dads on ebay for his HTPC and projector, works a treat.

9. hechizero

hechizero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone been successfull with the ATI HDTV component to HDMi on the 32wl48 yet?
    This whole deal of restricted resolutions via the official PC connection is ridiculous. I have been using the s-video connection from my ATI card instead, of course the quality suffers a great deal, but I can't stand watching movies on what seems like a 21" TV when I have just spent over a grand on a 32" LCD.
    Also, by the time I fork out £100 for the ATI component and a long enough cable, I wish I had chosen a TV which actually supports a full screen PC connection... :mad:

10. phibsboro

phibsboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you guys know that I got my dvi-hdmi cable in the post (13 streling delivered to Ireland, not bad at all! from www.cableuniverse.co.uk ) this morning and my new FX5200 with DVI should be arriving any day from Komplett. So I'll defo have an answer to this question shortly.

Re the ATI HD thing, I would add two points. The first is obvious if you know it, but just in case - that adapter only works with ATI cards (and then only with specific cards) - it is not converting VGA to component, the card already produces component, the adapter just exposes it. You can get VGA->Component adpaters but they are spendy. Secondly, if you do have a component output, you will fill the screen - its as simple as that. You may have to mess around with powerstrip or modelines (linux) but it will work - by definition the component inputs will take a full screen picture. Finally on ATI - just to clarify a mis-understanding from the post above - obviously the adapter does not output HDMI, it outputs component.

The real issue is whether DVI->HDMI will take a 1366x768 picture - my gut feel is it will (similar to component input, I assume the people who have connected HDMI dvd players saw a full screen). If it does then that is the definitive answer to PC connection issues.

C

11. brakepad

brakepad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I await your results with baited breath (and with credit card in hand to snap up a Tosh if you can get the native res working!)

12. Alain75

Alain75

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interested by the results also, but wouldn't be surprised by bad news yet again ... :rolleyes:

Knowing that the philips LCDs are broken on PC HDMI input, as well as the Tosh DLP RPTVs, and that the new Sharps LCDs don't even have HDMI !! :(

What's going on :confused: , I want a TV, an Amp, a pc and that's all !!

13. bad robot

bad robot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +349
    It is a disgrace that none of these expensive Plasma, DLP or LCD sets offer a simple fully working great Tv and high res fullscreen PC experience.

Maybe within the year some manufacturer will see fit to do it properly. This is one of the reasons I got the AE700 projector utilising it as a 3rd monitor when needed. 1920x1080 models will be appearing this year even new slim 15" deep CRTs so somethings bound to arrive to suit both purposes soon.

Lets hear how you guys get on but dont think the HDMI will work neither, have a feeling a digital connection DVI/HDMI will trigger the set into displaying the same way. Its different with DVD over HDMI as its not a high resolution output.

You could try lower resolutions with the DVI-HDMI cable to see if fullscreen works. Just maybe when it detects a high res over these connections it triggers the set into not allowing fullscreen, only a thought.

Component being analouge may still offer the key.Keep us posted.

14. phibsboro

phibsboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick update (but no solution yet!)...

I got the card last night at 10:30 (bloody local delivery crowd had dropped it into a neighbours and didn't leave me a note...). Played with it for a couple of hours...

Basically, I coultn't get it to work, but... I did get a picture of sorts. I am running linux (to get Myth PVR) and when I booted with both the PC/VGA and DVI/HDMI connections hooked up, I got a boot picture on the HDMI connection.

Interestingly, the previous situation when I only had VGA was that I could see the initial bios boot but as soon as it went into the linux boot I lost the screen, all the way until X kicked in with the actual 1024x768 resolution. Now, with both VGA and DVI connected, I have the same situation on VGA but on DVI/HDMI I see a picture all through the linux boot up until X kicks in. On my boot, this is a combination of text and a GUI picture with a progress bar. When X kicks in the HDMI loses the picture. Also interesting is that the GUI picture was showing in a 4/3 window but was squished tall, like it should have been in widescreen mode. I am not sure what resolution this boot is in - I would suggest standard VGA, tho I would have thought the basic VGA connection would have displayed that as well.

I added a few 1360x768 type modelines but these just bombed out on both inputs (very time consuming having to run upstairs to another computer to ssh into the downstairs one to reset the config :) )

I'll have more time to play with it over the weekend. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to approach things, I would appreciate it. I intend to start by switching the card into a windows machine and running powerstrip against the TV.

I have emailed Tosh asking for their position on this - I would strongly suggest they have a case to answer if they are advertising a wxga TV that can't actually be driven at that res.

Finally, some postive news - I checked back on the detailed brochure on the singapore site today and it actually lists the valid signals for the HDMI input. One thing I noticed is that the 720p one is listed as only being available at 50Hz. I don't fully understand this but it might explain why my high res modelines were bombing out - they were all at 60hz.

Cheers,
    C

15. WonkyEwok

WonkyEwok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Sneaky tv sets that just want to be moo-ey and not work with pcs?

Is it possible that the tv is only happy if it sees a real 1366*768 over hdmi, and that anything else triggers it to have a wobbly?

I've read that for hardware limitations most graphics cards can only output resolutions which are multiples of 8 (and possibly 16) pixels wide, ie not 1366. (Except some of the matrox parhelias if I remember right).

16. MrNoxious

MrNoxious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes

17. phibsboro

phibsboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sooooo,

After a couple of nights messing, here is the result of the Irish jury...

It works, kinda, but the picture is dreadful :(

All these results are under windows, I couldn't get it working under Linux (didn't try too hard given the results.) Using standard Nvidia HDTV resolution of 720p the Tosh worked straight off. The actual resolution of this setting to 1280x720@50hz. Instead of having a border round it (becuase its not quite 1366x768) it acutally fills the screen. In fact all the resolutions for the HDMI input scale to full screen as far as i can see - the 540p and 480p did as well. I went on to use Powerstrip to try some custom resolutions but couldn' get anything beyond 1280x720 to work - 1360x720, 1368x720, bothx768 etc.

So, I have a higher res than the standard PC input and its in Widescreen format - yay! But - when I ran a DVD (or DIVX or whatever) in any of the accepted modes, the picture was dreadful - basically really noisy, it looked like a picture from a pretty good rabbit ears. Divx's looked really blocky, much more so than usual. I thought maybe it was cos I was so close to the TV (I had moved it upstairs to my computer room for the weekend), but standing out in the landing didn't help :(

After the disappointment of all that, I dragged it back downstairs, hooked up my downstairs PC and was again delighted at the output I am gettting from that. I have never owned a high end DVD, but to my eyes the pic I get from the PC input is the best I have ever seen. Just to recap from another thread, the trick with the PC input is to tell your media player that it should output 16:9 onto a 4:3 screen - it then sends a squished up picture to the telly. When you knock the telly into widescreen mode, everything looks hunky dory. In linux this is done by the -aspect option for mplayer and by setting displaysize correctly in xorg.conf for xine. There should be similar settings for zoomplayer, vlc etc.

So, for the moment, PC input at 1024x768 is the best we are going to get, but to my eyes that is more than acceptable. On the HDMI side, I have a feeling we may have a problem with that input - a number of magazine reviews have described input from the HDMI connector as noisy - exactly what I saw. I was using a bog standard 2m DVI-HDMI cable.

C

ps - I am assuming the previous entry from the first poster is a troll! speak up now if not...

18. MrNoxious

MrNoxious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Apart from being a troll, I would have to agree with most of what you've said.

I've got it running via a PC output to HDMI but not at it's native resolution.
    The best I managed was 1280x720, but I'm sure it seemed to be a higher quality picture than that of the VGA input (I was using a 2m gold plated connector) - albeit stretched slightly so fonts look a bit funny, and strangely stretched beyond the screen size all round, so you're missing a little off the edge of the screen.
    Did get it running at a higher resolution (can't remember exactly what) but with a GIANT black bar all the way round.

Achieved the above by playing around with PowerStrip. Not yet tried it extensively as I had no 2nd monitor plugged in at the time and every time I selected an output it didn't like it wouldn't display, which proved problematic!

TBH I'm perfectly happy with running off the VGA port ATM.
    Running games(Half Life 2), surfing, general stuff etc at 1024x768 is lovely :) and using the fix detailed by Phibsboro for watching movies works a treat.

I was testing using a Radeon 9800 Pro, I'll hook up another PC with a Geforce3 TI200 at some point to see if that's any different

19. phibsboro

phibsboro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you try running any video while you had it in 1280x720? I felt the desktop looked ok (not as sharp as VGA and as you say it was overscanned but for HTPC thats fine) but when I ran DVD or DIVX it just looked dreadful.

C