1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 32PZ38 Progressive Scan Problem

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by das nut, Oct 29, 2003.

1. das nut

das nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

I have just purchased a Tosh 32PZ38 which is great, and I have just added a Pioneer DV-565 DVD player to the mix.

The problem I have is in Progressive Scan mode using the component outputs of the DVD player.

I am suffering from what look like missing frames (the picture is not smooth but jumpy), and on fixed images (logos etc) I can see the picture visibly moving around on the screen.

Using RGB Scart mode the picture is fine.

any ideas\clues?

2. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I have the same TV (in 36" guise) and DVD, and I get the slight jerkiness also (as you say, like frames are being dropped). It took me a while to realise what was happening (it seems to happen only on fast moving scenes here).

Using 'interlaced' component produces a nice picture without any of the frames being dropped.

I'm also having problems with progressive scan sometimes not being detected, which results in a picture that is seemingly too big for the screen.

This leads me to think that there is something amiss with the PAL->NTSC conversion. However I'm not qualified to suggest what it might be, or indeed if there is a 'setting' somewhere that will fix it.

Changing the output type on the DVD (PAL->NTSC->AUTO) does make progressive work for a while (with the dropped frames), but it seems to 'lose' the setting after it goes into standby.

This is with R2 DVDs by the way.

3. das nut

das nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply cadire.

I have just heard back from techtronics support and this is what they say:

I think you are referring to problems when playing pal discs. The player does not output pal progressive, what it does is convert the signal to ntsc and then output this as progressive. The result being that the signal is progressive scan but you will get a frame rate loss due to the conversion. If you use an ntsc disc this problem should not occur. Use the interlaced setting for pal, and the progressive setting for ntsc.

so I'll try a NTSC disc tonight and see what happens.
    I'll keep you posted....

4. das nut

das nut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    success. NTSC disks play fine in progressive scan mode with this combination.

shame half my disks are R2 and PAL.....

now to order Two Towers Extended version in NTSC....

5. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Use the interlaced output from your player and the TV's own internal Progressive Scan mode.;)

6. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you mean component interlaced, this won't work as the options to choose TV based progressive is not available when component (EXT4) input is selected.

I tried my newly arrived 'Finding Nemo' R1 DVD, and progressive works just fine.

The interlaced component mode is very good... pity the player can't auto-select settings based on DVD region :rolleyes:

7. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Does that TV have a Movie Theatre Mode or something similar that can be used on EXT4?

Usually just leaving it on AUTO will have it switch between PAL & NTSC automatically. You'll have to manually toggle the Progressive/Interlaced output though. Might be different with your player but with my Toshiba if you leave it set to Progressive and use an R2 disc it converts PAL to NTSC and outputs it progressively (which is crap and has the same problems you've already seen).

8. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10

'fraid not. There's no scanning options available when using the component input.

I don't have many R1 discs, so it's not a huge problem to switch form progressive to interlaced.

The annoying thing is, I decided to 'upgrade' to the Pioneer after my £60 PLU2 was damaged. That little beauty did PAL & NTSC progressive and had all the bells and whistles one normally expects (but not DVD-A or SACD).

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Shame when upgrading takes a step backwards. Just a thought, you could connect to another AV input via S-Video and then use the TV's Progressive Scan mode. The DVD player should output S-Video at the same time.

Depends how fussed you are about using PS (interlaced drives me crackers now!) LOL:D