1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh (32) v Panny (85) - Remind me please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by timp, Dec 19, 2004.

1. timp

timp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can someone remind me of the pros / cons of the Tosh 32 and Pan 85. Prices are pretty close and having had an HS-2 (Panny) for a while I like the simple Partial Erase and Divide menu options amongst other things. Need help to choose one or the other.
    I realise this has come up a lot before but some of you lot are pretty good at picking out salient points!

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    XS32: Pros

Can write to DVD-RW (as well as -RAM and -R).
    Has DV input

XS32: Cons

Has a steeper learning curve

For the Pany 85 it is the opposite; e.g. no -RW, no DV, but easier to use.

In terms of recording quality, both are excellent. Some reports say the Panasonic may have the edge, but I can't say for sure. I have the Toshiba and I find it excellent quality (and I watch it on a large 42" screen).

I wanted DV in (so I considered the Pany 95 instead of the 85). I also wanted -RW, so I could make re-writable recordings to watch once (then reuse) on another player.

Mark

3. timp

timp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that Mark - the DV in I already have on the HS-2, so no issue there. Not at all bothered about -RW as I'm more than happy with DVD-RAM. Looks like the Panny gets it as I'm already familiar with it's somewhat quirky interface (assuming it's pretty similar to the HS-2s)

Cheers,

Tim