Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Tosh 32 & DVD format (Advanced puzzle)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jdarushall, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think we all guessed that the Tosh is funny with DVD-R media.

Sometimes things written on the Tosh won't play in other machines or it take ages to read the disc.

The disc it creates dones have the usual folders in there but so what, but any DVD-R you create have a CONTENT menu.

If the disc has a CONTENT menu (as well as a normal DVD menu) you can DUB back to HD. Also the disc is read about 5 times faster.

I tried the following:

1)
    Writting to a DVD-RW then copying files to a computer then writting to another -RW.

The disc didn't have a CONTENT menu just the normal DVD menu. Hence took a long time to read but played OK

-----> CONTENT menu not in the VOB files

2)
    Writing to DVD-RW then copying the disc using varrious software.

Nero = No Content menu
    DVD-Decryper = No content menu

Instant DVD (very old free with drive version)
    DVD had a Content menu and loaded very quick

3) Did another copy to DVD-R and....

No Content menu and it took a couple of mins before it read the disc.

Disc were copyied in Disc at Once mode and DVD-Decrypter using ISO copy

When viewed in the Tosh the discs with a Content menu all have Disc Status of Normal but ones without have a status of Protected!

Anybody any ideas how/where the Content menu info is put??? - All I can think of is its done something in the finialising process but then why does DVD-RW to DVD-RW work???

2. cuseeme

cuseeme

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm also looking at this and trying to find some software to analyse the Tosh disk structures and work out where the problems are. Disks I record on my SX32 play back on the SX32 and laptop only - none of my 4 other DVD players (Tosh x 2, Samsung, Pioneer) will touch the disks :-( Until I get to the bottom of this it's stopping me archiving all my VHS tapes in case I can never play the resulting DVDs back.

3. El_JimBob

El_JimBob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Discs i've created work fine in everything i've thrown them at so far (Ronin, AMW, Pacific and our ancient Sony player) and my PC has no problems in loading created discs in a matter of seconds (just tried a Monty Python disc i made last night and it took only 6 seconds before XPs autoplay menu came up).

Maybe you have a duff recorder Cuseeme (or maybe im just really lucky).

4. jdarushall

jdarushall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess no one has any idea.

Is there such a thing as a sector DVD copy program???

The answer must be in the way the disc is finalised?