Tosh 28ZT29 fault

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by JohnW14, Aug 23, 2004.

1. JohnW14

JohnW14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone help me?

I have a 28ZT29 idTV and I think it's fantastic. However it has developed a very annoying fault.

When I turn the TV on the digital tuner won't work. There is just a blank screen. The TV menu works, but the DTV menu will not. During the time when it doesn't work, if I watch analogue TV or a DVD or video, every so often the screen turns blue for about 2 seconds and the sound goes off (except the digital audio which continues). It then displays the current channel or EXT as if I just turned to that channel.

It will do this blue flash for a varying length of time, although it does it more if I've been away for the weekend and not used the TV.

I called the Comet engineer out who refused to fix the TV as I had a weak analogue signal which meant I had a weak digital signal which in his opinion was the sole reason for this fault (despite the fact that it worked for 5 months previously). It (typically) did not do the blue flash for him and he did not want to speculate on what might have caused something he had not seen!

Has anyone had a similar experience with their Strata TV? Can anyone suggest a fix, or something I can say to Comet to get them to look at it properly? Can I demand a replacement?

I appreciate your assistance.

2. Nigel Fisher

Nigel Fisher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,
    I had a similar problem with my 28ZT29 after 14 months.

The fault apparently lay in the 'text board' which was then replaced. This cured the problem although a similar problem then started occurring about 5 months later.

I got it repaired elsewhere this time and the problem was diagnosed as a dry joint on the non-volatile RAM on the text board. This was fixed and it has been ok since (about 6 weeks so far).

Hope this helps.

3. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The DTV menu works regardless of whether you have a signal or not - you just don't get any pictures of course, only the menu! This was the case on my mate's 32WT98, and all set top boxes I've seen are the same.

There's definitely a problem on the TV, the 'engineer' is blowing out of his arse with the weak signal excuse - this has no effect on the TV menu system.

4. JohnW14

JohnW14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

The engineer arrived and fiddled with the remote control. After getting no digital picture he concluded (without opening the TV) that it needed a new digital box and has now ordered this from Toshiba.

This seemed to me to be the easy way out of the problem. Is this symptomatic of all engineers from High Street chains? Replace whole modules rather than locate faults? Not sure I have much faith that he will fix it now.

Will update you again once the new 'digital box' arrives.

5. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep it is. None of them can fault find to component level, that's left to proper engineers, not these imitation ones they send out in vans.

He may be right though, and I'll tell you now if that digital board is faulty and is anything like my brothers it is a nightmare to work on!

6. JohnW14

JohnW14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, an update for those that are still interested.

On Saturday a third engineer visited, this time with an entire digital module. (The second engineer only brought the digital power supply which failed to cure the fault).

As he arrived he cheerfully announced that he has no idea what the problem with the television was and he had only been sent to fit this particular part. I politely tried to explain the problem with the blue flashing, but he (like the others) dismissed me as an idiot saying that that had to be reception related and nothing to do with the TV. He didn't seem to want to hear my argument that it would flash while playing DVDs.

Anyhow he fitted the digital module (and stated on the work sheet that the list price was about £220! For what is, in effect, half a set top box! Fortunately it's in warranty) and then tried to tune in the TV. Failed miserably.

He turned it to analogue and retuned that, but was surprised when that did not tune the digital. I saved the day by taking the remote from him and doing it myself.

The long and short is that yes the digital works.

Or rather worked. Yesterday evening, at about 11.00, as I changed channel lo and behold a blue flash and the digital tuner goes down. Admittedly it came back to life after about 10 seconds, but as this is how the fault originally began, I suspect it will get worse.

My dilema is do I call them out again and waste another three half days waiting for these idiots (in the knowledge that it will not do a flash for them and they will conclude it's all in my imagination), or wait until it gets worse.

Any advice gratefully received.