TOSH 28ZD26 - Upgrade the DVD player to PROGSCAN?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by english_bob, Sep 18, 2002.

1. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I have a 28ZD26 and love it. (P.s. it also suffers from a buzzing, but I think you need dogs hearing to pick it out)

I previously used a SONY 525 DVD player via RGB SCART as my main player. Since getting the new TV, I used another player from another room, a cheap MICO CLASSICA 20. This has component outputs, so I bought a component cable, connected it up to the TV and was blow away!

The colours via the component over the RGB-scart were incredible! So now the MICO is under the TV, and the SONY has been religated.

My question is (yes there is one!)...Does upgrading to a PROG SCAN DVD player really offer that much more of an improvement over the already stunning COMPONENT connection?

Given the screen size is 28", will it really improve it that much? I've been toying with the idea of upgrading to a PROGSCAN player, notibly the TOSH 510 from RicherSounds (or holding out to see if SONY bring out a budget PROG SCAN model).

I not really bothered about PAL Progressive, as 99% of my DVD collection is Region 1, so NTSC is king

Any of your comments and opinions I welcome. I know some of you are using 32 inch models with the TOSH 510. What do you think?

I've always been impressed by SONY DVD players, so how are TOSH DVD players? My SONY has 100% reliability record, played every disk, never dropped out etc.

Regards

EB

2. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    There is much more info on the huge 36zd26p thread. But in answer to your questions

YES check out the link below for the proof
    Good luck. I tried getting mine from them 2 months ago. And they said that they had discontinued it (I heard it was because Tosh didnt like them selling it so cheep)
    My 510 replaced my Sony 725- both were as good in component but PS from the Tosh just made the Sony look budget.

Hope this is of some help mate

Paul

3. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Cheers Obv!

I've checked out your scans, I was dubious about the improvements until I looked closer on the Crouching Tigers shots

The improvements on the tea pots was impressive, more so than anything else! I take it that most of the improvements are on patterns and straight edges?

How do skin tones and human faces look?

Im suprised at Richer Sounds. There still on the website!

Cheers

EB

4. russ080379

russ080379
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If its buzzing, why dont you get it replaced. Someone replied to my post and said they suffered with the same problems and got it replaced with one that doesnt have any buzz at all. I called qed-uk.com so hopefully i'll get it replaced with one that doesnt buzz because it really is starting to get right on my nerves.

5. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I'll re-phrase the word "buzz" and use "hum" instead.

It's really not that bad. With the DVD whirring, the Sound Amp buzzing and a movie playing, it gets lost.

I did read your post, and true, the hum dies out when you change to PROGRESS mode.

I just take the hum as part of the internal processing and general operating routine. I can hear it, only just, if the TV's on and the sound is down.

...now if it where to scream like my last TV, it would go out the window for sure...

Oblivion
    With the TOSH 510 DVD, is PROGRESSIVE SCAN something that you can TURN OFF and ON?

Cheers

EB

6. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yep :D There is a button hidden under the flap of the remote which switches between NTSC(i) and NTSC(p) and on the fly to so you can play ur fav dvd and compare the difference easily

Paul

7. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Nice!

...out of interest, where did you buy yours from? Multiregion of course. How much did you pay? I take it Richersounds did'nt supply.

EB

8. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I got it from webelectrical here for the grand some of £239.99 a saving of £160 off the RRP:D Made up for the fact I paid full price for my TV.

They have stoped listing it a few months ago which is a real shame because the play ony came out in May. They are yet to stock the 520, which now Pal PS is legal it will most probably have as well as NTSC PS.

I wonder if they stoped selling the 510 for the same reason as RS??

Paul

9. english_bob

english_bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I doubt the 520 will have PAL Progressive Scan, its in the new TOSH Catalog, and I under PAL ProgSCANs only come about in the last month or so????

Anyway, now surely the TV can't do PAL ProgScan? Can it?

EB

10. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well Toshiba recon it will, but people with PAL PS DVD Players say no.

As for the 520 I don't think it has been released yet so there is always the chance that they will modify it to PAL PS? Just a thought.

Paul

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I am also one of the ZD26P owners
    Emailed Toshiba about Prog scan, they said it should work
    Emailed them again yesterday stating that I tested the set with PAL progressive (625p) and it does not work....
    Still awaiting their response
    Will post as soon as I hear from them...
    Cheers

12. Oblivion

Oblivion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look forward to an answer to that

Paul