1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 26WL46B (LCD)/Sony KE32TS2E (plasma). Any good?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Rob20, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I'm looking at buying a 26"/32" flat screen tv. I've ruled out crt's as I don't have the space. Currently I like the look of 3 screens:

1) Panasonics 26" TX26LXD1 high def lcd - £1,650.
    2) Toshiba's 26" 26WL46 high def lcd - £1,310.
    3) Sony's 32" KE32TS2 - £1,750.

I've mainly been looking at the panasonic which got a had a good review in what hifi magazine. However, I also like the look of The Toshiba which at £1,450 is cheaper and also smaller, (as it houses it's speakers under the screen rather than at the sides). Also, It's supposedly 16:9 as opposed to the 15:9 of the panasonic. Alternatively there's Sony's 32" plasma which is a similar size to the panasonic as it's just 5cm wider. Will a plasma give a better picture than the 2 lcd's? is the sony compatible with 720p?? at just £100 more than the Pan it's 6" bigger screen size is tempting. However, the screen resolution is smaller at 1024 by 854!? whatever that is...

Ultimately it's the quality of the screen and value for money that are my main considerations. I'm willing to pay up to around £1,750 fro a new tv, but only if the picture quality is significantly better. Need a minimum of either 2rgb, or 1rgb, 1 component. :)

What would you go for?

(to be connected to pan Dmr85 via prog scan/ Gamecube via RGB/ NTL Pace digital box via RGB).

2. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just to confuse you, for the price of the 32" Sony you could also get a Hitachi 32pd5200

3. apreading

apreading

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The Panny has a digital tuner - which is a definate plus if there are no other deciding factors. I havent been able to see one yet though.

The JVC 26 gets very good writeups, but every time I have seen it the Sony 26 has just blown it away. Compared to that it always seems blurred and poor quality. There is a Samsung which had the best sound out of about half a dozen models I saw by far - but didnt have component input if I remember right. There was a Thompson which I would normally ignore, but it really wasnt bad - it was also the only one with a glass sheet over the screen for protection, something which I would find very interesting with two young children.

Like you, I really think the speakers being under the unit works much better, especially for the space I have - and it is a real shame that more of them dont do this.

I also have some concern about the 'stalk-like' stands than many of them have - seem too easy to wobble/topple to me. The Samsung, and I think a Toshiba had much more of a sturdy look.

Very difficult to decide as there is so much diversity and none seem to be perfect in all areas...

4. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I forgot to mention that sound isn't a consideration as I have a seperate surround sound set up. I guess the reason for speakers being generally at either side as it enables a wider sound field. Personally I would prefer a set that allows you to detach the speakers to place them at the sides, beneath, or not at all. Like Pioneer's 42/50" plasmas.

Has anyone got the Sony 32" set. If so, what's it like?

Just re-read my first post and realised I'd written I was most interested in screen size when I meant to say screen quality. I'd rather have a smaller screen if it gave a better picture.

5. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Has anyone out there got the sony 32" plasma? would be interested to know what you think of it, and whether the component input is prog scan pal/ntsc compatible. Can't seem to find that out anywhere!? :confused:

6. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the KE32TS2 Sony set, and am really pleased with it.

I'm not terribly technical, so can't say whether the input is progressive scan or not, but I have seen posts on this forum that imply you can connect the PC to it via a 15D to 5 RCA cable (Just got mine this morning!)

DVD quality is excellent, as are the high bandwidth channels on Sky Digital.

Football is quite rough due to the amount of compression on Sky Digital.

If I had my time again would I go for a Sony? Probably yes, depending on the price! it's not the easiest to mount on the wall if that's what you plan to do (it has a fan in it and needs 70mm clearance to the wall according to Sony) Plus the sockets come out of the back towards the wall.

The set is very easy to use (a real issue with the wife and kids) and looks good (wife).

The stand is a 'stalk like' one, but seems reasonably sturdy. Sony supply 2 small 'brackets' to tie the back of the screen to a wall with some chain though to give extra security which makes me think they must think it's a bit flimsy.

Rich

7. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Cheers for the reply. I've seen it for just under £1,800. Though the Toshiba 32" LCD WL46 is also £1,800. By the time I've made my mind up the next generation of panels will have been released. :rolleyes: :laugh:

8. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good price, I paid just under 2K for mine a couple of months ago. (with a 'free' DVD recorder!)

I'll report back my experience with connecting the PC once it's working (or not!)

Rich

9. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You couldn't let me know how wide the tabletop stand that came with it is could you?

Thanks

APC

10. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The footprint of the stand is just about a semi-circle, at it's widest point at the back it's about 460mm, and about 230mm front to back.

Rich

11. APC

APC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. Much appreciated. :smashin:

12. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem APC :)

Rob20 - I don't think that the inputs are prog scan. I have read that ALIS screens are no go with PS (but I don't know if it's right or not!), and the KE32TS2 is an ALIS screen.

BTW, the RGBHV 15D to 5RCA works a treat to get the PC onto the screen. Got my cable for less than £40 for 12ft PM if you want details

Rich

13. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE!

Just spoken to Sony and the inputs are not progressive scan on the KE32TS2.

It looks fine to me as it is though!

Cheers

Rich

14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Cheers for the info. I was really looking for a set with prog scan. I think I might just hold off for a while and see whether prices fall/specs improve. :)

15. bankend

bankend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am puzzled by Sony saying that the KE32TS2 does not have progressive scan inputs.

I bought one on Wednesday together with a Pioneer 757Ai. I connected them with a component cable and set the output on the Pioneer to progressive, and now have the best DVD picture I have ever seen.

After reading this post I checked to see if the Pioneer had defaulted to interlaced output but it is still set on progressive and the progressive indicators are lit. In addition, the Pioneer manual says that if you try to use progressive scan with an incompatible TV you won't get any picture at all.

Going back to the original post, I can't comment on the other two but am very pleased with the KE32TS2. Coupled with the Pioneer, the picture quality on DVD is stunning and even on terrestrial TV (don't have SKY and can't get Freeview) it is perfectly acceptable as long as you don't sit on top of the screen - and better than that with decent material.

Personally, I find the plasma picture more natural and organic than LCD, and decided to go for the Sony now before 32 inch plasmas are phased out altogether.

Hope this is of some help.

16. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    is that why there are so few 32" plasmas out there? I suppose it doesn't make sense producing two different types of flat screen at the same scren size.

17. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, I was confused too, it would seem that although the screen accepts a progressive scan input it does some 'magic' to the signal to display it.

I am absolutely delighted with the KE32TS2, I think it's fantastic, loads of inputs, great picture, good looking when it's turned off.

I don't regret my decision to buy this TV one little bit.

Rich

18. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess that the 32" Plasmas are a hang-over from the times that LCD wasn't available in that size, it wasn't all that long ago that 19" LCD was exotic!

IMHO plasma is a better option than LCD at the moment, LCD is still a little 'smeary' for my taste, and if you get the right plasma, then the PQ is great!

Rich

19. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Well whoever you spoke to is telling you lies. I have a KE32 and it works fine with 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i via component input. 576p from a decent progressive scan dvd player is a definate improvement over 576i. The manual specificly says so too. What might be confusing them is that the screen is natively 852 horizontal by 1024 vertical interlaced (ALiS), and has the same spec as the new hitatchi.

20. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was my experience too cyber, but I wasn't sure that it was really true.

I beleived the Sony guy because he went away for ages, rather than just give me a quick no to get rid of me!

Just got my PC connected up - Sweet :thumbsup:

21. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Can somebody explain to me why the SONY has a screen res of 852 by 1024? what does it mean in real terms? :confused:

22. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rob, below is a quote from one of the many websites I visited before making my choice!

"Sony's Digital Pixel Generator™ System "scales" (converts) signals from all of your video sources so that they precisely match the panel's 852 x 1024-pixel resolution for the best possible picture at all times. The exception is when you feed the TV a 1080i signal from an HDTV tuner. Because 1080i is so close to the panel's native 1024i resolution, 1080i programs are displayed without any vertical scaling — you see 1024 out of the 1080 lines. The few lines of information at the top and bottom of the image that are discarded are insignificant (naturally the image still completely fills the screen). But the clarity and detail gained from cutting out one conversion step is very significant."

Hope that helps a bit!

I have not regretted my decision one bit, I'm pleased as punch with it.

Cheers

23. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Is this via a component lead, or just the standard rgb scart. Does this mean it will accept hi-def broadcasts?

24. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My PC is connected via a 15D to 5RCA (RGBHV) cable.

No idea about the HD broadcast capability - I don't understand all these terms too well!

Rich

25. Plugman

Plugman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well went to Harrods today and had a look at the latest Toshiba 26" model together with many other Lcd's . Despite having the contrast full on the picture was fantastic. Very impressed with the viewing angle and I would certainly say that all the latest Lcd's are vast improvements on last years models. These new models (Sony, Pana)look on a par to last years award winning Philips although the Harrods price £1849, was high. Although you don't have to look far for an unbeatable price. They also make Jvc's 26" look decidely ordinary.

26. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Rob,

As cybersoga says, the Sony will take 720p and 1080i HD signals on the component input. The 720p signals would be interlaced by the screen for display, and the 1080i will be displayed minus a few lines top and bottom. Hope this helps.

Steve

27. Marc_J

Marc_J
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought my KE32TS2 and I must say I'm extremely pleased with the picture quality :thumbsup:

However, one of the main reasons I bought it was to run a PC into it - when I got it home I was surprised to discover that it didn't have a standard 15 pin connection (I know, I should have checked beforehand!). Not a major issue, though, as I'm sure there'll be a workaround (Dr Downey, I've PM'd you!).

Re the wall mountabilty of this model, does anyone have experience of this? I've already returned one bracket as it was far too deep, but now I've learned (from this thread) that Sony recommend 70mm ventilation clearance at the back! Has anyone ignored this advice and thrown it against the wall anyway? If so, I'd be interested to hear about it :)

Sticking with the wall mounting, this model also has all the connections coming straight out the back of the casing, not at the bottom or the side like most. This means that it can't be mounted completely against a wall anyway, as the connections (particularly the power and any SCARTs) protrude well beyond the "bounding box" of the case, even although the connections sit in a recess at the back. I managed to get a right angled power lead but does anyone know of a space-saving SCART lead (of good quality)? The only other option is to knock holes in my wall - but it's a brick wall [​IMG]

28. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've decided on the Tosihba 26" lcd. As the tv is for a bedroom I think the Sony would be just a bit too large. Room is only 4m by 3.5m. The Pan has the digital tuner but as i have a digital cable box it really isn't that crucial. The Toshiba is also narrower and more importantly, £350-400 cheaper than the Pan at £1,275, (inc. del) compared to £1,600-1,675 for the Pan). Plus I like the number of inputs. 2 component leads will allow for my pan 85 dvd player and either a console or future hi-def box to be connected at the same time. Plus it seems to be the only set with 1366-768 pixel res whereas the others are 15:9. :D