1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tosh 26WL46 - I'm in the home straight.

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Timber, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez, I thought choosing an LCD TV would take me 45 minutes price research and in fact it has taken the better part of 3 weeks! Thank God for this forum (that means you guys :clap: ) else I'd have been stuffed if I had had to rely on the magazines and 'experts' in John Lewis or Comet.

Anyway, the choice has come down to the Tosh or wait for the next wave of new models that look set to arrive in the next couple of months. Value for money looks great for the Tosh at the moment so I'm probably going for it pending a couple of remining questions:
    I've seen ref to 26WL46 and 26WL46B, any difference?
    Any of you that has got one comment on its sensitivity to viewing angle please?
    Not checked for stock but best price I can find at the moment is £999 inc deliveryat PRC Direct, anyone beat that?

2. dmsims

dmsims
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. mrm3

mrm3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    The new model looks like a great screen and price.

What are the response times like?

4. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I have just got a 26WL46. Only had limited time to play with it so far, but it looks a great screen.

I also looked at the 27WL46, but decided on the 26" as I preferred the styling, and the 27" won't be available for a couple of weeks.

I have heard bad reports of electricalscentre.com, but the 27WL46 is available for £985inc from buyyourav.com, who have a good reputation and should have units in from mid-November.

My only slight reservation with the 26WL46 is that it is quite deep for an LCD set. The new one is a lot lighter, so may be a bit slimmer as well.

All in all, I can totally recommend the Toshiba LCD's, the picture quality is close to the best 26" I have seen (Panasonic) for a great deal less money.

5. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Actually, having just had another look at the other 26" LCDs at lunchtime, the Toshiba is not really that deep after all.

It doesn't contour in like the Sony and Panasonic models, giving it the appearance of being a bit deeper.

6. mikearv

mikearv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The new tosh range seems weird, the 26" model has their "active vision LCD" but no DVI, yet the 27" model has DVI but not "active vision".

Not sure how the pq of the 26 and 27 compare.

7. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    Mike,

I thought the same thing, but the recently updated Toshiba website seems to confirm that the 27" and 30" models do have Active Vision.

The original press release for the new range said that it was only included on the 32WL48.

I guess we will have to wait until the first models become available to get the definitive answer!

8. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The B just refers to the British model. The viewing angle is pretty good on the Toshiba, you can still see the picture clearly from almost 180 degrees.

9. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. Bought the 26WL46 today from Powerhouse for £999. Lowest web price I found via Pricerunner.co.uk was £899 at ElectricalsCentre.com though their web site made no mention of it and customer reviews warned me off even giving them a call to see if the price was correct. Next lowest was a number of web retailers all at £999 so a Powerhouse, just a couple of miles away, was an obvious choice.

10. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its out of the box and working. Still getting to terms with the setup however I note from the box that it is model 26WL46P if B is for British what is P for?

Also, one of the menus does not look like the instruction manual. Under 'Picture' in the menu the manual shows DNR, Black stretch, Colour Temperature, Auto Format and Grey Screen. My TV shows Contrast, Brightness, Colour, Tint and Sharpness. Anyone shed any light as to why so?

11. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    keep scrolling down past sharpness and the others will appear! :)

12. Timber

Timber
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doh! (thanks Posh Bloke)

Defaults made for a very unnatural looking picture - I've now mucked about with every setting and got the PQ all out of balance - it's like trying to tune a racing engine! Anyone who reckons to have optimised it care to share the dark arts?

13. The Hemulen

The Hemulen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
  14. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Can somebody explain to me how the wl46 has been replaced so soon. As far as I know the 46 has been out for less than 6 months. :confused:

15. Mike246

Mike246

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Timber,

The P in Toshiba language stands for 'Pan-European'.

If you haven't worked out the picture controls yet, do as follows. Set all to default. Set the Black Stretch and DNR to Off. Adjust the Sharpness down carefully to get riid of any pixellation on fast movement. Set Contrast and Brightness to your taste using dark and bright scenes.

Only activate the DNR if you will be using a weak UHF source. Even then, it will be a waste of time.

The Tint control will be inactive. It only works on NTSC sources. NTSC is the US forerunner to PAL and stands for 'Never Twice the Same Colour'. Use the Colour control to reduce over-saturation.

You should be left with a superb picture and you will be delighted that you bought Toshiba.

16. daveb975

daveb975

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    It certainly is quick - a lot of shops still have the 26WL36 in stock - now effectively two generations old.

Toshiba appear to want to make a big impression on this market sector - the 26WL46 already had the opposition beaten on price. The new set has DVI so looks even more competitive.

In the next class up, the new 32WL48 is even more class leading.

I don't think there are any other significant differences between the 26WL46 and 27WL46.

17. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Apart from it being £300 cheaper to buy online and having dvi. :( :rolleyes: