Tosh 210E

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Brianjhussey, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well, it would appear that my 2109 is a write off,i.e. it will cost more to repair than to replace.
    While awaiting the final decision, I have been reading with great interest the various messages on this fascinating forum. As a result, I have decided that my next purchase will be a Tosh 210E, available from Empiredirect @ £159.99 plus postage.Richer Sounds have it @£ 159.95 but it is not in stock!! Seems a familiar story.
    Why do many want 'chipped' versions?
    All of my DVDs are region2. What am I missing?

2. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Missing?:

Earlier release dates
    Better back catalogue of titles
    More extras
    Unrated extras
    Unrated versions
    Likelihood of both DTS and Dolby Digital audio
    Better audio (space saved on NTSC picture can be used for audio)

(increasingly, R2 discs are coming close in terms of some of these factors, but by-and-large, multi-region will give you more felxibility in terms of expanding your software collection)

Others will add arguments for and against I'm sure.

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,490
    Hi Brian

This may come as a suprise but not all DVD's are created equal, region 1 America and Canada are usually released first and have a greater number of extra's, for some this makes all the difference, also whilst we in Britain and Europe (region 2) suffer from discs incorporating only one sound format usually Dolby Digital, alot of the region 1 versions also support DTS which again alot of people prefer.
    Also picture quality can vary from region to region, so getting back to your original question, people prefer to get the Tosh chipped to make it region free giving them the choice of which Region disc to buy.

Long winded but I hope it helps, and I'm sure someone else will throw their tuppence worth in:D

Si

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    and cheaper prices

Planet of the Apes £14.99 delivered (within 3/4 days) from Play247.

Cheaper Region 4 as the Australian Dollar is performing so poorly with deliver again in 4 days.

Long live the internet.

5. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    talking of Planet of the Apes and play247. I ordered mine a few ago on pre-order at only £12.99. It's just arrived this morning.

6. Brianjhussey

Brianjhussey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Dear bh, Zone, Ian J and Andypandy,
    Many thanks for your comments.
    Although I've been a DVD fan for a couple of years and have collected 25-30 films in that time, I have previously failed to understand the fascination with,mainly, region 1 software.

Earlier release dates don't excite me, but more extras, DTS sound and cheaper prices certainly do.

Having just recently retired, early!, and become acquainted with the internet,I am amazed that ordinary retailers survive.

The major task in hand at the moment is a new kitchen for the Wife but a spin off is the possibility of a dedicated TV/Cinema room, which was going to be a study/computer room.
    When the kitchen is finished, I'll be returning to this forum for advice about equipment e.g. RPJ screen size, amplifier, speakers etc.
    In the meantime, once again very many thanks for your helpful comments.