Tosh 210e vs 510

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by petrolhead, Apr 12, 2002.

1. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Is the 510 £200 better than the 210?

Currently have Pioneer 535 but I would like component out.

Will I notice much difference between the 2 as fas as picture quality is concerned.

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both players, the 210 for bedroom use and the 510 for my HT use.

Kind of depends on what you're looking for in a player and what kind of kit you're viewing/listening to the player on.

The 210 has the Zoran Vaddis IV chip, the 510 has the new Vaddis IVplus chip so there is almost certainly benefits there, although possibly slight.

The 510 is a better looking player and, in A/B comparisons, does show a crisper, more defined image. Sound wise the 510 is more dynamic and feels 'quicker' than the 210.

I also would edge towards the 510 as it offers progressive scan playback... maybe not something you can take advantage of now but the extra money will future proof you for a year or two if you move into the projector field.

Also, if you buy online the 510 can be had for as little as £299 multiregion. The cheapest I've seen the 210 multiregion is £169, so it's really only £130 more expensive.

To me, it's a no brainier... pick up a 510 :)

3. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I own the 510 and think it is great for the price, check out this thread here

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Progressive scan play back?

Not sure what that is. I have a VPL Cs1 projector but only with SVideo and Composite inputs although I may change it if I can find a buyer.

On an other thread someone mentioned problems with S Video. Is this so?

Ok read the thread. Thanks TIMH.

Hmm difficult one. Since posting, spoken to a couple of people who think I will not see much picture difference between my old Pioneer 535 and the Tosh 210.

The Tosh 510 has had a comment about the SVideo being crap??
    Also one disadvantage - Prog Scan in not pal.

This leave me in a predicament so I am going to hang fire. Will probable buy the amp first as thats a shure thing :)

PS Had to edit this again - must be pi**ed

5. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Petrolhead, check out www.progressivescan.co.uk for more info about progressive scan. Click 'articles' and you 'll find all the info you'll need.
    If you're going to upgrade to a newer projector, I'd make sure your DVD-player has a progressive scan output (even if this is only useful for NTSC source material)...

- Tom -

6. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I`m thinking of upgrading my Tosh 2109 and being happy with the brand I am considering getting the Tosh 510 but can anyone tell me if it has an MP3 decoder for playback or will I have to go down to the Tosh 220 for MP3 but risk the more advanced features of the 510 . Is it really worth it ??

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I borrowed an MP3 disc of a friend and it played fine :)
    The Handbook states, it will play cd-r's of 650mb only. cd-rw not recommendable.
    sampling frequency: 44.1 KHZ only
    Bitrate : 32kbps-320kbps

8. apexsec

apexsec

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Tim ,
    I think the choice is a no brainer ----The 510 has to be the choice

9. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    apex

Its a great player, I am very pleased with it :)
    This is also my fourth player, and is leaps ahead in picture and sound quality from my previous players, the best £300 I have spent for a long time.
    Wait to you see the fancy on screen menu :)

10. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    For Info:

black / silver multiregion verisions of the SD210E (£169) & SD5810E (£259) inc vat and del from www.webelectricals.co.uk

I've gone for the 210, just arrived and a-ok,

Best prices I could find after lengthy search.

Regards,

Chris L.

11. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    chris l

Do you know if the multi-region mod from webelectricals can handle RCE discs? I am just about ready to go for the 510E from there but there is no info on what the mod gives you.

Any grumbles with webelectricals or the palyer you've got?

Cheers

12. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason: it doesn't matter which mod you get done on the 510 as I believe the RCE problem isn't an issue on that machine.

You won't regret buying one, that's for sure.

13. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    jasonlgriffin

I got the 210 and it’s wired up and all's a-ok.

re RCE, I don't have any disk to test on the 210 and there is nothing in the manual either. Likewise iv'e no idea on the 510 and can't find any mention on the site at all.

Give them a call 08790 90 76543

For Info, I'm not at home at the moment so cant check, but I am sure the packaging had the Eletro Centre on it, which iv'e seen advertising in the various hifi mags, based in Birmingham from memory. Excellent service though and I got a black version (euro model) which is what I wanted to match the exiting kit etc.

Regards,

Chris L.

14. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Chris L

Just to clarify: you bought your DVD from webelectricals but you think the packaging had ElectroCentre on it? I've checked their web site as well and no mention of the multi-region mod. I've emailed both to find out.

juboy

Where did you hear about the 510 and its ability to handle RCE anyway?

15. chic

chic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +871

i have a multi region 1 510 from av4u and it playes my r1 charlies angels ok which is my only rce disc

16. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason: where did I *hear* about it?

I own a Tosh 210 which did have RCE problems, my modded player needs a workaround (luckily a simple one) in order to play RCE discs.

I also own a Tosh 510 which doesn't need a workaround and has not had the RCE protection removed by it's mod. Which, therefore, suggests it doesn't have the problem to start with.

17. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    I also own the 510, I believe The R1 Babylon 5 disc is RCE and this played on mine :)

From memory, RCE only effects players which use the remote hack, any players chipped should be OK, but dont quote me on this.

18. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From what I can see, the 510 comes with an "AV lead". Any idea what this is (I think the Tosh brochure said it is a component video lead)? Is this lead sufficient (I also have a Tosh 32ZP18 on order) or should I purchase a better component lead, and if so where is a good place to get this from (want good quality but not prepared to pay silly money for it)?

19. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    The supplied cable is red white and yellow fo video and audio connection, this should work fine connected to your componant in on your tv.
    The Media Factory sell good quality Van Damme componant cables here email them for a quote, I payed £42 for a 10 metre run delivered.

20. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gone ahead and got the 510 from webelectricals so I can get it in time for my new ZP18 late next week!!

I guess I'm just a bit new to all this, but I think I also need an audio cable as well! Should I go for coax or optical for mid-range quality.

I've also got some DVDs on order (Shrek R1, Being John Malkovich R1, The Matrix R4). From what I can gather Shrek is the DVD of all DVDs at the moment - esp for wow factor (I've got friends to impress!).

Is there anything else I'm missing or need to know - I want to be ready to go with watching a DVD when it all arrives!

So far I think I can do this:
    - use the 510 bundled AV lead for component video
    - get an audio cable (which, where?)
    - wait for a while like an excited little child!

Anything else?

21. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jason: I personally use an Ecosse 'The Producer' co-axial lead from my 510 to a Denon 2802.

As far as I'm concerned that cable is an absolute stormer and, in value for money terms, totally unbeatable. You should be able to pick it up for £19.99 or possibly less. Do search for it online or pick one of the many hi fi retailers that sell it.

BTW, the lead that comes with the player is about as cheap and nasty as it gets. You would be well advised to pick up a better one... it doesn't have to cost the earth but will give distinctly better results.

22. chris l.

chris l.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    jasonlgriffin

Just checked packaging and the "Inital City Link" barcode sticker etc has from "Electro Centre", no mention of webelectricals enywhere ?

Chris L.

23. jasonlgriffin

jasonlgriffin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I need to connect my Tosh 510 DVD to my Tosh 32ZP18 TV - audio and video.

I am going to go for the Ecosse Producer (0.8m) @ £17.99 from cable-shop.co.uk. This seems to get better reviews over the Ixos 105 (?) and is cheaper anyway.

I am also thinking of going for the Ixos 171AV Component Video (3 RCA - 3 RCA) cable which I have seen for £24.13 from directdistributionsales.com. Can anyone comment on this cable. Is there a better/similar one for around the same cost.