1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

tos link switch?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by micks_address, Jul 4, 2004.

1. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi folks,

Not sure of the place to ask this question as its more of a wiring question that anything else. I have two sound sources both outputting tosh link or digital fibre optic - which ever is the correct term. Trouble is i only have one tosh link input on my amp. Rather than having to physically switch the fibre optic cable between both sources - its there any handy way i can switch the two sources? Any suggestions welcome... i do something similar with my video sources - 2 component sources into a video switch to projector but i'm not sure if there's a tosh link switch out there

Cheers,
    Mick

2. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Can a mod move this to the cabling and interconnect forum? Jumped the gun when posting last night - thanks

3. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  4. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    looks like the job... wonder do they post to ireland?

5. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    went ahead and ordered it anyway... to complete the last piece of my wiring jigsaw... i dont think i have place to wire up anything else..

ps2
    x box
    dvd player
    vcr
    amp
    all into projector/amp

just to finish off the room i've ordered a remote dimmer switch off maplin for complete lazingness... thats it not going doing anything else... only thing i'm missing is a gamecube but i dont think i'd be able for it... to many appliances in the one room and not half enough time to use them!

Cheers,
    Mick

6. WILD9

WILD9

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Would you mind posting back just to say the toslink switch works well, im sure it will, i was about to order one myself but since youve got there first you might as well be the test pilot ;)

7. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    will post back as soon as i get it - probably towards the end of the week

cheers,
    mick

8. micks_address

micks_address

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hi folks - sorry for the delay in replying but i only got my switch last friday.... dunno where the delay was but it toke over 2 weeks to get here. Anyway just to let you know it works a treat. The switch is pretty big so your not fidling around with it. Does exactly as advertised.

Cheers,
    Mick

9. tmj9815

tmj9815

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hope you don't mind me hi-jacking this thread. I have just purchased a TOS Link switch and two cables to connect my Sony DVD player and Netgem iPlayer to my amp. Beforehand I could listen to both DVD and iPlayer by using one TOS cable by unplugging from one and connecting the other.

My problem is, with both of these plugged into the switch and one cable running into the amp, only my Netgem will produce sound. If I switch on the DVD player, no sound is produced whilst watching a DVD. I have to unplug the Netgem TOS cable from the switch to listen to a DVD. One thing I have observed (I'm no expert) is that whilst unplugging the Netgem (which is on stand-by), it's still omitting a signal down the cable (red light showing).

Anyone offer any advice on how to resolve this? The amp is a Yamaha HTR-5540RDS.

Thanks to all!

10. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,616
    Sounds like you have a splitter and not a switch . I used to run my Xbox and SKY+ through a splitter , to the very same Amp :smashin: . Had to put SKY+ into standby , which shut off the optical signal . Have you tried that with the Netgem ? Not familiar with it I'm afraid

John

11. tmj9815

tmj9815

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John, I take my hat off to you :thumbsup: ! I've just checked my invoice for the TOS Link cables and 'switch', and it does in fact say, 'splitter'! Solved that in one go mate! Thank you, and thanks for saving my 'little patience' (or what's left of it :D )! Now, what can I do with a splitter apart from launch it across the garden wall?

And the Yamaha is one hell of a beast! :smashin: