Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

tornado subwoofer

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by moghm, Apr 19, 2005.

1. moghm

moghm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello there,

I was wondering if someone could help me

I have a JVC kd-g701. This has a subwoofer out. I dont want to go over the top with an ice install so I was thinking about buying a tornado 8inch subwoofer and fitting it in the parcel shelf without an enclosure. Does this mean its just a matter of running a cable from the subwoofer out from the stereo and connecting it to the subwoofer.

Also, do you think that the subwoofer might be too heavy for a Peugeot 206 parcel shelf ?

I am going for tornado, as I do hear that these are quite good products compared with their price.

Does anyone know if they have a website ?

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    Firstly, forget the Tornado sub. They are not very good (i'm being kind here), i heard one fitted in a car bought by a mate and it was woefull.
    Secondly, the outputs on the rear of your JVC are low level outputs and as such they will not be capable of driving a subwoofer. You should run a cable to enable connection to an amplifier from these outputs- a standard phono connector will do the job.
    Thirdly, consider a subwoofer that is mounted in an enclosure rather than a free-air design as they don't really cut the mustard and i suspect you will be very underwhelmed by the performance if you do go down this route. Consider a better quality 10'' or 12'' sub, mounted in either a sealed or ported enclosure driven ny a suitable amplifier.