Torn between xh90 and q80t

danudan

Novice Member
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for 55" TV(waiting for Black Friday / Christmas discounts) and got pretty confused. I'm going to use it in 60% for Netflix and 40% for gaming at Xbox one X(soon Series X) and it will be situated in bright living room with lots of windows(however I'm going to watch some Netflix at night with light's off). At the moment I'm torn between Sony XH9005 and Samsung Q80T. Which one will be better for those purposes, Samsung with better HDR peak brightness or Sony with Dolby Vision? And if I am wrong and both of those tv's sucks at HDR content, isn't it better to get cheap 4k LCD and use it without HDR?

Dodgexander

The Samsung Q80T is probably about as low as you want to go where HDR is concerned, with the Q90T being recommended as it gets quite a bit brighter. The Sony XH9005 will be a tier beneath the Q80T and you'll get more problems with certain HDR titles being washed out, or too dark with it.

If you want to tick a box so in the future when you use Dolby Vision games they work in the same format as the TV then you could go for the Sony instead but its not really what I'd call a 'True' HDR TV. The Samsung will work with those games using HDR10 instead, and be impressive.

You may want to consider going for a TV like the Hisense U8Q or Sony XH9505 instead if you want Dolby Vision but by doing so unfortunately have to give up HDMI 2.1 VRR.

You're better going cheap than going for a cheaper TVs than than ones you are considering, but once you reach a certain level its more beneficial to have HDR engaged.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for 55" TV(waiting for Black Friday / Christmas discounts) and got pretty confused. I'm going to use it in 60% for Netflix and 40% for gaming at Xbox one X(soon Series X) and it will be situated in bright living room with lots of windows(however I'm going to watch some Netflix at night with light's off). At the moment I'm torn between Sony XH9005 and Samsung Q80T. Which one will be better for those purposes, Samsung with better HDR peak brightness or Sony with Dolby Vision? And if I am wrong and both of those tv's sucks at HDR content, isn't it better to get cheap 4k LCD and use it without HDR?

I'd say neither. The XH9005 is not as bright as the Q80T, you need to look at the XH9505 for it's excellent HDR but no 2.1 hdmi (if that's a factor for gaming) and the Samsung doesn't have DV, but the Sony's do. As with most things television it comes down to what you value the most. None of these sets will suck though, all are very good, just have different strengths and weaknesses.

danudan

Novice Member
Thank you guys for your advice. I understand that neither of those TVs ain't perfect and High-end but I'm trying to pick the best Tv and pay not more than 700-800 £ (hope that the price of those tv's will drop as much). HDR is sth new to me and I'm curious if HDR in Q80T for example is worth that kind of money(cannot afford to buy xh9505). If i pick cheaper model for example Hisense u7q will the picture quality be significantly worse than in Q80T? Which Tv would you pick if you were in my shoes ?

Dodgexander

The Q80T is certainly worth the extra. Its the first time you really get a TV that has decent HDR support. The Hisense U7Q is a step down in local dimming and brightness, but the U8Q is actually more similar to the higher end Sony XH9505.

A lot will depend on local pricing, availability and what deals come when you want to buy. Hisense in the UK are really aggressive with pricing, so its unlikely something will come close to the value of the U8Q here in the UK. Not sure if that will be different for you or not though.

danudan

Novice Member
On paper Hisense U8Q is a perfect choice for me - Dolby Vision, HDR peak brightness of 1000 nits but sadly I've read a few reviews and all of them suggest that there are some problems with motion and backlight(which is probably the problem of software?) and also about lottery with good/bad panels. After that research i'm more convienced to pick Q80T which i believe is a safer option. Can you tell me if im wrong? Which Tv for netflix/xbox would you buy if you had only700-800 £ at most to spend and lots of time to wait for discounts? More expensive tv's are out of the game for me.

Dodgexander

The Q80T is a worse spec overall TV due to lower peak brightness, but has a more renowned smart system. Hisense are a little behind when it comes to tuning local dimming on their FALD TVs, but no worse than LG. The motion problems have been reportedly been fixed by contacting Hisense for the latest firmware. You can read about that in this post: Hisense U8QF TV Review & Comments

The panel lottery thing isn't exclusive to Hisense, you can get lucky or unlucky even with TVs like the Q90T.

With time on your side and that budget if you search to buy around spring time as new TVs come in and older TVs are moved into clearance you'd be getting close to affording the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T which are around the same level as the Hisense U8Q with peak brightness, but come with more robust firmware and local dimming.

I would not jump the gun and spend the money now on the Q80T just because its not good value for money. Even if you end up purchasing the Q80T at a later stage, you'll save a lot compared to today's pricing which will be very high.

danudan

Novice Member
Thanks, Dodge and LCDseeker for advice. I'll just keep waiting and track prices of q80/q90t/xh9505 and Hisense u8q and gonna aim for a better PQ rather then HDMI 2.1 features. Im curious of prices for the Christmas. Recording to the pricespy, xg9505 price dropped from 1899£ (March) to 900£ (December) and XH9505 starting price was 1699£, maybe it will drop to 900£ awell(or even 800£), what do you think about incoming discounts?

Dodgexander

Thanks, Dodge and LCDseeker for advice. I'll just keep waiting and track prices of q80/q90t/xh9505 and Hisense u8q and gonna aim for a better PQ rather then HDMI 2.1 features. Im curious of prices for the Christmas. Recording to the pricespy, xg9505 price dropped from 1899£ (March) to 900£ (December) and XH9505 starting price was 1699£, maybe it will drop to 900£ awell(or even 800£), what do you think about incoming discounts?
You'll see bigger price drops on the Samsung and Sony TVs. Not sure £900 will happen at Black Friday, but it should drop to that in time. One of the reason some manufacturers have stopped making higher end LCD TVs is because once you get near the 1k mark, OLEDs are within reach, so there's little profit to be made. Between 900-1000 is what I'd target to pay for the Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90T.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member

The prices seem to be dropping quite nicely so I reckon you'll see some good prices Black Friday to the New year. If you can get in to a Richer Sounds to compare some sets I would definitely recommend that. They can play the same source content across the sets so you can compare them up close.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom