Torn between the Sony 65X950H or any similarly priced OLED

Tarts5

Hi,

Im looking to purchase a new TV, but I am torn between the Sony 65X950H or any similarly priced (but not more expensive) OLED TV. For example the LG OLED65BX.
Things to consider:
  • The TV will be placed on a wall next to big windows that dont have darkening curtains (the TV and the windows are at an 90 degree angle). Direct sunlight to the room is limited from sunrise until about 3PM-4PM. Currently I own a rather old Samsung UE48H6400 and I am having huge glare/brightness issues when looking at the TV during this time.
  • I also have 2 ceiling lamps that kind of reflect from my current TV, so good reflection "handling" is important
  • I own a 2019" Nvidia Shield (Android TV based "box") that I could gladly keep using, so the TV-s OS is not important
  • any "Gaming" features are not important to me.
  • Most of the content consumed on the TV would be "regular" TV channels (I think most are like 720p, some worse, some better) and the highest quality movies/series you can get (so from either Netflix, Amazon or "other" sources).
  • I have never seen HDR content, but it seems to be the next big thing to have, so at the moment, I value this highly. Or shouldnt I ?

Thanks!

DavidT

I have a 65XH9505 with a large window in a similar position and the rainbow effect caused by the tv screen coating nearly made me send the tv back. I have resolved the issue by installing blinds on the window.

Tarts5

I have a 65XH9505 with a large window in a similar position and the rainbow effect caused by the tv screen coating nearly made me send the tv back. I have resolved the issue by installing blinds on the window.
Thank you for letting me know. Can you describe in which situation does the rainbow effect occur?Do you think my ceiling laps in front of the TV would cause it?

Dodgexander

You may want to go for an OLED that gets brighter than the BX if you're fighting glare. It will be better than your current TV most of the time, but is dimmer than other OLEDs. Working with a limited budget see if Philips sell the OLED705 or Panasonic HZ980. Panasonic may be called something else locally like HZW980.

Rainbow effect is caused by the wide viewing angle filter on the Sony, but its very situational whether you'll see that or not.

The very best models at fighting glare are Samsung LCD TVs like the Q90T/Q95T. They have a wide viewing angle filter too though. The coating comes hand in hand with better anti glare.

Tarts5

Do you know if the successor to the BX, the B1, is any better regards brightness? Cant find any reviews yet about the B1.
The OLED705 is available but is about 150 EUR more than the Sony, and the Sony already was stretching my budget :( . But would you recommend the OLED705 over the LG BX? I may still consider it if it would be a lot better suited for me.
What about the Sony X900H instead of the X950H. I know it is a lower class, but it doesnt have the X-Wide coating - so no rainbow effect, but worse viewing angles.
In terms of OLED-s, Im a little bit scared that in my case, I would need to run the TV with constant high brightness and this would increase the burn in risk?

In terms of viewing angles. Im seated at about 4 meters from the TV. My eye level is about 90cm from the ground and the center of the TV is about 165-170cm from the ground. Would that be considered a big angle or...
Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Sorry I don't know with the B1. Its likely to be like the BX with brightness. The A1 is even dimmer than last years BX.

In 2019 the B9 was almost as bright as the C9 though, so its possible it could change.

Regarding the XH90/XH95 comparison it really is situational. I don't think its wise to assume that you too will see the rainbow effect, afterall; every room and situation is different. Typically its a much better idea to go for the brighter XH95 since it will cope with glare a lot better.

By comparison, the XH90 doesn't as bright (circa 750nits) which is fine for SDR usage in a bright room, but may be problematic with HDR. With an LCD TV you loose depth in the picture having low brightness compared to an OLED...so 500 peak nits from the BX OLED will look better with HDR than 700 nits on the Sony XH90.

Given OLEDs that get brighter seem to cost more though, together with your viewing conditions I think your best bet is sticking to an LCD TV like the Sony XH95 or Samsung Q90T/Q95T. The Sony XH90 will also be fine as long as you are prepared to have a darker picture when using HDR (some light control will be needed here).

I don't really think having the backlight on full will really harm an OLED long term unless you're watching a lot of content with static elements. I think anyway it just makes more sense for you to go with an LCD TV since you negate the disadvantage of poorer light control by using the TV in brighter conditions.

Make sure if you can to buy from a reputable retailer with a good return policy, if you do happen to get a problem like the rainbow effect, you can still return the TV.

DavidT

Thank you for letting me know. Can you describe in which situation does the rainbow effect occur?Do you think my ceiling laps in front of the TV would cause it?
Below is an example....

The sun hasn't come around yet but it is still a bright day.

Attachments

• IMG_20210824_095345.jpg
    IMG_20210824_095345.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 44

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
I have the 65" XH95 in a very bright Room and hardly ever notice any rainbow effect. It's a superb television for the money and the HDR and upscaling along with motion is sublime. With you requirements and budget I'd go with an LCD like this.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom