1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

torn between runco cl500 & barco cine 7lt

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rahulkohli, Jun 18, 2003.

1. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    based on picture quality what is better. i will be wathcing tv, dvds etc but also playing ps2 games on an 8ft screen. so there will be a little bit of light in the room at least. i have heard that the crt will not be good with the light.

the guy at the shop said that the dlp projector would be better becuase the crt is too bulky. etc

any advice guys. i need help

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    It pains me to say this but if you can't black the room out then the benefits of the improved black level and hence contrast range will be lost with the CRT. If all your really want is just a BIG TELLY then the DLP may be the way forwards. If you want to take home cinema seriously then CRT will win on picture quality but you will have to loose the extra bit of light.

Quote" the guy at the shop said that the dlp projector would be better becuase the crt is too bulky. etc" sound like the typical advice from a trained audio person. Too heavy for them to put up not qualified or knowledgeable enough to install. Sell the DLP we could be out of there in 20mins

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Having used both I'd go with the Cine7. The CL500 is good but no match. However if you can't go full dark like Roland has mentioned it would porbably be ok.

4. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the help guys. i could go pretty dark im guessing but becuase i will wanna play ps2 games on it aswell and you need at least a little bit of light when using it, it makes sense to go with the runco.
    are there any other good projectors around the 5.5 - 6.5 mark. so far only the sim2 ht200 has been compared to the runco. not really anything else in the range that i have been advised on.
    cheers.

5. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    In about two weeks I'd guess the replacements for both those DLP's will be shown at CEDIA in Brighton. Perhaps you might want to wait see what happens there. Go to Runco site and look for specs on CL510. Dont know what SIM2 unit will be called. InFocus will also be showing a unit based on same chipset as well....

DLP being better because CRT is too BIG.......ER.....are you going to carry it around or look at the pictures it projects?

EDIT: This is not ELLIOT. This is GordonF. I am in London seeing clients and popped in to see Elliot, borrowed is laptop when he wasn't looking

6. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +606
    I had a modified dlp (nec 100) with 800 lumens and around 700:1 contrast ratio. then I changed this for a sony 1271.

I have moved on to an nec XG, even with a little bit of light in the room both crt's are far better with games than the digital on all areas, and when you are watching a film, well , there is no contest.

why dont you look at a used crt for serious film watching and a cheap second hand digital for games, I was going to do this thinking that the digital would be better for gaming and when I saw for myself that it wasn't I gave up on the idea.

8. rahulkohli

rahulkohli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ^^^ basically im getting a custom home installation so i can only get one projector. so i want the best projector for all situations. the thing is that becuase when wathcing films we will prob go completly dark then the cine 7 will seem the best. so i may be persuaded for that.

9. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a CL500 and used it for 3 weeks... I then returned it to the dealer..

Make sure you demo the unit using fast panning material.. try the matrix region 1 (when Neo is in the car passing, chapter 9/10 ish) my unit pixelated and just couldnt handle the panning..

How do you plan to use the projector, I couldnt get 4:3 materials to display properly, the TV looked awfull on it aswell..

Also take a look at the Benq website... They have an almost identical projector.... mmnnn

I personnally hated it and would feel bad not to highlight my problems with it... I know own a Barco 808 Data, which I love.

10. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    rahulkohli,

Is this the same guy who's doing your custom install ?? I wouldn't be too impressed if it was, I'd expect someone in that position to be offering me demo's of previous installs with CRT and DLP to check out the difference......

My advice would be to try to see CRT in action and make your judgement then.......

Sean G.