• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Torn between iPads

PeterH988

Prominent Member
Time to update my iPad 3, I'm torn between the new iPad (32gb) or a refurb air2 (64gb)

Main use is watching films (when the rest of the family want to watch karaoke TV that infests saturday night currently), Sky Go app, a few lightweight games, email, web, twitter. No number crunching apps needed.

The newness of the iPad and its chip, v the increased storage of the refurb.

Anything that would help me decide?

Thanks

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
Google 'iPad 2017 vs iPad Air 2' and you'll find some good comparison articles.

I'm looking at these two in their 128 GB versions.

The non-laminated screen and lack of spec improvements, other than the processor, on the 2017 seem to stop it getting 'must have' upgrade recommendations. They suggest a pre-owned Air 2, with its thinner body and lighter weight make it better value against the 2017.

I'm still not sure which way to go, as the Air 2 is a couple of years old now, so you'll be in support longer with the 2017 and it has a faster processor, but its screen keeps getting picked up on as a step backwards.

Flatcoat

Established Member
I would go for the refurbished Air 2 which is what I did when they announced the new 'iPad' earlier this year. The Air 2 is lighter, thinner, and has a better screen.

I have now ordered the Pro 10.5 from Apple which will arrive on Tuesday. It supposedly has a better screen for use outside which is important to me. Buying it from Apple, I can try it for 14 days and return it for a full refund if I do not like it.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
I'd go for a refurb Air 2. As above, the screen is better, and it's cheaper. I've bought a few 64GB models for friends recently.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I'm still not sure which way to go, as the Air 2 is a couple of years old now, so you'll be in support longer with the 2017
Being a 64 bit device the Air 2 will support iOS 11 when it is released this autumn 2017, so compatibility is not a live concern. We will be into the next decade by the time the Air 2 is cut off by Apple, by which time one would naturally purchase new hardware anyway.

@PeterH988 your usage does not require the absolute later hardware at all so if there is a need to put money towards other things then buy a refurbished Air 2, which remains an excellent tablet

PeterH988

Prominent Member
Being a 64 bit device the Air 2 will support iOS 11 when it is released this autumn 2017, so compatibility is not a live concern. We will be into the next decade by the time the Air 2 is cut off by Apple, by which time one would naturally purchase new hardware anyway.

@PeterH988 your usage does not require the absolute later hardware at all so if there is a need to put money towards other things then buy a refurbished Air 2, which remains an excellent tablet

Thanks, I'm heading that way, I think the decider for me is basically getting a 32gb 'upgrade' for £20 with the Air2. If the new iPad had a 64gb option, I'd probably go for that, but 128 is overkill for me. I still have about half the storage free on my 64gb iPhone.

Steven

Senior Moderator
@PeterH988 think it depends on usage. I use my iPad and phone differently and definitely appreciate the 128gb capacity on the iPad for offline iPlayer viewing but even then if you only see yourself streaming content and not downloading many apps / games then 64gb should be fine.

PeterH988

Prominent Member
@PeterH988 think it depends on usage. I use my iPad and phone differently and definitely appreciate the 128gb capacity on the iPad for offline iPlayer viewing but even then if you only see yourself streaming content and not downloading many apps / games then 64gb should be fine.

I'm fine with my current 32gb limit, the only thing that made me think about getting a bigger storage size was my mother has recently spent some time in hospital, the over priced TV service wasn't working, so I thought I could use 64gb to store a lot more films to watch if I ever had to go in.

Hopefully I won't be going in hospital anytime soon, or ever, so I can justify going an extra £20 for 64gb, but not really the price of 128gb.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom