Torn between Archos AV560 and 700 TV

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by tigermad, Aug 5, 2006.

1. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Hi

I was thinking about buying one of the above portable PVRs.

I am 80% sure I would like the 700 tv because of the built in Freeview.
    But one major flaw I have found is that the 7" screen has a slightly lower resolution than the 4" screen on the 560.

Surely Archos should have increased the resolution since it has a bigger screen?

It also seems funny that they don't include the tv dock with the 700. I guess they presume that you will just record of the internal freeview, but I would also like to record off my DVDs and Sky Plus Box.

Can anyone shed any light on whether the screen resolution will bother me?

2. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I have an AV560 (which is £279 now) and it's excellent. I saw an AV700TV in Dixons at the airport and they had recorded the tennis on it, I thought the quality was pretty good. Note the AV700 and 560 both use the same number of pixels on the screen (480 x 272), it's just that the size of the AV700 might make it look a little worse, but then again you will see it from farther away.

One thing I did note with the AV700TV's in Dixons was that they seemed to run hotter than my AV560.

3. miltie

miltie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i live in the states and cannot get the 560.

is it the same size as the 500 or is it thicker like the 100gb version 0f the 500? other than the dc outlet(i guess i would need a converter), is everything else the same as the 30gb model?

4. FrankS

FrankS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    It's the same as the 100GB version with a 60GB disc drive. It seems a special for the dixon's currys group here in the UK, I haven't seen them anywhere else.

You could try their web site http://www.dixons.co.uk/martprd/sto...null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=108042&category_oid=

Or if you know anybody visiting the UK they could pick one up at their duty free shop in the terminal (no 17.5% VAT)

The power adaptor that comes with it is a universal one complete with various adaptors, to use it in a US socket then no adaptor is needed. Just used mine on a return trip to Houston, much better quality than the screen back LCD.

5. tigermad

tigermad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +710
    Thanks for the replies :)

I decided to go for the av560 in the end. I saw the screen of the 700 in currys digital and didnt like it.

I have had a little play and really like it. Just trying the best compression for dvds using handbrake. I think I will make all the films 500 meg. Does this sound ok? I just took a look at final destination that i compressed to 500 meg and it is still watchable.