Tories propose banning plasma screens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
I like the 2% of energy used is due to products in standby.....im sorry but that sounds a little excessive to me, wonder how they reach that figure...

think about it, the consumption of a lot of household products is actually pretty high when they in full flow, kettles, irons, w/m, dryers, d/w, amplifiers, hair dryers etc.....not to mention any electric heaters......im surprised 2% of a households energy in a day is the standby mode......most houses might have what, 4 maybe 5 items.....as an average.......granted more houses will now have mobile chargers left plugged in as well, but even so, considering what a dryer goes through in a cycle it just doesnt look like it would add up to me.......

im all for saving the planet etc but this stuff by the government is really them just meddling around to make themselves look like they care, they couldnt give a toffee, can you really see them running around their own homes switching stuff off then on again?....i'd rather they spent more time combating the mW amounts of energy wasted in industry and fossil fuel usage in automobiles than tiny amounts of wattage in a home.....

krish

Distinguished Member
errr the Govt?

I'm pretty sure John Major's moved out of No 10 ;)

Tory toff eco-warrior Cameronian rich boy Zach Goldsmith was on the Beeb's Andy Marr show this morning and denied that they proposed to ban plasmas

Anyway, all academic, as they're facing a fourth successive battering at the polls with Dave the chameleon :D

Steven

Senior Moderator
There's a good Guardian article (google) that shows standby has minimal effect on your bills. The big wasters of leccy are the shower, dishwasher and washing machine (and also water incidentally :p)

Strange the tree huggers haven't told people to stop using those :rolleyes:

Knyght_byte

Distinguished Member
easy way to see the standby effect is to check your meter if its a non LCD one......with just the fridge going you will just about see something moving....without the fridge on but a few appliances in standby you'll have to sit there an awful long time to see movement....lol

i work for an energy company now and its amazing what makes the differences..lol.....one of the biggest contributors is the clothes dryer...uses huge amounts of electricity.....only other thing to use more will be an E7 electric water or storage heater being used on the daytime rate....or of course a 7.1 system biamped with Parasounds.....lol

Mr Incredible

Distinguished Member
I'd rather the politicians stick to controlling thier own output before dictating how they'd like us to manage ours. How many governement buildings do you see unoccupied at night time with many burning lights? Get a grip, please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom