Torchlight screen tearing

Dan360

Hello,

Torchlight was one of the games I picked up in the recent Steam sale. Now I think it's a great game but I can not seem to stop it tearing.

Running at max settings, 1080p res, V-sync on, I get a couple of tears constantly about one third of the way down the screen.

V-sync on in game options = tearing
V-sync on through catalyst = tearing
V-sync on through D3D overrider = tearing
Set screen hz to 30 instead of 60 with v-sync on = tearing about an inch down the screen but still constant.

V-sync off on everything = no tearing but game running at 500 fps making my GPU squeel at me :)

Are there any of other options to to try and stop the tearing?

Thank you,

Dan360

Not that anyone really cares but FYI everything runs super smooth in Window mode with V-sync on.

Disable crossfire and use V-Sync I get no tearing but constant stutter where the tearing once was. FRAPs shows fps flicking between 59 and 60 very fast, I guess this is causing the stutter.

jellofund

Distinguished Member
Not sure if it will help with this but I sometimes use Riva Tuner (part of MSI Afterburner) to limit the framerate when I have issues with tearing.

You could always try setting it to 57 or 59 to help avoid the spikes.

Even with v-sync enabled some games don't seem to limit the fps in loading screens so I use it on them too, as my card starts to sing a bit when it goes over the 2000fps mark.

Dan360

Locking at 57 or 59 seems a good idea, I will try it as soon as i'm home from work.

TBH I'm happy enough playing window mode, it just annoys me a little that I can run much more intensive games buttery smooth but something as simple a torchlight isn't performing as expected... Then again after swapping from Xbox to PC I have come to realise that nothing works as expected and that every component / game has its own little quirks :thumbsup:

Dan360

Crossfire off, full screen mode on, MSI afterburner holding fps at 60, v-sync on =
Silky smooth game :smashin:

jellofund

Distinguished Member
Glad that worked :)

PC gaming does throw you the odd curveball now and then but it's worth it to be able to play games at decent resolutions, framerates and with anti-aliasing and all the other whistles and bells enabled. As someone who was a longtime console gamer I do miss the 'consistency' of the experience (everything works out of the box) and some of the more niche games that don't get a pc release, but doubt I'd switch back now.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom