Torchlight screen tearing

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Dan360, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Dan360

Dan360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Hello,

Torchlight was one of the games I picked up in the recent Steam sale. Now I think it's a great game but I can not seem to stop it tearing.

Running at max settings, 1080p res, V-sync on, I get a couple of tears constantly about one third of the way down the screen.

V-sync on in game options = tearing
    V-sync on through catalyst = tearing
    V-sync on through D3D overrider = tearing
    Set screen hz to 30 instead of 60 with v-sync on = tearing about an inch down the screen but still constant.

V-sync off on everything = no tearing but game running at 500 fps making my GPU squeel at me :)

Are there any of other options to to try and stop the tearing?

Thank you,

2. Dan360

Dan360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Not that anyone really cares but FYI everything runs super smooth in Window mode with V-sync on.

Disable crossfire and use V-Sync I get no tearing but constant stutter where the tearing once was. FRAPs shows fps flicking between 59 and 60 very fast, I guess this is causing the stutter.

3. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,287
    Not sure if it will help with this but I sometimes use Riva Tuner (part of MSI Afterburner) to limit the framerate when I have issues with tearing.

You could always try setting it to 57 or 59 to help avoid the spikes.

Even with v-sync enabled some games don't seem to limit the fps in loading screens so I use it on them too, as my card starts to sing a bit when it goes over the 2000fps mark.

4. Dan360

Dan360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Locking at 57 or 59 seems a good idea, I will try it as soon as i'm home from work.

TBH I'm happy enough playing window mode, it just annoys me a little that I can run much more intensive games buttery smooth but something as simple a torchlight isn't performing as expected... Then again after swapping from Xbox to PC I have come to realise that nothing works as expected and that every component / game has its own little quirks :thumbsup:

5. Dan360

Dan360

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Crossfire off, full screen mode on, MSI afterburner holding fps at 60, v-sync on =
    Silky smooth game :smashin:

6. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,287
    Glad that worked :)

PC gaming does throw you the odd curveball now and then but it's worth it to be able to play games at decent resolutions, framerates and with anti-aliasing and all the other whistles and bells enabled. As someone who was a longtime console gamer I do miss the 'consistency' of the experience (everything works out of the box) and some of the more niche games that don't get a pc release, but doubt I'd switch back now.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012