Toppy Component output dark

yetanotherbob

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else found that the Component output from the Toppy appears over saturated/dark?

I thought I'd run everything via the amp and just use the one HDMI to the TV. I bought the profigold SCART to Component cable (nicely built btw) and fired up. To actually get a watchable picture on the Toppy one has to render the other boxes unwatchable with washed out colours and too much brightness

This isn't a trait of the amp's upscaling btw as it displays the same effect when connected directly as well

Back to RGB methinks :rolleyes:

Bob

Not really. I have my Toppy connected to my 4306 which also has an XBox360 on component and both appear about the same overall level. Perhaps the Toppy is a little darker and a little more over-saturated but it's nt critical I think. HDMI passthough stuff also appears about the same level.

What annoys me is the upscaling leaves a border along three sides when I have my TV set to underscan...

My parents have one hooked up via component. it's definitely darker / oversaturated compared to RGB.

My Toppy is both darker and oversaturated via component when compared to the built in freeview on my LCD TV. I fiddled for ages to get the picture to look normal (ie. comparable to freeview on my Samsung LE40R88BDX TV) yet its still not quite as bright, although the colour is a lot less 'in your face' now.

My Toppy too is more oversaturated & darker via component but not to the extent that RGB cannot be set to look almost identical. There is more brightness & what I call shiny glare from RGB, however since my TV has 3 memory picture settings it is not a problem. The adjustment required is not that great to get an equal good looking picture.
I still prefer component for it's richer smoother silkier tones.

My Toppy too is more oversaturated & darker via component but not to the extent that RGB cannot be set to look almost identical. There is more brightness & what I call shiny glare from RGB, however since my TV has 3 memory picture settings it is not a problem. The adjustment required is not that great to get an equal good looking picture.
I still prefer component for it's richer smoother silkier tones.

Egads! I forgot about the individual memory settings.

I think I may have found a use for the cool colour balance setting :smashin:

Bob

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom