Reaction score
Hi all,

So this is current system:

Topping PA5 amp
Topping E50 DAC
Monitor Audio RS6 speakers
Mark Grant 4mm Hi-Fi cables and jumper cables
Topping TRS cables

This replaced a bi-amped Arcam AVR300, which is a bit of a legend and more musically capable than most stereo amps when bi-amped.

So, the PA5 has impressive clarity and speration, better than the Arcam.

However, it really lacks some omph and power. I'm not sure how better to describe it, the bass is clear and tight, but not as forward and powerful. It's almost as if a section of the lower mids and higher bass is missing.

I'm interested if anyone else finds this with their PA5? Or perhaps the Arcam just genuinely excelled here?

Thanks!

Might be you have become accustomed the the sound of the Arcam. Can I ask how are you finding the E50? does it have issues with dropping out?

Might be you have become accustomed the the sound of the Arcam. Can I ask how are you finding the E50? does it have issues with dropping out?

It will be partly that I'm accoustomed to the Arcam. But rock and metal music just didn't sound as good, the PA5 is lacking there.

I assume there no element of burn-in with a Class D amp?

I've had no problems at all with the E50. The only slight critism is that I think it sounds better in DAC mode than Pre-Amp mode, but then there's no volume control on the DAC itself, only from source.

In 2 channel mode, the Arcam outputs around twice the power of the Topping. From the manufacturer's websites:

Arcam AVR300: Power output is 120 Watts per channel into 4 or 8 ohms (two channels driven at 0.2% THD)
Topping PA5: 65W x2 @8Ω THD+N <1%

Note also that Topping states a higher distortion figure which means that the power output will be even less when matching the lower distortion levels of the Arcam.

I'm unsure how much power difference bi-amping the Arcam makes (I don't know how this is achieved either?) but bi-amping would normally increase the output power thus increasing the disparity in power ratings of the two amps even further. I think this power difference is partly what you're hearing.

Whilst Monitor Audio state a high sensitivity for the RS6 speakers, independent testing gives a lower figure of around 88dB - not very efficient so would need a bit of amp power to fill a medium-to-large room.

And TechRadar noted during a review of the RS6 that, "The RS6 lacks a little output 220-600Hz" and "...relatively full and generous output through the bass region, 40-200Hz". This sort of bass response could be what you're hearing with the Topping whilst the Arcam's sheer power sort of covered up such shortcomings/unevenness in the RS6 lower frequency response. Just a thought.

Topping PA5 amp
Topping E50 DAC
Topping TRS cables

Just to check, are you using the balanced outputs of the E50 feeding the balanced inputs of the PA5 (and using balanced cables to do so)?

From reviews of both the Topping E50 and PA5, it appears that the E50 doesn't output sufficient voltage to drive the PA5 to full power when the unbalanced (RCA) connections are used - that's if I'm interpreting the reviews correctly:

Topping PA5 amp
Topping E50 DAC
Topping TRS cables

Just to check, are you using the balanced outputs of the E50 feeding the balanced inputs of the PA5 (and using balanced cables to do so)?

From reviews of both the Topping E50 and PA5, it appears that the E50 doesn't output sufficient voltage to drive the PA5 to full power when the unbalanced (RCA) connections are used - that's if I'm interpreting the reviews correctly:

It's a balanced cable, this one here:

In 2 channel mode, the Arcam outputs around twice the power of the Topping. From the manufacturer's websites:

Arcam AVR300: Power output is 120 Watts per channel into 4 or 8 ohms (two channels driven at 0.2% THD)
Topping PA5: 65W x2 @8Ω THD+N <1%

Note also that Topping states a higher distortion figure which means that the power output will be even less when matching the lower distortion levels of the Arcam.

I'm unsure how much power difference bi-amping the Arcam makes (I don't know how this is achieved either?) but bi-amping would normally increase the output power thus increasing the disparity in power ratings of the two amps even further. I think this power difference is partly what you're hearing.

Whilst Monitor Audio state a high sensitivity for the RS6 speakers, independent testing gives a lower figure of around 88dB - not very efficient so would need a bit of amp power to fill a medium-to-large room.

And TechRadar noted during a review of the RS6 that, "The RS6 lacks a little output 220-600Hz" and "...relatively full and generous output through the bass region, 40-200Hz". This sort of bass response could be what you're hearing with the Topping whilst the Arcam's sheer power sort of covered up such shortcomings/unevenness in the RS6 lower frequency response. Just a thought.

Bi amping on the arcam has a special mode where you can use the 6+7 surround channels to feed the main stereo speakers in addition to the 1+2 main channels.

Interesting about the 220-600hz range, I'll have to see if that where it sits.

The pa5 doesn't lack actual power, the volume and drive is certainly impressive..it's just that lower-mid / upper-lows that feels a bit "skipped over".

It may just not be a great amp for my type of music.

Did you see this thread from a few months ago?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom