Topping PA3 sub options

Eds1989

Novice Member
Hi there,

I have a small Topping PA3 desktop amp to power my Q Acoustics 3020 bookshelves.
I'd love to add a sub to this setup, but am not quite sure what my options are.

As the Topping only has speaker terminal outputs and no sub/pre-out, my understanding is I would need to find an active sub with high level inputs, and then probably speaker outputs that the 3020's would connect to?
I was looking at the Q Acoustics 3070s as it would fit my room and is reasonably priced. As this only has RCA inputs though, I don't think I could wire this into the speaker terminals on the Topping without risking damage?

In an ideal world I'd replace the amp for a 2.1 channel amp, but I can't find any that offer multiple audio inputs like the Topping has, which I'm making active use of at the moment.
Hoping someone can offer me some guidance on how to approach the sub, or alternative amps that would make life simpler?

EDIT: Perhaps something like the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 might be an option, fairly reasonably priced and has speaker level inputs?

Many thanks
Eds

Last edited:

dante01

Distinguished Member
Look at active subs that include a high level Neurik input. You can use the speaker terminals onboard amplifiers that do not have pre outs or a dedicated sub output to connect them to such an input:

by default 2022-05-08 at 10.19.37.png

BK, REL and MJ Acoustics all make subs that have such an input and option to use such a connection.

The speaker terminals being used for the connection to the active sub can also be shared with connections to your passive speakers.

Last edited:

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
Check of it's safe to do that wiring above on class d amps I read it can blow the amp up.

Sw-150 has high level input.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Check of it's safe to do that wiring above on class d amps I read it can blow the amp up.

Sw-150 has high level input.

Yes, it wouldn't be an option or advisable if using a BK sub for instance, but REL do facilitate such connections from D Class amps to their subs:

Eds1989

Novice Member
Look at active subs that include a high level Neurik input. You can use the speaker terminals onboard amplifiers that do not have pre outs or a dedicated sub output to connect them to such an input:

View attachment 1693752

BK, REL and MJ Acoustics all make subs that have such an input and option to use such a connection.

The speaker terminals being used for the connection to the active sub can also be shared with connections to your passive speakers.

Thanks for that.

I assume that any active sub with high level inputs (whether it be that funky connector or not), can be used?
Good to know too that as long as it's high level, I can wire both the sub and the speakers directly to the amp :)

I'll have a look at some options to see what works for me, but as I'm doing it on the cheap, my current thinking is the SW-150 mentioned previously :)

Thanks learned friends!
Eds

dante01

Distinguished Member
Thanks for that.

I assume that any active sub with high level inputs (whether it be that funky connector or not), can be used?
Good to know too that as long as it's high level, I can wire both the sub and the speakers directly to the amp :)

I'll have a look at some options to see what works for me, but as I'm doing it on the cheap, my current thinking is the SW-150 mentioned previously :)

Thanks learned friends!
Eds

If the active sub has speaker terminals that allow you to connect the amp's speaker outputs then yes. If it has RCA inputs then the amplifier would need to have pre outs.

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom