1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TopGun: Dodgy transfer?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jon Weaver, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    I just got 'Top Gun' from Amazon for a bargin price! (10 quid - £5 voucher from Empire Magazine.

However, I am really disappointed with the transfer. I know its an old film, but surely they could have done a better job.

The problem is that it wobbles!

I first noticed it wobbling on the opening 'Paramount' screen (I think its Paramount).. You can see the picture moving around.. Then, when ever there is text on the screen (i.e. the beginning credits) you can see them wobbling up and down...

The whole picture is moving, its just that when there is text (Which should be static) you can see it moving about.

Its like the original film stock was badly loaded in the equipement when it was sampled...

Surely someone would have noticed this and fixed it.. Espcecially for such a major release.

Then there is the sound. The rear effects (or absence of them ) in particular.

I had to stand on a chair and put my ear to the rear speakers to confirm that there was NOTHING coming out of them.. The only time they woke up was when they first encountered the 'Migs'. When the Migs flew from the front to the rear, their was a little surround sound, there was a little 'woosh' but thats it.

I havn't watched any more than that so I don't know if it gets any better.

Still a bargin for £5, but still not what I expected.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Jon,

I'm pretty certain what you've got is the very first batch of Paramount's original release. There were problems with this batch, including:
    a) the film disappearing halfway through, and seguing into "Braveheart"
    b) the "wobbling" you describe

I'd advise you to return it for another copy, as this one is blatantly defective, and under the various UK sales of goods acts that exist, you are entitled to a full and prompt refund, or an exchange of a new and fully working copy.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Pooch.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    But it only cost me £5.. I would rather have a bad copy for that price, than nothing..

I can live with the 'wobbling', but am intreaged about your "seguing into Braveheart"..

Are you saying that there is a clip (or more) from Braveheart in it?

Like I said, the wobbling isn't a major problem, but if there film isn't 100% then I won't be happy.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Credit where credit is due!

I dropped Amazon a line.. They are concerned that this could be a 'bad batch'.. So are sending me another copy...

Not that I agree with this.. there is no chance that another copy will fix the problem.. But, I will now have 2 copies...

I wonder if they will want the spare one back?

5. Popester

Popester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh......

I have an orginal R1 copy I bought about 18 months ago or more and it is absolutely fine. Widescreen and 4:3 and 5.1 sound to boot. Good quality picture, no wobbling, and certainly no Braveheart! Must indeed b a dodgy batch.

And as you quite rightly found out, Amazon would have to give you another copy and at the original price you paid.

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    The "sequing into Braveheart" was referring to the fact that some original batch copies of "Top Gun" had half of that film, before the picture froze or stopped, and then you had part of the movie Braveheart as well!

I don't have details as to how many DVD's were affected, but I think it was only a nominal amount, and it was only on Region 1 copies, as well. R2 DVD's got caught with the ropey picture thing, that you mentioned.

Pooch

7. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    Thanks for that. I have a R2 copy so am not affected by the 'Braveheart' problem.. Do you know if the R2 was re-released with a better picture?...