Topfield TF5800T and sound, 5.1DD etc?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by spook, Jun 3, 2005.

Tags:
  1. spook

spook
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, just ordered a toppy :thumbsup: , noticed that it has an optical digital audio out, does this mean that some Freeview channels have more than stereo sound?

cheers, Spook

2. CosmosD

CosmosD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Don't think any freeview channels broadcast anything more than stereo at the moment so although the Topfield will output a digital signal it will still only be stereo. Something for the future though hopefully.

3. asgura

asgura

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been here albeit with a Humax. As another poster has said, Digital Terrestrial transmissions in the UK are not in Dolby Digital. Therefore you will be as gutted as I was to find out that the Digital-out port is pretty useless, not only now but probably for years to come.

Don't despair however as most worthwhile programs are encoded with Dolby Prologic/II. This means that if you have the appropriate decoder (or Home Cinema DVD player) then you can connect your stereo outputs to it and enjoy 5.1 surround sound. (I'm not sure if you can use the DD out for PLII).

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The topfield outputs stereo PCM or dolby digital as broadcast. Well OK there is no DD yet, but there might well be. The ability to output digital is an advantage, the difference in audio quality is obvious between analogue and digital on my system. The D/A conversion is done in my amp that way, and fine though the Topfield is, it can't beat my Onkyo amp.

5. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just recieved the topfield and although the pic is great I do find the analogue out not as good as my nokia frieview box. Shame there is no coax digital as I don't have a 4metre optical cable. By the way who does optical cables this long? Cheers

6. MattB

MattB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try CPC

I use the 10m one, works great.

7. mark.king

mark.king
    Standard Member