Theres a lot of discussion about this new PVR availaible for £300 from here:
http://www.turbosat.com/acatalog/Topfield.html

Twin Tuner
160GB Hard Disk
Dual Decoding (PIP)
USB2.0 For PC Transfer
2000 Channels inc. TV & Radio
Exciting Games

Seems to be a viable option compared to several of the other 'Buggy' PVR's around.

i have one to replace my pace twin,ive tried every pvr so far the topfield is the best in many ways...

gary :smashin:

Going to look at one myself on Saturday and have more or less made up my mind to get one. I was initially thinking of a DVD recorder but this PVR will be better in many ways and it has the ability to backup to PC for DVD burning.

Gary, Have you tried downloading to a PC?

CosmosD said:
Theres a lot of discussion about this new PVR availaible for £300 from here:
http://www.turbosat.com/acatalog/Topfield.html

Twin Tuner
160GB Hard Disk
Dual Decoding (PIP)
USB2.0 For PC Transfer
2000 Channels inc. TV & Radio
Exciting Games

Seems to be a viable option compared to several of the other 'Buggy' PVR's around.

If you buy from Turbosat, as I have just done - don't forget to mention AV Forums in the box about finding the site :)

for some time ive been looking and waiting for a dvd/hdd recorder with a digital tuner, now ive just seen the Topfield TF5800PVR
and have noticed that you can download the programs to a PC for dvd burning, it seem that i will not even need a dvd stand alone recorder at all anymore, i would like to know the following:

when you transfer a 1hour program to the PC how long dose the time of transfer take?

I know that the HUMAX pvr has the option to key in a search box the first few letters of the program your searching for on the guide list, and the results come up with all the epposodes of that program for the week then you can simply reserve them all, this is ideal for soaps so you dont miss an epposode, dose the Topfield have that option too? or better still dose it have the option to record all eposodes of a particular program or series like sky+ dose?

ive tried a humax 8000 and the16:9 only seems to work on programs but if the epg was displayed the tv would revert into zoom mode cutting off the menues at the bottom of the screen, i had to keep manually selecting 16:9 to get the full picture again, thats one main reason why i returned the unit back to the shop.
dose the Topfield TF5800PVR stay in 16:9 mode perminantly on all osd modes once set?

is the remote control programable to ajust the volume on a sony tv?

and finnaly where is the best place to buy the Topfield TF5800PVR for the most resonable price and in stock?

I look forward to hear from you thanks

Martin

I have not downloaded anything that long-there is a turbo mode which will lock the pvr whilst downloading,which is much faster.

it does'nt have the search in the epg-i dont think any others do apart from HUMAX

i dont have any problems with 16:9 om my panny plasma

once you are used to its ways it is very good ie you can record 2 channels and watch a 3rd- or even a 4th pictur in picture so long as they are on the same mux as the recorded channels,i find this very usefull

the remote is not programable...

bought mine from turbosat 299 +10 delivery,they are the authorised distributors and have it in stock...

Gary

thanks for the info, ive just orderd one from turbosat too.
ill write a review when ive tryed it out.

Have seen on a site that this can do topup tv as well.
Firstly is this the case?
Secondly what is top up like for PQ?
Thirdly this PVR looks like the machine I have been waiting for
Edit
Answered my own question by reading another thread sorry should have looked. seems some are having problems. Need to wait for QVC to stock so I can send back within 30 days (not sure if they will though, I add that I don't buy from them realy)

Hi Guys first post newbie here....been checking this and other forums for a good while now trying to decide which PVR to go for, checked out the Panasonic in a shop looked cool but so much bad news about it and having had bed experience with Panasonic customer dont care dept before gave it a wide birth. Was almost set on waiting for the Inverto with a degree of doubt re the colour, size and some of the limitations then last night (Thurs) I stumbled on a post on digital spy from a guy whos has his hands on the Inverto and the Topfield doing a comparison. Both have pros & cons but for the extra cash the Topfield gives that double size HD, top up tv if required later and of course the availability to hook up to the PC. Plus its silver and goes well with most current AV gear. That clinched it for me, called Heathrow Systems of Yiewsley West London this morning and 2 hours and 25 miles later I was in the shop to collect it. ( sorry guys it was the last in stock ) Initial views with only limited play-time ..... Looks good. feels substancial, easy set up, instruction manual is quite limited and I guess no one told them that there is no point showing buttons for the remote functions by what should be colour when its printed in black & white. Like most of this type of gear I probably need to go on a course to figure it all out or play with it for a good few weeks. Found one or two gripes, disapointed with the epg layout & ease of reading it and the fact every time you move to a different channel listing to see whats on it changes the output to that channel :mad: .
I need to rework my aerial set up as it is still going through all my old gear & I am hoping that may be what is causing the picture to look a bit on the soft & smooth side, anyway not regretting the purchase so far which cant be bad after deliberating so long. Will report further when I have given it a damn good thrashing & try to answer any questions on the understanding my techie knowledge is not in the league of a lot of you. Cheers for now.

Figment

Re pic quality - get yourself a splitter, and feed the signal to both tuner inputs (ditch the patch through) - this improves the pic quality no end.

Just off to Williams Radio & Electrical (Folkestone) to have a look at these. Don't suppose I'll be coming home without one.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom