Topfield TF5800PVR - changes channels when a recording starts - is this normal?

mascot

When watching a previously-recorded programme on my dad's TF5800PVR, the playback will be interrupted and the channel will automatically change when another recording starts (to whatever is being recorded). It's incredibly annoying! This can't be right, can it? His Topfield is connected to his TV via SCART.

Is this normal? If so it is an incredibly stupid design decision by Topfield. My guess is that it's an auto-switching issue, possibly to do with SCART. We've tried different SCART leads but the result is always the same.

I've Googled the problem but can't find it anywhere (there's plenty about recordings jumping to the end when the recording finishes if you are 'chasing' it, which again seems like an odd design decision).

Any ideas anyone? Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. It's maddening!

JayCee

Distinguished Member
My guess is that it's an auto-switching issue, possibly to do with SCART. We've tried different SCART leads but the result is always the same
I don't have a Topfield PVR but I can tell you it has nothing to do with scart auto-switching.
Think about it...if you're playing back a previously recorded programme on it you are already connected and viewing via the scart connection.
Isn't there an option somewhere within its menu to turn off or disable programme switching?

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
It's not normal at all. What firmware is the box using ?

nwhitfield

You should update to the recommended firmware from toppy.org.uk which resolves all the avoidable channel switches.

There are some situations where a channel switch is unavoidable, but during playback is not one of them. (Though also worth noting that one of the side-effects of this is the loss of the ability to copy a recording, by pressing record while you're playing it back).

Sometimes, during live watching, a switch is unavoidable with two tuners - say you're watching BBC 1 and recording ITV 1, which are each on a different mux, and the box wants to record Dave (on a third mux), then it has to interrupt the live viewing as otherwise the recording would fail.

What you're seeing is a situation where, most likely, the recording that's scheduled needs to grab the tuner that you were watching before you began to play. And rather than do it silently, it interrupts the playback instead.

As mentioned, the recommended firmwares on the Toppy.org.uk site fix this.

(There is another quirk, common to all boxes that allow this sort of thing: you find as a result that when you stop playback you're no longer on the channel you were viewing beforehand. Some people find that confusing, but it's unavoidable.)

brookheather

mascot

Thanks for all the responses guys. Apologies for the acknowledgement delay, I've been having broadband issues.
Will try the suggestions.
Thanks again.

nwhitfield

I'd like to point out that there are other TAPs available; MyStuff is certainly flexible, but some people find it bewildering too.

I use a replacement EPG called EPG Navigator, which can set up automatic programme searches via UKAutoSearch, plus a couple of others to manage timers and jumps. Works for me, and I've never even felt the need to try MyStuff

rah123m

Standard Member
I'd like to point out that there are other TAPs available; MyStuff is certainly flexible, but some people find it bewildering too.

I use a replacement EPG called EPG Navigator, which can set up automatic programme searches via UKAutoSearch, plus a couple of others to manage timers and jumps. Works for me, and I've never even felt the need to try MyStuff
I have just bought a Humax HDR Fox T2 and want to clean up and re-use my Toppy 5800 for overflow duties when three programmes are on at the same time. When I used the Toppy I installed a number of Taps and have recently tried to update the unit without much success as I am on Windows 7 and the install only worked on XP. I too have found the various Taps available confusing.

Can you advise what you feel is the simplest update to use as I just want basic EPG and recording features that can be done using a Win7 PC? EPG Navigator sounds like it might be what I need. If so can you provide a link to the Tap and suitable update software?

Thanks

Top Bottom