Topfield- switching to it automatically - how?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by [email protected], Mar 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. janet.broad1@bt

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i am probabley missing something really obvious here. I have just installed the twin tuner pvr version to replace a phillips freefiew box. The philips used to switch the tv automatically to itself when switched on. The topfield seems to try to do this, the screen goes balnk with EXT1 in the corenr, but no picture appears and then it goes back to the TV internal tuner. I have th change to the topfiled via the tv remote.
    Anyone suggest what settings i need to change?

Ta

2. daffy

daffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had this problem. I set the VCR scart type in the a/v settings section to 'external a/v' and this seemed to work.

No idea why as it doesn't seem to be logically connected!

3. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    It should work fine if you're using the top TV SCART socket; the bottom one is for a VCR or DVD, and the setting for it controls whether the picture switches over when a signal is received from the device connected there, or whether the Satellite button on the remote switches passthrough on and off.

Nigel

4. janet.broad1@bt

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replyes. Amalredy using the top scart and it seems to by trying to change the souce as the tv screen flickers. Changing to the AV setting on the Topfiled seems to have sorted this. The tv is a bit old (about 6 years) so it may be something to do with the set. But as said before, it worked OK ont he cheap phillips

5. janet.broad1@bt

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry about the last post, but having switched the tv and the pvr off, even on the AV setting the pvr doesnt automatically appear on the screen. Is this a faulty box?

6. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    Try another scart cable?

Nigel.

7. janet.broad1@bt

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, tried this and no difference.

8. nwhitfield

nwhitfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    What about other sockets on the TV?

Other than that, I can't think of anything - the Toppy normally auto-switches without any problems, sending the usual signal via pin 8 of the SCART socket.

Nigel.

9. janet.broad1@bt

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I think i have found the answer to this. It depends on the order in which you switch the things on. If you put the pvr then the tv on, it ownt automatically switch. If you have the pvr running and then switch on the tv it works. Seems strange but thats how it is.

Cheers