• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Topfield PVR - how would you record programs to DVD?

A

andrewkay

I am considering a Topfield PVR with 250mb hard disk. It looks very good but I wonder how (if?) it is possible to record programs from it once they are on the hard disk?

I currently have a (new) Windows Media Centre and it is a very disappointing experience - it certainly does not reach the reliability standard that I and my family expect from a dedicated applicances. I am assuming that the Topfield acts just like a normal bit of hi-fi/av equipment.

Thanks for any help
Andy

ghislain

Andy,

I assume your asking if it is possible to transfer recorded programs from the hard disk of the Topfield to your Windows PC?
The short answer is yes but not without any hassle.
Topfield uses a properietary format to store information on the hard drive which means, once transferred, you have to let loose some additional software on it in order to make it work.
It is not a straight forward process!
I don't have any links at hand but if you Google around a bit I am sure you'll find plenty of info regarding how to accomplish this.

nwhitfield

It's actually not too hard to do, really. And on the Mac, it's extremely straightforward with MPEG Streamclip and Toast. You can find some detailed step-by-step guides and various other useful information via http://www.toppy.org.uk/search.php?dvd

Of course, you can just plug a DVD recorder into the second SCART, but make sure the box doesn't have any scheduled recordings about to happen, since on screen displays would muck up your DVD.

Nigel.

A

andrewkay

nwhitfield said:
Of course, you can just plug a DVD recorder into the second SCART, but make sure the box doesn't have any scheduled recordings about to happen, since on screen displays would muck up your DVD.
Nigel.

Thanks for that. This is what i had envisaged, not moving them to a computer. Being able to put hard disk recordings to DVD.

Any notion of what the quality of these recordings is likely to be?

Thanks
Andy

nwhitfield

It's going to depend on the quality of the DVD recorder; the Topfield's recordings are as good as broadcast quality - it doesn't apply any more compression.

There is at least one TAP which will suppress all on-screen messages, but even so,it's best to make sure the box isn't going to be recording, or tinker with it, if you're archiving via the SCART.

Nigel.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
I have done much the same thing using an SVideo connection from a Freeview PVR to a Pioneer 420 HDD-DVD machine and am entirely happy with the results - even if viewed on my 8ft projection screen. No, it isn't identical to the original, but its quite good enough. IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom