Topfield or Sony freeview with scaler

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Alec, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Alec

Alec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've yet to decide which freeview box to go with my planned lumagen HDP scaler & 50" panel.
    The picture quality is the only issue.
    Has anyone compared these 2 boxes through a scaler?

2. redpavlos

redpavlos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I use a Topfield Freeview PVR with a Fujitsu 50" panel. No external scaler here, but it's got probably the best internal scaler currently available with a plasma.

As it happens, I ordered a Freeview box for a TV elsewhere in the house, and it arrived this morning.

Tried it with the Fujitsu, looking closely and critically at a range of channels to compare. Both connected RGB SCART, using identical cables.

The results: absolutely identical picture quality, no visible differences whatsoever on any channel.

The limiting factor is the broadcast bit rate, rather than one of these receivers.

Found the Topfield to be slightly more responsive in displaying graphics on interactive services.

With the Sony, sound/vision timing seems spot on. With the Topfield, sound is very slightly delayed, but ok for normal viewing.

I'd be happy with either in terms of PQ on the plasma. The PVR facility on the Topfield is excellent and easy to use; recordings are entirely digital and indistinguishable from live streams.

3. Alec

Alec
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks redpavlos
    I'll probably get the good old reliable sony then.
    Alec