Topfield 5800 nightmare !

Dave H

Hi finally bought my Toppy and what a dissapointment.
I had a Pace Twin before and when it worked it was great, but got sick of the 0's recordings.
The main problem is the picture quality on the menus, I have it on RGB but the picture is terrible it looks a right mess.
too bright and out of focus,I have tried checking all my leads but still the same.
I decided to download mystuff and eit2mei to make the menu better but after four hours we still carn't get it too work :mad:
If I don't get this to be a least as good a picture as the Pace it is going back.

Dave

PS the signal is quite good but I am using a amplifier.

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
"too bright and out of focus" sounds like something the TV might be doing. What type of TV is it?

Your (amplified or not) aerial signal won't have any effect at all on the internally-generated menus.

Are you 125% certain you are using RGB? Have you tried turning the box to composite and back and see if there is any change while you do so?

Richard46

Hi Dave I had exactly the same response when I replaced my Pace Twin with the Topfield. Eventualy switched to using MyStuff (it did not exist when I got my Topfield) precisely because it looked more like the lovely Twin menus.

Since then MyStuff has developed to make the Topfield do stuff the Pace cannot dream of. I am sure your MS/eit2mei set up only needs a bit of tweaking.

Richard

IanSimmons

Novice Member
I decided to download mystuff and eit2mei to make the menu better but after four hours we still carn't get it too work :mad:
Hi - in what way doesn't it work? eit2mei and MS should be relatively straightforward.

1. Make sure your channels are set up as you want them, all scanned nicely with no duplicates.
2. Copy eit2mei into the Program Files folder. Start it up with the OK button.
3. Call up its menu (I think it's by default the Recall button when the Toppy menu is up - so Menu ->Recall). Select the full scan option and let it do its stuff. It will call up each channel on screen as it goes through them all looking for their schedules.
4. This takes a fair amount of time. Have lunch. It should finally create a Freeview.mei file.
5. Make sure eit2mei keeps this topped up with a background scan (another option on the very simple eit2mei menu).
5. Install MyStuff (4.54e is the latest version). Select it with the OK button. Wait while it loads, it doesn't take long.
6. Press EPG. You should get a MyStuff EPG. If you don't get a fully-populated program guide, MS may be looking for the wrong .mei file. Press Menu when within the MS EPG and you get all the configuration options of MyStuff.
7. If you look at the MyStuff manual, you'll see that option H1 must be set to Never. H3 determines the file to use. H4 determines how often MS periodically reloads the .mei file. Make sure these are all set up - the important one is the file itself.
8. If you have changed the file, you may need to reload it by using the setting on the bottom of the Settings menu. Not sure.
9. You don't have to, but I would also change option B2 to No to prevent Now and Next from popping up continuously on playback!

If this all works fine, copy both TAP files to the Autostart folder (important if you want to keep using them!), and Bob's your uncle. You can also configure both TAPs to avoid their reloading too often. I think the default is every 5 minutes - thereby adjusting themselves for programme schedule changes. 30 minutes is more than adequate.

I also schedule a full scan every night, but according to the author of eit2mei this shouldn't be necessary as long as the Toppy is regularly awake, eit2mei is in Autostart and the background scan is enabled.

Hope this helps!

P.S. The manual can be found at http://www.toppy.org.uk/~chunkywizard/MyStuff45xManual.pdf.

Dave H

Right thanks for your help, I finally managed to get the Mystuff and Emi thingy to work :clap:
But The guide is a horrible brown colour so I tried to download a new skin from the mystuff website (the top left one. andy sky+) but when I click on it , it brings up a small program on screen.
do I have to type it in or am I doing it wrong ?
ps even on the new guide the whites are to bright.

Dave.

PS Nigel my tv is a Panny 32 pk1 and Iam using a good quality scart
PS Nigel my tv is a Panny 32 PK1 and Iam using a good quality scart

Dave H

:oops: I had the scarts swapped round when I changed the boxes over :suicide:
The picture is good again :clap:
My wife wants to know if you miss a program is it possible to do a search in the guide to try and find when it is next on ?

Dave.

JohnTres

Standard Member
My wife wants to know if you miss a program is it possible to do a search in the guide to try and find when it is next on ?

Dave.
Dave,

I am interested in how you fixed the problem with the bright and out of focus displays with the Menus (OSD).
Are you saying that you did not have the Topfield connected to an RGB scart socket on the TV?

I got a new Topfield last week from Turbosat and noticed terrible flicker in the menus / EPG with the white lines on the blue background.
I tried it on two different TVs and saw the same problem - both setup as RGB.
Sent the Toppy back to Turbosat who have told me it is fine on their TVs. They are now sending me a replacement to try but I'm afraid that I will get the same results as before.

Any info you can give would be much appreciated.

John

IanSimmons

Novice Member

Dave.
Dave,

There are ways I think with one or two TAPs that I don't have (meisearch TAP?), but failing that the only way I know in MyStuff is to create a Control Timer with the programme name and get it to check all channels, then review the results. That's what I do if I want to see if there's a repeat, say on ITV2 or More4.

There are 3 ways at least of setting a CT up: press |> (Slow-Mo) on the highlighted programme in the EPG is the quickest. You may have to refine this, though, as it creates the simplest form. The second way you wouldn't be able to do if the programme has finished (press Rec twice in the EPG, and on the second screen change the Save Timer to a Create Search). The third is the most manual: go to the Control Timers dislpay and create a new one from scratch.

When a CT is set up, go to the Control Timer display if you're not there already (accessed via the white button at the bottom, then << or >> to get to it). The entry you set up will show you how many additional record timers it set up automatically, and how many it failed to set up because of timer clashes. If you searched all channels and got nothing, you know it's not repeated in the next 7 days.

If it finds some and you want to see when these timers actually are, use the << and >> to get to the Timers display, when all your scheduled timers will be shown. Just scroll until you find it. This is a bit long-winded and I'm sure there are better ways, but I'm a dab hand at this and it doesn't take me long!

Dave H

Hi The problem I had was the Pace twin had the video scart top and the tv bottom so when I changed too the Topfield I unplugged the scarts and just put them in the same slots :suicide:
I found the problem by pulling out the top scart ( supposed to be the tv one ) to see if it was loose and the picture never went off.
so I changed them around and bingo.
My tv is a Pannasonic PK 1 about 7 years old and the scart was about £25.

Dave.

Richard46

But The guide is a horrible brown colour so I tried to download a new skin from the mystuff website (the top left one. andy sky+) but when I click on it , it brings up a small program on screen.
do I have to type it in or am I doing it wrong ?
Dave left click on the skin picture to blow it up; right click on the .mcf file name at top of window and choose 'save target as'. :)

Edit When you have them on your hard disk just use altair to transfer to Program Files (not Auto Start) and they appear in MyStuff menu ar next bootup.

Dave H

Thanks Richard :thumbsup:

Dave.

captain747480

Novice Member

Dave.
Improbox (sort of) allows you to do this.

With Now and Next Info on screen press White and it will look for repeats of the current program. Obviously this is OK if you come in half way through a show but not if it has already finished.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom